Confirmed with Link: Leafs claim Corrado off waivers. Panik sent down (clears waivers).

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
(sigh), can we stop with the free-wallet stuff.

he was a good waiver wire pick up.

i figure if we're fully in the Shanagement era , we can leave the Burkeisms at the door.

I like Corrado, but he needs more Truculence, Beligerence, Pugnacity, and Testosterone. We need this team to be big blue. I don't believe in 5 year plans - let's speed up this thing. This team needs to be something more than an 18 wheeler driving off a cliff.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

i figure if we're fully in the Shanagement era , we can leave the Burkeisms at the door.

who cares what term people use to describe picking someone up for free?

pullyoursocksup

Jun 30, 2009
Corrado is going to be a serviceable roster dman for years to come. If Hutton didn't have an outstanding camp for the canucks, he'd be the defensemen management and fans would be excited about this year. Leafs fans will be happy with this pickup, and he's also a great interview haha.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I never understand this line of thinking. It's the same line of thinking, why would we trade for that guy, just draft our own guys, etc, etc.

Who cares if we drafted and developed a player. You want the best players for your team. I don't give a **** who drafted them, or who developed him.

Yes looking back on it if Panik gets claimed we won't look back and say look at all that time we wasted, but once a player is here he's our asset regardless of who drafted or developed him.

Read someone say why trade for Drasaitl in another thread yesterday, instead we should draft our own core guys. Well Drasaitl might be better than the guys we could draft, or the guys we'd trade, etc, etc. If it makes your team better you do it regardless of who drafted who, it's not about the work you put in it's about the assets you have and trying to improve your assets/get better assets.

Honestly, if you can't make the current Leafs roster, it says a lot about how good you are(excluding prospects and rookies).

Pretty sure they tried to trade Panik for a low draft picks or an okay prospects. And safe to say there were no takers.
Next best thing is to have him develop more in the AHL and see how he plays with more play time, but he must go through waivers.

pullyoursocksup

Jun 30, 2009
D | 6'0", 190 lbs. |
Birth Date:March 26, 1993 (22 years old)
Place of Birth:Toronto, Ont.
Shoots:R Experience:3 years
Drafted: Drafted by Vancouver in 2011 (5/150).

SCOUTING REPORT
Assets:
Has excellent puck-moving and offensive skills. Is capable of quarterbacking the power play at lower levels. Also displays a fairly projectable frame.

Flaws: Needs to continue to work on his defensive-zone coverage, as well as his play in general without the puck, in order to maximize his NHL upside.
Career Potential: Solid defenseman with a little upside.

He won't be a pp quarterback, so leafs fans shouldn't expect that kind of player. He's a stable defensive defenseman who has a good chance of slowly develop into a consistent NHL defenseman.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Love the addition , he's been a player on my radar the past couple of season. Vancouver fans seemed to speak well of him too.

I'm panicking Panik gets claimed though , would like to keep him around longer to see what happens.

pullyoursocksup

Jun 30, 2009
Waste. Corrado is decent, but other than having a RH shot, not better than what we have. Definitely not better than Panik.

Looks like asset management is going out the window here, since we could have easily sent Harrington down.

Somebody is going to claim Panik and make us look like idiots.

I don't think there's much doubt that Corrado would have been picked up by someone. If I were a leafs fan I'd be happy my team took the plunge on him and didn't let him go somewhere else.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Honestly, if you can't make the current Leafs roster, it says a lot about how good you are(excluding prospects and rookies).

Pretty sure they tried to trade Panik for a low draft picks or an okay prospects. And safe to say there were no takers.
Next best thing is to have him develop more in the AHL and see how he plays with more play time, but he must go through waivers.

ok. Not sure how this has anything to do with what I said though. My comment was about people prefering players we draft over players acquired by other means. When in reality the only thing that should matter is ability to play hockey.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
He spent a lot of time sitting in the press box as the only decent injury call up option on D in the Canucks system. Mike Gillis and Alain Vigneault foolishly burned a year of waiver exemption by playing in a playoff game with a healthy Keith Ballard available. He was a victim of Vancouver's shallow pool on D and just didn't play enough. He's currently a little behind where he was as a 19 year old coming oiut of the OHL. I hope he turns it around; he was really lousy in the exhibition games he got into this year.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008

Yes!! For the love of God!! Please.

Free-wallet, my ass!!

Edit: Love the tern "Shanagement" - whoever coined that term is a genius!

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Am I missing something??

He's only 22??? Why is he on waivers?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't think there's much doubt that Corrado would have been picked up by someone. If I were a leafs fan I'd be happy my team took the plunge on him and didn't let him go somewhere else.

Well now Panik will be claimed by someone.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Because Tampa signed him to a 1-way contract, and we picked him up when they tried to send him to the AHL

what?

1. we're talking about Corrado not Panik

2. 1/2-way contracts have nothing to do with the waiver exemption rules. Stop going by NHL16 rules.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Vancouver burned away his waiver eligablity by playing him in the playoffs two years ago. annd then didn't make the team this season. woila

HOTD

Jan 11, 2013
Sorry. Meant why couldn't he just be sent down. Why did they waive him?

Apparently when they brought him up in the playoffs a couple years ago burned a year of his contract. The guys on Leafs lunch were saying that why guys like Nylander and Draissatl were sent down. What's the good in having them around now when their teams won't be competing for a couple of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad