Speculation: Leafs d-man shopping list this summer..

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I think Vatanen is equal to Rielly/Zaitsev and a better than Gardiner, my opinion.

Interesting.

To me, Vatanen is around the same level of player that Hunwick is. Hunwick is slightly better 5 on 5 but Vatanen is better on the PP. Rather bring in Hunwick for another year and hope the kids are ready after that.

I don't see the hype for this guy at all. Roman Polak outscored him at 5 on 5 this year.

genk

Nov 15, 2015
Interesting.

To me, Vatanen is around the same level of player that Hunwick is. Hunwick is slightly better 5 on 5 but Vatanen is better on the PP. Rather bring in Hunwick for another year and hope the kids are ready after that.

I don't see the hype for this guy at all. Roman Polak outscored him at 5 on 5 this year.

Is Vatanen really that bad?

Also, not a chance Vatanen is as good as Gardiner. Gardiner is a legit #1D. Can't believe the disrespect he gets from our fanbase.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Also, not a chance Vatanen is as good as Gardiner. Gardiner is a legit #1D. Can't believe the disrespect he gets from our fanbase.

The point is moot anyway.
I very much doubt we would be giving anything of serious value up for a player that might not even be on the roster until 2018 (or later).

Minnesota, NYI, maybe even Nashville are places to look.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

He is not bad at all, I just think he is getting over rated around here.

He had a down year this year, producing less even strength points than Polak and Hunwick did. Most of his possession stats have him right under Hunwick and above Polak. Then factor in his size and the fact that he just had a major shoulder injury...I would steer clear personally.

I would rather spend our assets on a D that will not give up a lot of shots against. The Tanev/Manson/Brodin/Muzzin type.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The point is moot anyway.
I very much doubt we would be giving anything of serious value up for a player that might not even be on the roster until 2018 (or later).

Minnesota, NYI, maybe even Nashville are places to look.

Not sure how keen we were to deal with Anaheim specifically, but part of the intrigue there might've been their motivation to trade due to expansion. I guess it's potentially one less avenue to explore, but I think we've got time and other options as you've mentioned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad