Rumor: Leafs close to signing Devin Setoguchi

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
I guess the Leafs have signed him already? says this on his wiki page:

All I can see on Wiki is that he is still a free agent:
"Devin Charlie Kenichi Setoguchi (born January 1, 1987) is a Canadian professional ice hockey right winger who is currently an unrestricted free agent who last played within the Calgary Flames organization of the National Hockey League (NHL). "

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Perhaps Devo on a 2-way contract so that he can also be used on the Marlies for development purposes as a vet for the younger players.

Many of those UFA will want more $$ and also a 1-way contract as well.

It could be that they also feel he'd pass through waivers unclaimed at the start of the season if they put him there (which is likely).

We've paid Brennan, Holzer, Smith NHL level wages to play most of the time in the AHL.

Setoguchi is also a physical winger with good size which the Marlies both lack in the top6/9 forwards. Brown, Nylander, Leipsic, Froese, Soshnikov, Kapanen are all either undersized or not physical types.

sync95

Feb 21, 2009
Ontario
I don't know why they didn't try to sign Semin before. At least he still has somewhat of a scoring touch. Perhaps he wanted only a one-way from a playoff team?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Same reason we traded Kessel

Whose to say semin didn't choose a better team, in Montreal, than coming to Toronto? Semin in a one year deal could be gold at the deadline, if you got the best out of him. Easily a 2nd rounder. I wouldnt be surprised if Toronto did Pursue semin, but semin chose the better team in Montreal.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Whose to say semin didn't choose a better team, in Montreal, than coming to Toronto? Semin in a one year deal could be gold at the deadline, if you got the best out of him. Easily a 2nd rounder. I wouldnt be surprised if Toronto did Pursue semin, but semin chose the better team in Montreal.

Could definitely be it. If there's one thing that'll up your stock around the League, it's winning.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I'm All for giving a guy a break. Maybe if he can prove something in the ECHL then work his way up. Even when he was scoring 20-30 goals, his rep was a floater. With the Leafs embracing advanced stats, I scratch my head at why they would want him.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
These feel good stories rarely ever work out. Most recent example being Paul Ranger.

His fitness has been nearly as bad as Kessel's throughout his career. Hopefully he's putting a lot of gym time in right now, because I would hate to ship one bad example out, only to bring in another bad one.

I agree. He had the skills, and as the season wore in with the leafs, he actually was regaining his old form. But his mentality/psyche is a huge question mark.

Doesn't want to play in the NHL anymore.
Wants to play hockey again, but close to home, in the AHL.
Wants to be in the NHL again.
Plays on an NHL team close to home.
Signs in Europe.
Was a healthy scratch for most of this past season.

W
T
F
?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I'm All for giving a guy a break. Maybe if he can prove something in the ECHL then work his way up. Even when he was scoring 20-30 goals, his rep was a floater. With the Leafs embracing advanced stats, I scratch my head at why they would want him.

Why would he go to the ECHL and not the AHL?

He's only 28, is physically healthy and has had good success in the past which is a lot more than can be said for others we could get to fill his role. At least there's upside with Setoguchi.

Fact is we are a small team that isn't physical at both the NHL or AHL level.

Meanwhile Setoguchi is a good size at 6ft 200 lbs and has averaged a little under 2 hits per game throughout his career which is a very good amount of hits. In his San Jose days he also had young power forward label.

Even if it's a one-way and he gets sent to the AHL that means he's bringing some needed size and physicality to that group.

If he plays well and makes the Leafs that means he's got some game left and he just might be this off-seasons version of Winnik or Raymond.

There isn't a downside to this move.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I hope they bring in a few UFA's on try-outs in all honesty. I know they are pressed up against the contract limit so moves would need to be made - but there are some interesting names out there still. If they can flip these guys at years end why not?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Maybe he just needed the cash?

I agree. He had the skills, and as the season wore in with the leafs, he actually was regaining his old form. But his mentality/psyche is a huge question mark.

Doesn't want to play in the NHL anymore.
Wants to play hockey again, but close to home, in the AHL.
Wants to be in the NHL again.
Plays on an NHL team close to home.
Signs in Europe.
Was a healthy scratch for most of this past season.

W
T
F
?

He left, he tried to come back and in the end realized the NHL is no easy feat, especially now.. 30 teams and counting.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He left, he tried to come back and in the end realized the NHL is no easy feat, especially now.. 30 teams and counting.

I thought he would've been a great 6th defender if given the chance to shake the rust off... but the team was way too shaky as a whole, and Carlyle was playing musical chairs with his defensemen and didn't allow a chance for anyone to gain confidence or become comfortable.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Honestly, I am thinking that this has to be just a camp invite. I like Setoguchi, and think he probably still has enough skill to produce at the NHL level. But there is no reason to guarantee him anything.

It seems like there is always a few 'roll of the dice' type players at our training camp. Raymond, Talinder, Kontiola, Booth (?), Mottau. Why not invite a long shot?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not sure about the logic behind this move.

He should be a camp invite like a Mason Raymond once was in the past and then try and earn a contract through his preseason and camp performance.

If a youngster like Nylander has a strong camp and outplays a guy like Setoguchi then you have more roster flexibility.

Word on the street is that he's getting the Raymond treatment with the Leafs and the contract will end up being a PTO to start with.

Those were my feelings exactly, and oddly I even used the Mason Raymond example. ;)

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
If Setoguchi comes in on a PTO and beats out one of the prospects for a spot, it tells you a couple things.

1. The prospects that we expected to take a spot aren't ready. And that's okay. No sense in rushing a player.

2. The depth of the organization doesn't change, it gets better.

If he can truly win a spot, let him prove it. But there's no guarantee that he can do it. So it doesn't hurt to let him try.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs could invite various UFA players to camp on PTO (pro tryout contracts) that don't count among the 50 contracts and let them try and earn a contract with a good camp not just Setoguchi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad