Leafs Core and Cap Looking Forward

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
2013/2014 Salary Cap

I do not buy the arguement we lose Kulimen at all..

Next year we have $ 21,547,000 in available space...with no cap increase which every one expects of 3-4 million

Who needs to be signed and at what price

Gardner 2.5m
Franson 3.5m
Fraser 1.3m
Phaneuf 7.0m

Carter 1.5m
Kulimen 3.5m
MCclement 3.0m
Raymond 2.0m
Bolland 4.0m

Total 29.3m

Losing

Reimer
Liles 3.875m

Space available 21.5 + 3.875 + cap increase = 29.375

Last edited:

JMcLeaf

Early predictions:

Bolland- re-signed
Kulemin- gone :(
McClement- re-signed
Raymond- gone
Ashton- re-signed
Bodie- gone
Phaneuf- re-signed
Franson- re-signed/traded
Gardiner-re-signed/traded
Fraser-gone
Ranger-gone
Reimer-traded

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I would say Ashton, Kulemin, Bolland and McClemant are all about 0.5m too high in my opinion (but that could change based off their play this year). Raymond I also believe would cost more in the 3.5m range.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Was hard to pick a number....if cap is up more and we can save a few $ we should be able to sign everyone and find a backup for 1m

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I'd expect the cap to be close to 70 million, 68 million minimum.

We also have 2.5m coming off the books I believe(tucker, Armstrong buyouts+retained salary)

so we should have 7-8m extra to work with.

I believe Raymond will be gone for sure, he's good but he's depth and will expect 2.5m+
Ranger is also a tough one, that really depends on his play going forward, but him or Fraser will be gone.

Kulemin stays for roughly the same price(bump up to 3m), same with Bolland(we need him!)

i think we could fit everyone, but we'll probably get rid of Reimer and save a million there as well.

that Liles contract definitely hurts us, hoping we can make a retained salary trade and take off a mil of his contract or something.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
No point in even thinking about this right now. Moves will happen almost guaranteed. Even if they don't, we will be fine.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

Next year we have $ 21,547,000 in available space...with no cap increase which every one expects of 3-4 million

Gardner 2.5m
Franson 3.5m
Fraser 1.3m
Phaneuf 7.0m

Carter 1.5m
Kulimen 3.5m
MCclement 3.0m
Raymond 2.0m
Bolland 4.0m

Total 29.3m

Losing

Reimer
Liles 3.875m

No backup?

Did Anson Carter come out of retirement?

leafspring*

Gardner 2.5m
Franson 3.5m
Fraser 1.3m
Phaneuf 7.0m

Carter 1.5m
Kulimen 3.5m
MCclement 3.0m
Raymond 2.0m
Bolland 4.0m

Total 29.3m

Losing

Reimer
Liles 3.875m

The caps escalation is not known by anyone but there is a consensus here of the amount.lol well that's not surprising seeing everyone,knows everything around here. Most here wouldn't know their arse from a hole in the ground on cap escalation.

SteveV*

The caps escalation is not known by anyone but there is a consensus here of the amount.lol well that's not surprising seeing everyone,knows everything around here. Most here wouldn't know their arse from a hole in the ground on cap escalation.

Such eloquence...

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
No need to talk about next year's cap. We have zero idea how high it really is going to go up.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
While they may bring useful qualities to our team, I pray that we do not sign Raymond or Bolland to multi-year deals. We have a plethora of young bodies who should land those spots. We can't afford to be paying multi-millions to depth veterans. Big money has to go to the core.

I wish St. Louis was tight to the cap next year. I think right now they have around $42.5 tied up next year with the following to sign: Roy, Steen, Berglund, Morrow, Sobotka, Schwartz, Halak. I wish they were tight so we could poach Steen back for our 1st line.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't worry about the cap for two reasons:

1) The cap always increases.
2) If the Leafs want a player and the player wants to stay in Toronto, they almost always make it work.

Kibago

Aug 15, 2010
the key for us is hopefully Liles can be moved next summer. we couldn't dump him this year because half the league was in the same cap crunch we were. that won't be a problem next summer.

I'm not saying we're going to get an asset back, but we shouldn't need to glue a 1st round pick to him or anything. maybe a team like the Oilers (bad D, lack of vets) would take him for a 5th-rounder

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
For captologists out there. Looking at the Leafs cap situation. Core players moving forward from this year and on.

We have tied up for the next 5 years including this year in:

Kessel
Lupul
Clarkson
JVR
Bozak

These are our core players moving fwd to the end of 17-18 season.

I want to get Bolland signed to add to our present core for our team. He becomes a must signing for me, Center depth is so important in the NHL. 4M per for 5 year may be the magic number.

Bernier and Kadri after next season will demand longer term contracts. This one is going to be iffy. Tough negotiations expected, but if Bernier proves he is one of the elite goalies in the NHL how does he not get paid?

Dollars are tight depending on the cap with this in mind.

Tough decisions ahead, players we will grow attached to. But I am not sure how much money will be left for Kule, Mcclement, Raymond, Fraser, Ranger, Reimer, Franson and Gardiner.

And what do we do with Phaneuf? This one is a tough, he will demand 6-7M for multiple years. His value is clear to our team, eats a tonne of mins, and plays against the best.

All in all, our future core and cap allocation is going to be something interesting to watch out for as we continue to rise in the NHL. A good and bad scenario when teams get better.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
we're going to have to say goodbye to someone.

for what it is worth: I want Bolland and McClement first (I think we'd miss what Kulemin would bring to the table, but to me, McClement IS our PK).

Defense wise:
Ranger, Gardiner, Franson, Fraser, Phaneuf

I say that Ranger goes, if Franson is great by the end of the year; he gets his pay day, Fraser gets a little something, and Gardiner.. (shrug). he's a mystery. I think the cog is Phaneuf and when he gets signed. (i'd say it won't go down to the wire, it will be done in season or not at all, imo).

i think what every team is hoping that the cap goes up tremendously due to the 6 outdoor games. [seriously - the league really needs to consider a luxury cap.] but if Pittsburgh can do it, we can do it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Unless Bolland puts up 50+ points, 4mil is too much.

Dude's making $3,375,000 aav right now.
giving him 4 and a bit to ensure he stays with us doesn't seem that bad. unless he gives us a discount. Nonis COULD spin that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
we're going to have to say goodbye to someone.

for what it is worth: I want Bolland and McClement first (I think we'd miss what Kulemin would bring to the table, but to me, McClement IS our PK).

Defense wise:
Ranger, Gardiner, Franson, Fraser, Phaneuf

I say that Ranger goes, if Franson is great by the end of the year; he gets his pay day, Fraser gets a little something, and Gardiner.. (shrug). he's a mystery. I think the cog is Phaneuf and when he gets signed. (i'd say it won't go down to the wire, it will be done in season or not at all, imo).

i think what every team is hoping that the cap goes up tremendously due to the 6 outdoor games. [seriously - the league really needs to consider a luxury cap.] but if Pittsburgh can do it, we can do it.

We have 27M tied up with:
Kessel
Lupul
Clarkson
JVR
Bozak

This is our core at the moment.

For the next 5 years, assuming the cap goes up to 70M at some point, that leaves 43M to sign the rest of our team. We have to identify who our key players to lock them up. Bolland and Phaneuf are guys we need to lock up. That's going to cost us conservatively another 10-11M

Leaving 32-33 M to sign the rest of the team. No one said becoming a contender was easy. We are going to have to say goodbye to someone. Kadri is a guy I can see storms rising when he is re-upped.

That's the point of this thread, who do we let go, who do we keep. Cap world makes this a debate in one's mind and heart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad