Rumor: Leafs close to signing Devin Setoguchi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Interesting.

No issue in the slightest with giving him a one year deal. The Leafs should be looking to sign every reclamation project they can for short deals - if hey work out they can be flipped for picks. It's essentially buying draft picks for cash.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Would rather Santorelli too but at what cap cost?

Setoguchi on a tryout sounds fine to me

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
It's August. Santorelli could probably be had for fairly cheap at this point Id imagine, though it would probably take a 2 year deal and I doubt he would want to get sold at the deadline again.

As for Setoguchi? Sure, why not. He could be another trade deadline piece.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
If he can get 2 years anywhere.. with NTC.

It could happen again(TD trade to a playoff team) but he is assured 2 years of contract$. We like Santos but are you so sure there are GM's lining up to pay him 2 years? Not in this NHL.

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
These feel good stories rarely ever work out. Most recent example being Paul Ranger.

His fitness has been nearly as bad as Kessel's throughout his career. Hopefully he's putting a lot of gym time in right now, because I would hate to ship one bad example out, only to bring in another bad one.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
It's August. Santorelli could probably be had for fairly cheap at this point Id imagine, though it would probably take a 2 year deal and I doubt he would want to get sold at the deadline again.

If he could be had for cheap I'd imagine he would be signed already.

ATBLeafsTyler

Dec 15, 2014
Newmarket, Ontario
These feel good stories rarely ever work out. Most recent example being Paul Ranger.

His fitness has been nearly as bad as Kessel's throughout his career. Hopefully he's putting a lot of gym time in right now, because I would hate to ship one bad example out, only to bring in another bad one.

Give him a tryout, if he does good, sign him to a one year deal. Could be another deadline trade for a pick if he works out.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Give him a tryout, if he does good, sign him to a one year deal. Could be another deadline trade for a pick if he works out.

Well our team does seem to lack offensive ability, something that a rejuvenated Setoguchi would fill better than a or Panik/Arcobello could. At least with Parenteau and possibly Setoguchi... Babcock has some offensive skill to work with. With Spaling, Matthias, Komarov and Winnick (returning)... the Leafs have some good hard workers in the mix, who also have some size.

JVR Kadri Setoguchi
Lupul Bozak Parenteau
Komarov Matthias Holland
Winnik Spaling Panik

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Well our team does seem to lack offensive ability, something that a rejuvenated Setoguchi would fill better than a or Panik/Arcobello could. At least with Parenteau and possibly Setoguchi... Babcock has some offensive skill to work with. With Spaling, Matthias, Komarov and Winnick (returning)... the Leafs have some good hard workers in the mix, who also have some size.

JVR Kadri Setoguchi
Lupul Bozak Parenteau
Komarov Matthias Holland
Winnik Spaling Panik

He can't be worse than he was with Calgary last season because there is no worse for an actual NHL player

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
He can't be worse than he was with Calgary last season because there is no worse for an actual NHL player

He was pretty bad the year before for the Jets. The only reason he got any playing time whatsoever was because of the lack of depth the team had, plus Noel most likely felt the pressure to play a player the GM gave a 2nd rounder up for.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Leafs Rise To #2 On ESPN’s Top Prospect List, Setoguchi Toronto Bound?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike...ospect-List-Setoguchi-Toronto-Bound/120/70403

The 28-year-old winger had six straight seasons of scoring in double figures, but struggled with Calgary after signing a one-year, $750,000 deal last summer. Setoguchi went scoreless in 12 games for the Flames before being placed on waivers in late November and demoted to the Adirondack Flames of the American Hockey League.

It is unknown whether the former 30-goal scorer is being invited to training camp next month with a chance to earn a contract, or will get an AHL or NHL contract.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

I would agree that its bargain basement time again and unsigned players can be signed to inexpensive contracts. The few roster spots that remain I suspect will get filled this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad