Prospect Info: Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #3

Prospect Ranking #3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
on a babcock coached team grundstrom is a top 6 maybe even ...dare I say... Zach babcock caliber player
That'd be perfect if he was a more offensively inclined Hyman. Hyman getting 38 EV points is great but if Grundstrom can get more that's our #1 LW solved.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
not high on sandin at the moment, just think he's not big enough. Hopefully he can have a great season. I went with Grundstrom, the kid can play and should make the team next year.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Grundstrom can dominate with a center feeding him the puck. The guy has sick hands around the net. Miles better than Hyman.
I hope so. Is Grundstrom's ceiling a 60p grinder if he plays with Matthews? Cause that would be massive.

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
Sandin never stepped on the ice for the leafs organization, #3 prospect, talk about shinny new thing. Not saying he couldn't be, but lets wait and see.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
To me it's really close between Grundy and Sandin. I think both have the potential to be real impact players, Grundstrom a borderline top winger ala Landeskog and Sandin a potential #2, maybe even #1 if everything breaks right (skating and strength improve to the point of becoming pluses).

While Sandin might have the higher potential, Grundstrom is a lot closer to being a regular NHLer, which carries some weight in my eyes.

At the end of the day, happy to have both in the system, and hope both reach their potential.

#5 is where things become interesting for me, as we have a LOT of lotto tickets who are pretty far from their potential but still on track, as well as a few lower ceiling guys who are close to being NHL ready. For example, I still like Korshkov, but who knows what's going to happen with him?

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Yes, if you want to listen to Craig Button and a few scouting services.

I agree with the majority of the scouting reports that question his skating ability. I doubt he ever becomes more than a bottom pairing defenseman, let alone top 3. Isn't outstanding in any particular area, and has weak skating for a 5'11 Dman, and a not so great shot to say the least. Really don't see the upside here.

I hope to be proven wrong, but I doubt I will be.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I agree with the majority of the scouting reports that question his skating ability. I doubt he ever becomes more than a bottom pairing defenseman, let alone top 3. Isn't outstanding in any particular area, and has weak skating for a 5'11 Dman, and a not so great shot to say the least. Really don't see the upside here.

It’s fun to see how differently people view prospects/players.

I don’t think he is a bad skater by any means, but he does lack explosion. He is a very smart player, and distributes the puck tape to tape with ease on outlets. Is very good defensively at the OHL level and once he adds more mass and gets stronger there’s no reason to believe he can’t defend well in the NHL eventually with development.

Time will tell.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

His skating isn't a problem. The guy has terrific agility and is a good backwards skater. Very similar to Tomas Kaberle in his skating style. Elusive and agile with great puck handling but is only lacking in straight line speed.

Reactions: stickty111

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Sandin never stepped on the ice for the leafs organization, #3 prospect, talk about shinny new thing. Not saying he couldn't be, but lets wait and see.

Prior to Matthews stepping on the ice, where do you think he would have fit within the organizational ranks?

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
His skating isn't a problem. The guy has terrific agility and is a good backwards skater. Very similar to Tomas Kaberle in his skating style. Elusive and agile with great puck handling but is only lacking in straight line speed.

I disagree from what I've seen his speed is definitely a concern considering he's only 5'11. Kaberle was a MUCH more fluid skater than Sandin. We'll see what happens, I just don't see a ton of upside with him. I think he's appropriately going to be ranked our fourth best prospect.

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
Yes but his performance as a rookie in the OHL was pretty special both offensively and defensively. He's at least 2 years away but projects to be a mobile top 3 guy.

Brown was almost 2 ppg in the OHL, won the Ted Tilson Trophy awarded to the OHL’s outstanding player of the year also the Eddie Powers Memorial Trophy as the league’s Top Scorer setting a franchise record with 128 points in 68 games. I think maybe you're ahead of yourself a bit, I hope I'm wrong but too early to say he's number 3 as a prospect, let him put a Marlies jersey on and let's see what he can do in a pro league.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Brown was almost 2 ppg in the OHL, won the Ted Tilson Trophy awarded to the OHL’s outstanding player of the year also the Eddie Powers Memorial Trophy as the league’s Top Scorer setting a franchise record with 128 points in 68 games. I think maybe you're ahead of yourself a bit, I hope I'm wrong but too early to say he's number 3 as a prospect, let him put a Marlies jersey on and let's see what he can do in a pro league.

Brown did that as an overage player. Sandin was a rookie playing defense with little PP time.

Apples and oranges comparison.

Amongst Sandin's statistical cohorts in the OHL the vast majority went on to successful NHL careers.

Reactions: emilepep

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
Really having a hard time quoting post.

you said,,, Prior to Matthews stepping on the ice, where do you think he would have fit within the organizational ranks?

My answer, Number 1 overall pick, never spent a day in the AHL, not 26th overall pick, kinda apples oranges don't you think? Also AM played with men in Switzerland. Actually he didn't step on the ice in the NHL he roared with 4 goals.

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
Brown did that as an overage player. Sandin was a rookie playing defense with little PP time.

Amongst Sandin's statistical cohorts in the OHL the vast majority went on to successful NHL careers.

I'm not saying he could be a great player, and your correct his stats are great, I hope he turns out to be a great player, but let's wait until until he get's to play some pro level hockey. Probably some prospect on that list that should be ranked higher then Sandin, just based on pro experience, this poll is not based on position but on quality of player, got to see him play pro before you can judge that, my 2 cents. Remember Strome was picked ahead of Marner, things are not always what they seem.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Brown was a d+2. Not an overager. An overager when talking about the CHL is the one of 3 players who are in their 20 year old season. Brown did that in his 19 year old season.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

So what? We can still evaluate him as a prospect.

Dzeirkals has played games for the Marlies. Does that make him a better prospect than Sandin?

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Brown was a d+2. Not an overager. An overager when talking about the CHL is the one of 3 players who are in their 20 year old season. Brown did that in his 19 year old season.

Longest running myth around here that drives me nuts, is that Brown was an over-ager who played with McDavid. Neither are true.

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
So what? We can still evaluate him as a prospect.

Dzeirkals has played games for the Marlies. Does that make him a better prospect than Sandin?
Agreed. I hate the term ‘shiny new toy’ and how it’s often used around these boards. Maybe you know, a recently drafted prospect might just flat out be a better prospect than one in the organization longer by ones evaluation.

Eveyryone has different opinions on players/prospects, it’s pretty short sighted to assume people choose a certain player over another because their vision is clouded by how recently they were added to the organization.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Why do people feel the need to attack Sandin in order to justify voting for Grunstrom? Fine, you chose the guy who's had a lot more experience as a 20 year old over our 18 year old #1st round pick who arguably has a higher ceiling. You don't need to trash that #1 pick in order to justify your choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00