TSN: Leafs closing on 7 year deal with RFA Nikita Zaitsev

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Why is it that some fans think the Leafs don't get cap relief when their guys go on LTIR. Is it just an anti Leaf thing?
Horton and Lupul right now are the only two guys in question next right (right now). Horton is a definite and Lupul...is debatable.
Please look at the Leafs cap next year and include bonuses and I know the LTIR rules are a little confusing but basically it's this. Teams do not get cap punished for having players on LTIR.

In a way they do. The primary example being that LTIR Exception space can't be used to fit in performance bonuses. So if a team finishes the season utilizing the LTIR Exception then every dime of earned performance bonuses get carried to the next season as a cap overage.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Umm....What are you even saying?

Are you saying that I think the Leafs have peaked? I literally said that they are improving, which seems obvious anyway.

The Leafs are a legitimately a good team. They are young. They are improving. Their best players are on ELCs providing insane value to the club.

There is seriously no reason why they continue "rebuilding". How many more youth assets do they need? They have tons. They're winning now, and should be a legitimate contender next season and the year after. While Matthews and Marner are still on their ELCs is really the time to "go for it".

This whole post has so much wrong in it.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Don Cherry still thinks Toronto should have drafted Nick Ritchie over Nylander too :laugh:

Atleast someone would have punched the Lightning guy after he kneed Matthews. Now everyone knows, just hit the Leafs players as hard as you can, noone gonna steup up :P

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I found the relevant section in the CBA. Most specifically section 50.5 (h) II. Here is specifically what it states.

So, I don't think the Leafs are in any cap trouble when it comes to bonuses. As they entered the season cap compliant. Could it become an issue in the future? Maybe, but it isn't currently.

You seem to be ignoring that the bonus cushion means.

A team may exceed the cap because of bonuses earned, but the excess is deducted from the next year cap.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Atleast someone would have punched the Lightning guy after he kneed Matthews. Now everyone knows, just hit the Leafs players as hard as you can, noone gonna steup up :P

And gotten suspended for the last two games of a neck-and-neck playoff race, brilliant.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
It's 16+ in cap space with a 18 man roster(12,5,1). Zaitsev for 4.5, Brown for 2.75, and Hyman for 1 gives us a 21 man roster with 14 forwards already and 8 million in space less whatever the bonuses are. Boyle is replaced by Fehr. If you want someone different like Gauthier than Fehr going down and Goat coming up actually saves money.

(...)

That would be pennies... a good number of them, but still pennies ($161,667).

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
dont get too concerned over it... nhl teams employs guys making alot of money to manage their caps and even they make mistakes all the time. its no where near as simple as taking a look at a website might make a fan believe.

im sure the guys running the websites do the best job they can but when we remembet nhl doesnt release salaries its not easy

ive seen a guys caphit reported 1 way for a couple years... then it suddenly gets changed.

personally im very interested in this and spend at least 100 hours a year going over the teams and studying the contracts... by no means would i consider myself an expert

i certainly wouldnt get upset over a debate in march on a website message board.

but basic math says 13+ million in ltir plus amazing rookies with at least 4 mill in potential bonuses... isnt a good thing right off the bat.

id be preparing myself for distasteful news if i was a toronto fan

10.5 million in ltir next season

5/6 million in rookie, bonus, carry over cap hit

3.3 million in lost space with kessel,gleason,cowen

so only in leaf land is 20 effen million in dead cap hit, considered NOT cap hell.

just to give that some scale

Toews/kane= 21m cap hit

Crosby/malkin =18.2m cap hit

Ovi/backstrom= 16.2m cap hit

Last edited:

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
7 years, 30 million dollars isn't bad for a mid pair defenseman. They're probably just finagling over the signing bonuses.

More likely just decided to iron out the final details in the off season.

Leafs have had a busy schedule and a playoff race and now playoffs.

Lou also has a history of not generally doing deals during the season.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Matt Martin fought someone the next period for shoving matthews into the net

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
10.5 million in ltir next season

5/6 million in rookie, bonus, carry over cap hit

3.3 million in lost space with kessel,gleason,cowen

so only in leaf land is 20 effen million in dead cap hit, considered NOT cap hell.

just to give that some scale

Toews/kane= 21m cap hit

Crosby/malkin =18.2m cap hit

Ovi/backstrom= 16.2m cap hit

You're exaggerating the Leafs cap situation. We still have room to add a big time player if we wanted. In addition, the rookie cap carryover is not "dead cap" as it means our rookies lit the league up this year.

After the next year, Leafs will have another big chunk of $ come off the roster. Don't act like we're in a bad cap situation. The only bad cap we have is a permanent LTIR Horton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad