Post-Game Talk: Leafs "clinch" 29th Overall. (I'd say the Line was Drawn).

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
So could we even give him away at this point? He'd end up on the Marlies. How would he like those apples?

no one's taking him unless we take back an equal or worse cap dump or we add significant assets like Was did with Laich

he probably also has a clause that prevents him form being sent down

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
it not just about a few game and it isn't about making a mistake

Babs will not tolerate a lack of effort nor should he and that goes for every player on the team regardless of there age . Babs/Mgmt couldn;t give a damn how PAP-Boyes-Micheluk or any of the other older players perform since they're just placeholders while we develop/acquire upgrades .

The younger players however are the ones who needed to show they're ready to give a consistent effort night in and night out if they wanted to make an impression and potentially earn a spot for next year . Some have and some haven't and that's what i got out of his statement .

The team isn't going to write off Kappy or any of the younger kids at this time but they will only have so many opportunities to make the jump or they'll be passed by younger prospects coming up . Teams have prospects graduating every year and with the amount of picks we have prospects will be in a dog fight just to get the chances some of the kids got this year .

Detroit didn't have this long a success streak just based on talent , once the team was built the upcoming kids were made to realize just floating and putting up a few points wasn't going to earn you a spot . They had to compete at both ends and that's why the Wings are still making the playoffs without the same level of talent they once had .

Kapanen is a junior age player but yes if he won't work hard he won't be long for Babcock. Piccinich is older than Kapanen for perspective.

Odds are most of the prospects will fall away even the ones that are getting all the praise today.

Some guys may already have gone beyond their best before date, and had last chance auditions?
Percy from 2011
Carrick from 2010

I wouldn't doubt even guys like Corrado and Marincin, regardless of ice time this year might be placeholders. I'd take Valiev over Corrado today, but one can be moved freely the other cannot.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So could we even give him away at this point? He'd end up on the Marlies. How would he like those apples?

What does being injured have to do with liking apples?

He's 32, they could buy him out, not sure another team would take him even with 50% retention.

He isn't giving away $9 million, a buyout would net him $6 over 4 years.

I'd prefer they not carry his buy-out for 4 years on the cap, just bite the bullet and keeping him Robidas'd.

maplejays62

Dec 19, 2008
Leafs 30th Overall

The combination of the Leafs loss last night and Edmonton's win pretty much is a done deal that we will finish last. The Leafs would have to take a minimum of 3 out of the 4 points remaining and Edmonton has to lose in order for the Leafs to finish 29th. If they both finish tied in points the tie breaker goes to Edmonton meaning they finish higher. This means the Leafs can draft no lower than 4th overall. Who would you draft at either 1,2,3,4th overall. Would you trade the pick and for what return?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
no one's taking him unless we take back an equal or worse cap dump or we add significant assets like Was did with Laich

he probably also has a clause that prevents him form being sent down

Has a modifed NTC only (can choose 14 teams). Nothing preventing him from being sent down.

What does being injured have to do with liking apples?

He's 32, they could buy him out, not sure another team would take him even with 50% retention.

He isn't giving away $9 million, a buyout would net him $6 over 4 years.

I'd prefer they not carry his buy-out for 4 years on the cap, just bite the bullet and keeping him Robidas'd.

No need to Robidas'd him for two straight seasons. As if the NHLPA wouldn't raise hell over it.

Play him on the 3rd or 4th line until he injures himself again. Let nature run its course.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Has a modifed NTC only (can choose 14 teams). Nothing preventing him from being sent down.

No need to Robidas'd him for two straight seasons. As if the NHLPA wouldn't raise hell over it.

Play him on the 3rd or 4th line until he injures himself again. Let nature run its course.

He could do really well on the 3rd. line as a veteran presence, unfortunately his body is letting him down so likely a part time player.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Who would you draft at either 1,2,3,4th overall. Would you trade the pick and for what return?

1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Puljijarvi
4. Chychrun? Maybe Tkachuk

I would entertain offers on 3rd and 4th overall picks. Would be looking for Brodin, Trouba, Dumba, Barrie (young top end RD) or Vasilevskiy, Samsonov, Murray (young #1G)

May add to our pick to get some of these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad