GDT: Leafs@Blues 8PM SNO

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This is not a good stat when you are passing to a guy who is arguably one of the best finishers in the game
Kappy's great when he's pursuing pucks, pressuring defenders, beating out icings, being a pest on the forecheck etc... and he's got some decent shooting ability, but he's got very little aptitude for playmaking. Nylander is a far better fit for Matthews.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
This irks me a bit. Matthews were talking about the players on the ice, saying they got outworked and outsmarted. They were outsmarted because we kept forcing the same kind of plays that didn't work. Matthews himself was one of them, constantly trying to walk in for a shot that they took away instead of adapting to how the game looked.

People are acting like any hint of criticism towards decision-making has to be on the coaches, but that's pretty absurd. The players aren't just mindless drones who carry out the coaching staffs orders. There's tactical directives, and there's on-ice decisions. Matthews was clearly referring to the latter.
Hi Nith,

I don’t want to debate but I will say I disagree and here is why. The rumours about Babcock having to go see Matthews and their heated discussion durig game 7 had given me skepticism as to their relationship. I hope you’re right because it would be better for the club if they were cooperating.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Kappy's great when he's pursuing pucks, pressuring defenders, beating out icings, being a pest on the forecheck etc... and he's got some decent shooting ability, but he's got very little aptitude for playmaking. Nylander is a far better fit for Matthews.
I think Kapanen is still a great fit, as long as the other linemate isn't Marleau. Kapanen is like an elite version of Hyman/Brown

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I think Kapanen is still a great fit, as long as the other linemate isn't Marleau. Kapanen is like an elite version of Hyman/Brown

I personally wanna see what Kap/Matthews/Nylander would look like. However I know Babs is obsessive with his handedness so who knows if he'll play Kap on the left even if he has experience there previously. I think that line would be lethal.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

I think you're underselling Hyman with that comparison. Kapanen is faster and has a better shot, not sure where else he comes that much ahead. Brown I have no argument with the comparison.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Blues are playing some solid hockey right now. Good thing about Toronto is we always seem to show up against the good teams, and then we happen to play down to the other garbage teams we face.

Time to end their 10 game winning streak.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I would love to see Mitch with another shooting option on the LW.

Kapanen - Tavares - Marner

You could also easily line match these guys up against any teams top line.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I would love to see Mitch with another shooting option on the LW.

Kapanen - Tavares - Marner

You could also easily line match these guys up against any teams top line.

As would I but I think Johnsson would work better than Kap , more dig in the corner and more playmaking ability with plenty of speed and finish in him .

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Well we've got what, just over 20 games left? It's now time to stop the regular season shenanigans and get ready for the playoffs. That means refocusing how we have played, trying to get better and to a higher level. Trying to get back to how we were to start the year taking care of the puck. That goes for Babs too. Figure out the system and figure out the effort issue.

I'm nervous if this is the group that goes into the playoffs I don't think they win anything. Especially if we play Boston again this core will just lay over and give up.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Not expecting a win tonight against the red hot Blues. We never play them well too. On top they have an unknown goalie with no scouting report.

Expecting a solid 60 minute effort though with an emphasis on team defense. Want to see stronger games from Marner and Rielly.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

I'm a big Kappy fan, but I agree.

I think Babs has been hesitant because of the solid play of the 3rd line, but Johnson-Kadri-Kapanen is still a great 3rd line.

Nylander has played well enough as of late to be reunited with Matthews.

Reactions: saffronleaf

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Ya know what pisses me off, people are saying every team had bad games like the one in Arizona...

Yeah tell that to Tampa and Boston.

They both haven't had a bad game in 2 months.

Be real and say that this team takes days off sometimes, and they gotta learn how not to. Whether that's on the Coach or players, it's time to figure it out, or we probably get cleaned out in the playoffs.

Since December 19 (2 months ago using your parameters):

Toronto: 15-9
Boston: 17-9 (obviously played 2 more games)
Tampa: 18-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad