Prospect Ranking #3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Hello all, I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards.

Rankings:

1. Timothy Liljegren -- 78.7%
2. Andreas Johnsson -- 86.2%

Rasmus Sandin
Dmytro Timashov
Sean Durzi
Miro Aaltonen
Justin Holl
Jeremy Bracco
Yegor Korshkov
Carl Grundstrom
Eemeli Rasanen
Joseph Woll
Adam Brooks
Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
Calle Rosen
Pierre Engvall
Trevor Moore

Frederik Gauthier
Dakota Joshua
Martins Dzierkals
Jesper Lindgren
Kasimir Kaskisuo
JD Greenway
Nikolai Chebykin
Andrew Nielsen
Ian Scott
Vladislav Kara
Fedor Gordeev
Ryan McGregor
Ryan O'Connell
Riley Stotts
Mac Hollowell
Filip Kral
Pontus Holmberg
Zach Bouthillier
Semyon Kizimov
Igor Ozhiganov
Mason Marchment

Suggest who I should add next. :D

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Voted Grundstrom just based off his development thus far. Sandin and him aren't far apart in draft spot alone so being a 1st vs 2nd does nothing for me in this spot. Grundstrom has also outproduced expectations so far.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I like Grundstrom, but I am not sure his upside is quite as high as Sandin's. he definitely has a higher chance of making the NHL. but I think Sandin has a higher chance of being an impact player

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Grundstrom. If you don't mind small sample sizes, he had 17 pts in 22 AHL games at 20/21 years old, which is quite a bit better than Johnsson was at 22 years old.

It is a small sample, and Johnsson is so ready, so it makes sense for him to be ahead, but Grundstrom's curve by age is sharper.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I went Sandin because I think his potential brings him into a more valued role, but really you could swap between him and Grundstrom. They are close if not similarly valued to me.

Reactions: htpwn

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Sandin for me. Edged Grundstrom by having top 3 D potential. They're interchangeable really. Grundstrom is a great prospect.

Snip Genos

GO LEAFS GO
Jun 14, 2007
Ontario
Grundstrom, I think he’s a sure bet to be a top 9 forward under Babcock. He’s already as good as Connor Brown IMO and has a bit of Komarov in him.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Sandin has some potential but with 51 OHL games under his belt vs what Grundstrom has done in the AHL...its not even close right now who is the higher prospect. Grundstrom has cemented himself as a sure thing. Last year, Grundstrom seamlessly adjusted to the AHL game and smaller ice surface. This year Grundstrom comes over end of the year basically and jump into AHL playoff hockey on the 1st line on the Calder Cup champs team and borderline dominates certain aspects of the game. Grundstrom is the #2 prospect in the system right now, Johnnson is not a prospect anymore.

Reactions: Cams

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I said Sandin too but objectively it is probably Grundstrom due to him being further along in his development and more of a sure thing.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Yeah, I gotta go with Grundstrom here. His transition to the AHL, and the fact that he'll almost surely earn a place on the opening night roster cements it.

#4 should be interesting.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Holl shouldnt be on this list. Hes not a prospect. Hes a certified career AHLer. Its not like were including Rich Clune.

Its probably arguable that Gauthier shouldnt be on here either.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If we're rating prospects based on their potential ceiling as opposed to where they are in their current stage of development, I think Sandin edges out Grundstrom.

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Holl shouldnt be on this list. Hes not a prospect. Hes a certified career AHLer. Its not like were including Rich Clune.

Its probably arguable that Gauthier shouldnt be on here either.

Andreas Johnsson, 202nd pick in the 2013 draft. So why cant the goat be there if Johnsson is? same draft

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Andreas Johnsson, 202nd pick in the 2013 draft. So why cant the goat be there if Johnsson is? same draft

I did say its arguable. Point for exlcuding Freddy - played his first full season in the AHL a year ahead of Johnsson. Johnsson's career trajectory also appears to still be rising, while its quite possible Freddy's does not.

At what point do we consider guys who never pan out as steady NHL players no longer prospects? The end of their ELCs? The Goat has been under contract for 5 years, while Johnsson for only 3.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Man, I have AJ, Sandin, and Grundstrom so close.

I picked Sandin, but you could probably convince me any of the three are our 2-3-4.

Filip Kral needs to be added. I know he was a late rounder, but the guy should have been picked in the 2nd.

Last edited:

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
This is interesting as it’s higher upside vs. a little less upside, but more of a sure thing. Doesn’t surprise me it’s pretty much 50/50 at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad