TSN: Leafs closing on 7 year deal with RFA Nikita Zaitsev

6 God

Jul 12, 2013
I find it hilarious that a bunch of internet GMs are questioning a (rumoured) deal made by a head office very aware of the fact they have 3 rookie of the year contenders (I'm being generous, sure. AM is the only choice) to re-sign in 3 years.

It's one season in the NHL, but this is not his first year as a pro. If they feel like he's a cornerstone piece, locking him up for 7 years at a low cap hit is brilliant given the 3 forwards will eat up ~18-20 million between them.

I'm an Oilers fan, we did the same thing with Klefbom and we got laughed at in similar fashion. That one panned out.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
And when it doesn't you'll quickly forget about it and find something else baseless to annoy us with.

Actually, it's the other way around :laugh: We'll forget about it and YOU will find a way to annoy HFBoards with baseless facts :laugh:

Joking aside, @King of the North, Josi is a different case. He at least played 1 season in the AHL and had good numbers then backed them up in the NHL. And yes, I thought it was a bad contract at the time. My point isn't signing Zaitsev to a contract, it's signing him to 7+ years based off 1 season. Why not sign him 1 more year, see if he can be consistent, then sign him 7 years? Even if Toronto has the best scouts in the world it doesn't mean they miss on a player too. This is what got Toronto in cap hell to begin with: Signing guys to long term deals before showing they can play consistently year after year (Finger, Clarkson, Phaneuf, Blake, Lupul). Toronto is playing very well and now's the time to be careful with signing the right guys to long term deals. You don't want to sign a guy you haven't seen play more than a year of hockey in the NHL then get stuck with the contract later on. I'm not discrediting him on his play this year either. Just seems foolish to sign him long term before seeing if he can do it again next year. That's all.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Actually, it's the other way around :laugh: We'll forget about it and YOU will find a way to annoy HFBoards with baseless facts :laugh:

Joking aside, @King of the North, Josi is a different case. He at least played 1 season in the AHL and had good numbers then backed them up in the NHL. And yes, I thought it was a bad contract at the time. My point isn't signing Zaitsev to a contract, it's signing him to 7+ years based off 1 season. Why not sign him 1 more year, see if he can be consistent, then sign him 7 years? Even if Toronto has the best scouts in the world it doesn't mean they miss on a player too. This is what got Toronto in cap hell to begin with: Signing guys to long term deals before showing they can play consistently year after year (Finger, Clarkson, Phaneuf, Blake, Lupul). Toronto is playing very well and now's the time to be careful with signing the right guys to long term deals. You don't want to sign a guy you haven't seen play more than a year of hockey in the NHL then get stuck with the contract later on. I'm not discrediting him on his play this year either. Just seems foolish to sign him long term before seeing if he can do it again next year. That's all.
Because he gets closer to UFA and can take us to arbitration then be a UFA next year. He has a season like this, then is on the open market, he will get Sekera type money. Also, let's not forget about the KHL threat. Pretty funny seeing an Oilers fan bashing the Leafs resigning Zaitsev considering the deals you just gave to Lucic and Sekera in Free agency.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Wait, you think 1 year in the AHL makes it ok, but several years in the KHL (A league better than the AHL) as well as being a #1 D for Russia internationally, and him proving he can adjust his game to NHL ice is different?

Are you seeing your bias?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Because he gets closer to UFA and can take us to arbitration then be a UFA next year. He has a season like this, then is on the open market, he will get Sekera type money. Also, let's not forget about the KHL threat. Pretty funny seeing an Oilers fan bashing the Leafs resigning Zaitsev considering the deals you just gave to Lucic and Sekera in Free agency.

Wait, you think 1 year in the AHL makes it ok, but several years in the KHL (A league better than the AHL) as well as being a #1 D for Russia internationally, and him proving he can adjust his game to NHL ice is different?

Are you seeing your bias?

And this is why I don't post much in Leaf threads because here I am trying to back you guys up and wanting them to succeed, but yet I am the one being attacked :laugh: I'm just throwing a warning to not repeat the same mistakes.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
And this is why I don't post much in Leaf threads because here I am trying to back you guys up and wanting them to succeed, but yet I am the one being attacked :laugh: I'm just throwing a warning to not repeat the same mistakes.

How are you backing us up? You are posting that this deal is a mistake, and you are an Edmonton fan, right? Hows Kelf's deal working? You said it's a bad move with one season, you were told he has more than 1 season of pro experience, and then use Josi as an example of someone who is "different" because he had a year in the AHL?

You are making no sense.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
You are forgetting the Bonus cushion that you get if you enter the season cap compliant (meaning you don't put anyone on LTIR before the 1st day of the season, which the Leafs did). That gives you an overage allowance of 7.5% of the cap (5,475,000). So, no, we don't have overages going into next season unless every bonus is hit, and that is at most $300,000, which is really nothing. Here is is directly from cap friendly.

I found the relevant section in the CBA. Most specifically section 50.5 (h) II. Here is specifically what it states.

So, I don't think the Leafs are in any cap trouble when it comes to bonuses. As they entered the season cap compliant. Could it become an issue in the future? Maybe, but it isn't currently.

You're misunderstanding the Bonus Cushion. Yes, the Cushion allows a team to exceed the cap by up to 7.5% during the season due to performance bonuses. However, after the season is over the performance bonuses actually earned are tallied up, and if the team is still over the cap as a result of those bonuses (the Bonus Cushion is not in effect now) then that amount over the cap is applied to the next season as an Overage.

The Bonus Cushion allows a team extra cap room during the season, but they still have to pay the piper after the season.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
You're misunderstanding the Bonus Cushion. Yes, the Cushion allows a team to exceed the cap by up to 7.5% during the season due to performance bonuses. However, after the season is over the performance bonuses actually earned are tallied up, and if the team is still over the cap as a result of those bonuses then that amount over the cap is applied to the next season as an Overage.

The Bonus Cushion allows a team extra cap room during the season, but they still have to pay the piper after the season.

This isn't a big deal though. We have Robidas expiring at the end of this season, and Lupul after next making us less reliant on LTIR

We also drop Michalek / Greening / Laich at the end of this season, as well as the cap hits from the Cowen + Gleason buyouts next year

Absolute worst case scenario is we dangle Bozak out in a trade and get some draft picks, and that is if we really, really need to.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Wow that's a lot of years. Hopefully the cap hit is <4.5M with that length, but I know he's been really good this year and Leafs fans love him.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I find it hilarious that a bunch of internet GMs are questioning a (rumoured) deal made by a head office very aware of the fact they have 3 rookie of the year contenders (I'm being generous, sure. AM is the only choice) to re-sign in 3 years.

It's one season in the NHL, but this is not his first year as a pro. If they feel like he's a cornerstone piece, locking him up for 7 years at a low cap hit is brilliant given the 3 forwards will eat up ~18-20 million between them.

I'm an Oilers fan, we did the same thing with Klefbom and we got laughed at in similar fashion. That one panned out.

If Mattews, Nylander, and Marner only take up <20 million/year in cap space, someone is giving the Leafs a deal.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
18 million comes off the books next year. Need to sign Hyman/Brown and might want to extend Boyle/McBackup. Even with rookie bonuses and getting a 5 million dollar D we're fine. More money still off the books the following year.

They have 16 million in cap space as of no-resignings. Zaitsev is at least a quarter of that. You're looking at 5 million-ish in bonuses. Hyman/Brown are probably 2.5 million combined. You have to fill Huwick/Polak/Boyle/backup roster spots. Even if you go cheap, that's another ~4 million.

Very quickly we're already at close to 16 million there, and that's with minimal re-signings and no upgrades. So it's almost certain the Leafs will be eating into LTIR from day one, which is as I said, less than ideal.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I'm not sure about this one. I like Zaits but if you're signing him long term I hope it's for a Gardiner type cap hit. Anything more and that's 15 mil between him, Rielly, and Gards. That's a solid 3 player signed at what they're worth but I still think we need "the guy" back there, a true #1

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
I'm not sure about this one. I like Zaits but if you're signing him long term I hope it's for a Gardiner type cap hit. Anything more and that's 15 mil between him, Rielly, and Gards. That's a solid 3 player signed at what they're worth but I still think we need "the guy" back there, a true #1

Worst case scenario, you move Gardiner, replace him with Dermott, and put the saved money towards a #1 or 2. Dermott-Zaitsev should be good enough as long as the pair ahead of them can deal with the tough minutes.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
How was that year 1? Marner 4th overall? Nylander 8th overall? They were bad then. And already stocked the farm system.

Why would the Leafs not look to compete now? The team is actually good. Their best players are on ELCs. Now is exactly the time to compete. They have their highest value players on cheap contracts.

So yes, the rebuild is over. It's time to play.

IDK how it's not year 1 of

"The Shanaplan/Lou" era

the way i see it, the last season and a half was the gutting of the failed Burke/Nonis era

stripping away as many deadly bad contracts as they could

i guesses i should have said , "year 1 of their rebuild" (aka, shana/hunter/lou)

next season we still need to lose some horrid cap hits like gleason/lupul/cowen and we are talking about a roster full of sophomores ,

i ain't jumping the gun and thinking these kids should be cup contenders.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
the year they tanked and got nylander they were fully expecting to make the playoffs (Clarkson signing, bringing in other vets). in no way can that be considered year 1 of the rebuild.

Well, see i believe you to be 100% correct on the topic but there is little point in argueing semantics with others on this

tbvh it's a POV issue

some see a "try hard to win and utterly fail" as a rebuild season

this was a utterly cap maxed /capped hell franchise / shipping draft slots out the door like skittles

"My true rebuild" started when they to shipped out kessel/dion/clarkson

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

oh come on now, your asking about bona fides?????

fine how about this

Zaitsev joined the KHL at 18? 4th overall pick into khl

khl allstar 2015 and 2016

#1 d on a championship caliber team, khl

makes the Russian national team and plays big minutes.

Rook season get thrown deep deep into the fire , no sheltering and looks to be standing the test in managements eyes.

thats good enough bona fides by me.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

oh snowflake relax, this is called "debate" not "attack"

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

You're warning Leafs fans to not make mistakes with player signings? I don't think Lou or Shanny hang out here very much.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
They have 16 million in cap space as of no-resignings. Zaitsev is at least a quarter of that. You're looking at 5 million-ish in bonuses. Hyman/Brown are probably 2.5 million combined. You have to fill Huwick/Polak/Boyle/backup roster spots. Even if you go cheap, that's another ~4 million.

Very quickly we're already at close to 16 million there, and that's with minimal re-signings and no upgrades. So it's almost certain the Leafs will be eating into LTIR from day one, which is as I said, less than ideal.

It's 16+ in cap space with a 18 man roster(12,5,1). Zaitsev for 4.5, Brown for 2.75, and Hyman for 1 gives us a 21 man roster with 14 forwards already and 8 million in space less whatever the bonuses are. Boyle is replaced by Fehr. If you want someone different like Gauthier than Fehr going down and Goat coming up actually saves money.

That's also with 6 defenceman, so you only need 1 more not 2. If you have 2 extras then that's another forward that's demoted for more space up to 950k for the 8th defenceman who could be someone like Valiev for example.

Then all that's left is a goalie. Assuming we sign some backup for a million that leaves us with 6.3125 to cover whatever bonuses we have this year.

If we assume 5 million in bonuses this year then we're under by 1.3 million. Sure we may want to go out and get an upgrade somewhere, but in doing so we also may end up losing Bozak and/or JVR's cap.

There's a decent chance we'll have to use LTIR next year, and an almost guaranteed chance that some of next years bonuses carry over to 18/19(maybe all of them)

But we're nowhere near in cap trouble yet, there's lots of options, and much of the team will be cheaper younger players when the big 3 get their raises in 1/2 years time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad