Rumor: Leafs close to signing Devin Setoguchi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The Leafs could invite various UFA players to camp on PTO (pro tryout contracts) that don't count among the 50 contracts and let them try and earn a contract with a good camp not just Setoguchi.

The Maple Leafs have invited undrafted 20-year-old right winger Michael Joly, teammate of Frederik Gauthier on Rimouski Oceanic, to their training camp in the Fall, according to TVA Sports.

Read more at: https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015/06/09/maple-leafs-invite-michael-joly-to-training-camp/

Former Calgary and Washington Capitials winger Curtis Glencross is another name that has been connected to Toronto and remains unsigned. The 32-year-old has seven straight seasons scoring in double figures.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike...r-Roster-With-Training-Camp-Invites/120/70456

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
The Maple Leafs have invited undrafted 20-year-old right winger Michael Joly, teammate of Frederik Gauthier on Rimouski Oceanic, to their training camp in the Fall, according to TVA Sports.

Read more at: https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015/06/09/maple-leafs-invite-michael-joly-to-training-camp/

Former Calgary and Washington Capitials winger Curtis Glencross is another name that has been connected to Toronto and remains unsigned. The 32-year-old has seven straight seasons scoring in double figures.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike...r-Roster-With-Training-Camp-Invites/120/70456

For some reason I've always liked Glencross going back to his days on the Oil. Saw him play with the Brooks Bandits way back as well. The guy is a competitor for sure. Would not be opposed to him being on the Leafs this coming season. Would certainly prefer him over Setoguchi. But by all means, invite them both. Nothing wrong with competition!

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
For some reason I've always liked Glencross going back to his days on the Oil. Saw him play with the Brooks Bandits way back as well. The guy is a competitor for sure. Would not be opposed to him being on the Leafs this coming season. Would certainly prefer him over Setoguchi. But by all means, invite them both. Nothing wrong with competition!

Dunno what happened with him as a Cap:help: i still think he have some gas left in his tank. Well if he signs with the Leafs,even as a pto, it means one spot less available for Nylander or Marner!

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
At one point Flames were saying he was essential and a Flame for life (GlenX)

He's never played a full season. Last season he played 71 games, and had his best point production in 3 years.
Scores more than Matthias and Arcobello, not PAP

Last edited:

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Is there some kind of curse for the high scoring Sharks players? Cheechoo anyone?

One isn't anything like the other. Cheechoo's NHL career went south with his double hernia surgery. He wasn't exactly a great skater even before that.
Cheechoo was a good player with or without Thornton , responsible both ways and a hard worker. Before he got moved to playing with Joe he scored 28 goals in a season on the Sharks 3rd line.
Saying Cheechoo was simply a product of Thornton is just uninformed and ignorant ade by people who don't know what they are talking about.

Setoguchi on the other hand liked to party and live the life of a young pretty millionare instead of working hard and focus on his career.
Although he said in an interview lately that he went to rehab and has been clean and sober for 5 months now I think it may be too late for him to revive his NHL career.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
So - if Seto and / or Glencross come in and play really well - who gets moved to make the necessary contract room?

Do we have any 'unvalued' prospects taking up contract space anymore?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So - if Seto and / or Glencross come in and play really well - who gets moved to make the necessary contract room?

Do we have any 'unvalued' prospects taking up contract space anymore?

I really don't see Seto earning a contract, but Glencross could be an interesting add, probably a 2nd-3rd+ at the deadline.

JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Matthias-Bozak-PAP
Glencross-Holland-Panik
Komarov-Spaling-Winnik
Beck, Carrick

I believe Carrick requires waivers now...and if he does i'd take my chances on losing Arco vs Carrick

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly-Polak
Marcinin-Robidas
Hunwick

Bernier
Reimer

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

Would love to see Glencross on a tryout. I think he would mesh with the team, and could have some real value either as a long term addition or trade-chip. Bringing in a 15-20 goal guy that has speed, PK ability, and a strong work ethic is a great way to fill out the roster.

I mentioned his name earlier in the thread as someone left in the UFA barrel that has more potential than Setoguchi. Happy to know we are still exploaring free-agent options. There are a ton of guys still out there.

Drafting Marner and trading for Kapanen is like buying a Guardians of the Galaxy on Blu-Ray. Worth the price, because you can't get that quality entertainment any other way. But not every movie/show is that good, and who can afford everything on blue ray? Bringing in Glencross on a PTO is like downloading episodes of the Big Bang Theory online in low resolution. Qulaity isn't there, but at that price you know the content you are getting. Can't complain.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I like Sam, but we're going to need Mark's NHL 17g, this year.

Are we though? We're rebuilding, and i'd rather risk losing Arco then then Carrick on waivers. Think Carrick is a real nice 4th liner, reminds me of Shaw.

Arco is 27 years old and seems the journeyman type.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Are we though? We're rebuilding, and i'd rather risk losing Arco then then Carrick on waivers. Think Carrick is a real nice 4th liner, reminds me of Shaw.

Arco is 27 years old and seems the journeyman type.

Both are more or less dime a dozen players. Carrick will be nothing more than a 4th liner and we could maybe get like a 7th for him. Arcobello isn't amazing but he did score 17 goals last year. If he gets steady time in Toronto he could be flipped for something slightly higher than Carrick.

Neither will likely have a future with the Leafs but I would bet on Arcobello over Carrick.

Odds that Carrick tops out with Shaw's offensive numbers are very low too. If Shaw doesn't provide his offense he doesn't play in the league.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Don't mind the idea of a Seto flyer in a vaccuum but there are other guys I'd rather have added to the mix with limited contract spots and an already crowded roster.

Love to bring in a guy like Tlusty on a 3 year mid money deal, or have the option to pounce if someone like Austin Watson or others come up on waivers.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Both are more or less dime a dozen players. Carrick will be nothing more than a 4th liner and we could maybe get like a 7th for him. Arcobello isn't amazing but he did score 17 goals last year. If he gets steady time in Toronto he could be flipped for something slightly higher than Carrick.

Neither will likely have a future with the Leafs but I would bet on Arcobello over Carrick.

Odds that Carrick tops out with Shaw's offensive numbers are very low too. If Shaw doesn't provide his offense he doesn't play in the league.

Shaw is a pretty physical presence. I just see Carrick as the type of player you absolutely hate to play against, especially in the playoffs. Maybe a Casey Cizikas is another comparable for Carrick.

I'm glad Arco got 17 goals and all last year but I would be super surprised to see him claimed on waivers or bring much more then a 7th either.

I guess it's a matter of preference as you're right, they are a dime a dozen type. I just prefer the guy who was brought along in our system.

Don't mind the idea of a Seto flyer in a vaccuum but there are other guys I'd rather have added to the mix with limited contract spots and an already crowded roster.

Love to bring in a guy like Tlusty on a 3 year mid money deal, or have the option to pounce if someone like Austin Watson or others come up on waivers.

Watson? So much yes. Tlusty...can't see him ever coming back to be honest. Also would be surprised to see our management group give our a 3 year term like that.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Watson? So much yes. Tlusty...can't see him ever coming back to be honest. Also would be surprised to see our management group give our a 3 year term like that.

Good point. I think it would be fine/ forgotten from the general fan perspective but the media couldn't resist dragging those skeletons out of the closet on a slow news day.

As to term, as long as the value is right I think that the second right way to use UFA given the situation of the team.

Short term show-me deals on players to flip
mid term deals to the youngish (for ufa) guys with demonstrated upside and versatility. A guy like Tlusty is a veteran player that is still young enough to be around through a rebuild providing stability without necessarily having to be a stop gap, could play anywhere in the top 9 as needed, and shouldn't be that expensive

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Shaw is a pretty physical presence. I just see Carrick as the type of player you absolutely hate to play against, especially in the playoffs. Maybe a Casey Cizikas is another comparable for Carrick.

I'm glad Arco got 17 goals and all last year but I would be super surprised to see him claimed on waivers or bring much more then a 7th either.

I guess it's a matter of preference as you're right, they are a dime a dozen type. I just prefer the guy who was brought along in our system.

Not just Watson, but guys like Shane Prince, Oscar Lindberg, and Namestnikov may hit waivers. They are all potentially NHL ready and just 23 ish. I would love if we could move a couple guys off the roster (Bozak) so we have room for cheap UFAs and waiver claims.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Not just Watson, but guys like Shane Prince, Oscar Lindberg, and Namestnikov may hit waivers. They are all potentially NHL ready and just 23 ish. I would love if we could move a couple guys off the roster (Bozak) so we have room for cheap UFAs and waiver claims.

Always a fan of young, waiver pick ups. Panik is my pick this year to reach his potential, just plays a very Mike Babcock style and would have excelled on Detroit (as opposed to against Detroit). Watson, Namestnikov or Lindberg would be great additions

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Good point. I think it would be fine/ forgotten from the general fan perspective but the media couldn't resist dragging those skeletons out of the closet on a slow news day.

As to term, as long as the value is right I think that the second right way to use UFA given the situation of the team.

Short term show-me deals on players to flip
mid term deals to the youngish (for ufa) guys with demonstrated upside and versatility. A guy like Tlusty is a veteran player that is still young enough to be around through a rebuild providing stability without necessarily having to be a stop gap, could play anywhere in the top 9 as needed, and shouldn't be that expensive

I'm terrible but I remember when Tlusty joined twitter and James Myrtle tweeted out "Jiri Tlusty has joined twitter, what could go wrong?" and it made me chuckle a bit.

For me, the past is the past, I don't care anymore about what happened. a 2 year deal at like 2M would be fine but think he may want more, or just flat out be unwilling to come back.

Yeah there is some good guys that could potentially be had on waivers. Outside chance of DSP or Kassian going on waivers from Montreal too, and we're going to be near the top of the list in terms of getting first dibs on players.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
Always a fan of young, waiver pick ups. Panik is my pick this year to reach his potential, just plays a very Mike Babcock style and would have excelled on Detroit (as opposed to against Detroit). Watson, Namestnikov or Lindberg would be great additions

There are more potential good waiver available players (like Tinordi) and Toronto should ensure they are in position contract-wise to be able to claim at least one possible waiver pick-up. Jacques Lemaire can probable turn Tinordi into an all-star.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Santorelli signed with the ducks today. Apparently the leafs had offered him a three year deal for more money than he just got on a one year deal.

He refused the leafs deal apparently. Simmons just said that on thats hockey. I hadn't ever heard that santo was offered a long term deal.

Sucks to be him. New agent time even if he represents himself. Pretty stupid on his part. Poor advice is ******. He should dump that agent.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Santorelli signed with the ducks today. Apparently the leafs had offered him a three year deal for more money than he just got on a one year deal.

He refused the leafs deal apparently. Simmons just said that on thats hockey. I hadn't ever heard that santo was offered a long term deal.

Sucks to be him. New agent time even if he represents himself. Pretty stupid on his part. Poor advice is ******. He should dump that agent.

Maybe he wants to win for a change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad