Confirmed with Link: Leafs claim Corrado off waivers. Panik sent down (clears waivers).

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
(sigh), can we stop with the free-wallet stuff.

he was a good waiver wire pick up.

i figure if we're fully in the Shanagement era , we can leave the Burkeisms at the door.

Thank you Daisy. I'm sick of that saying too because there's a ton wallets laying around every year at this time.

I chuckle a little at the enthusiasm these events cause because exactly a year ago peeps were doing back-flips over getting Panik - now he's a bum and Corrado's the gleaming future.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Thank you Daisy. I'm sick of that saying too because there's a ton wallets laying around every year at this time.

I chuckle a little at the enthusiasm these events cause because exactly a year ago peeps were doing back-flips over getting Panik - now he's a bum and Corrado's the gleaming future.

Just because a wallet is lying around doesn't mean there will be money in it. You have to pick it up to see if there's any money there.

I guess the Leafs picked up the Panik wallet only to realize it was empty.

I still think there's a little potential there with Panik, but the Leafs management think this is the way to go.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Nice move, I like the potential. Panik showed something last year, hope he passes through though, would be nice to keep him around. He's only 24.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Just because a wallet is lying around doesn't mean there will be money in it. You have to pick it up to see if there's any money there.

I guess the Leafs picked up the Panik wallet only to realize it was empty.

I still think there's a little potential there with Panik, but the Leafs management think this is the way to go.

Just because they waive him / send him to the minors doesn't mean they think he's useless.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Vancouver burned away his waiver eligablity by playing him in the playoffs two years ago. annd then didn't make the team this season. woila

Apparently when they brought him up in the playoffs a couple years ago burned a year of his contract. The guys on Leafs lunch were saying that why guys like Nylander and Draissatl were sent down. What's the good in having them around now when their teams won't be competing for a couple of years.

Talk about asset mismanagement!! Could've been developing in the minors. Hopefully we can take full advantage.

If Panik passes waivers this is a great deal. I hate to see Panik cast aside, you never know what these young guys can turn into.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Not a fan of Polak in Babcock's system, which is a shame because we wont get value for him unless he starts playing better positional defence.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Talk about asset mismanagement!! Could've been developing in the minors. Hopefully we can take full advantage.

If Panik passes waivers this is a great deal. I hate to see Panik cast aside, you never know what these young guys can turn into.

To top it off, it was the 2012-13 season that they burned that year. Counting the playoffs he had only played 7 games, but it was the shortened season so it was pro-rated to 11.95 games. If it wasn't for that he would be waiver exempt.

I hope Panik does not get claimed, I am highly optimistic with him. It is a bit of a gamble.

CalgaryLeaf*

who cares what term people use to describe picking someone up for free?

RE: free wallet

It's just a goofy term..never liked it.

Another term I despise is "face puncher"...You only hear that weirdo term in this forum...Kinda creepy and wimpy at the same time.

dman34

May 6, 2011
Corrado is going to be a serviceable roster dman for years to come. If Hutton didn't have an outstanding camp for the canucks, he'd be the defensemen management and fans would be excited about this year. Leafs fans will be happy with this pickup, and he's also a great interview haha.

Excited about Corrado if Hutton didn't come along? Doubt it...

He was outplayed by the likes of Biega, Fedun and Pedan this pre-season. His game has really regressed the past couple of years.

Corrado is a nice kid but let's get real here. He was a 5th round pick in 2011 and has played 28 NHL games and has 2 pts. He's a serviceable AHL guy or fringe NHLer at best.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.

He was outplayed by the likes of Biega, Fedun and Pedan this pre-season. His game has really regressed the past couple of years.

Corrado is a nice kid but let's get real here. He was a 5th round pick in 2011 and has played 28 NHL games and has 2 pts. He's a serviceable AHL guy or fringe NHLer at best.

Canucks fan swinging by to say this. He looked great 2 years ago on a call up and has regressed ever since. I really do hope he comes around but it seems he's hit a plateau. Biega, Hutton, and Fedun all surpassed him in one year. But he's a local kid for you guys and a hell of a nice person. I wish him all the best.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Generally speaking, 2015 is when the 2011 prospects should be making their NHL stamp as regulars.

2011-12 Junior
2012-13 AHL
2013-14 AHL; couple NHL games
2014-15 Split between NHL/AHL
2015-16 Majority NHL

We will see with this kid.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
Generally speaking, 2015 is when the 2011 prospects should be making their NHL stamp as regulars.

2011-12 Junior
2012-13 AHL
2015-16 Majority NHL

We will see with this kid.

The majority of players from the 2011 draft wouldnt have been eligible to play in the AHL during the 12-13 season.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
The majority of players from the 2011 draft wouldnt have been eligible to play in the AHL during the 12-13 season.

2011-12 Junior
2012-13 AHL or Junior
2015-16 Majority NHL

Leafsman

May 22, 2008

Wow!! Amazing how you can tell all that based on 28 games from a 22 year old kid.

Where he was picked in 2011 is barely relevant anymore. They thought he was good enough to call up for Playoffs so there is something there.

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
2011-12 Junior
2012-13 AHL or Junior
2015-16 Majority NHL

Ask Detroit or Mike Babcock how realistic this is?

A 22 year old does not have to be playing in the NHL to prove he's not a bust. This is only in Toronto where people think this!

It is also common knowledge that d-men take longer to develop than forwards and goalies even still. So are you basing that on Forwards which means he should still be a year or two away at least.

There is no rule or rule of thumb. When a player is ready they're ready. So tired of this constant ******** about players being 22/23 year old all-stars or they're garbage. If it takes the occasional player until they're 26/27 - who gives a **** if when they come up they perform well.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Ask Detroit or Mike Babcock how realistic this is?

A 22 year old does not have to be playing in the NHL to prove he's not a bust. This is only in Toronto where people think this!

It is also common knowledge that d-men take longer to develop than forwards and goalies even still. So are you basing that on Forwards which means he should still be a year or two away at least.

There is no rule or rule of thumb. When a player is ready they're ready. So tired of this constant ******** about players being 22/23 year old all-stars or they're garbage. If it takes the occasional player until they're 26/27 - who gives a **** if when they come up they perform well.

good points here.

also, just because the leafs waived panik doesn't mean they've given up, it just means they see corrado as better. panik definitely still has a good future in this org if he clears waivers..

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He's our version of Finn.... his play was regressing, or not meeting expectations. When you have plenty of prospects in an organization, and a depth guy isn't progressing... it's time to cut them loose.

Maybe Finn will become rejuvenated in the Islanders organization, maybe Corrado will here... but don't hype this to be anything more than it is..... A sinking player, given one more opportunity. Everybody hopes he does well...

As far as Panik and a future here... I mean look at this squad.. he couldn't make this squad at age 24....as dismal as our lineup is, with all kinds of talented prospect coming through the ranks... It would be shocking to see Panik have any meaningful part in this organization in two years, without a complete turn around in play.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

He's also only 22. Wouldn't be the first time a young player took a little while to make the jump.

Corrado is what he is. He's a guy who had some hype coming into the NHL, he impressed and then he struggled. But he has the potential still, and he's got the size, skating ability and puck moving skills you want in a guy. If he doesn't turn out, we don't really lose anything. If he does, well then great.

No reason to be overly pessimistic, nor overly optimistic.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Kind of surprised he cleared to be honest as I saw value with his age, frame and salary. But this should be a good winger for the young Marlies squad.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kind of surprised he cleared to be honest as I saw value with his age, frame and salary. But this should be a good winger for the young Marlies squad.

This puts the Marlies in the scary territory when it was all ready very strong.

Barring a monumental collapse of a lot of different players and/or a massive amount of injuries, the Marlies should be a contender for the Calder cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad