GDT: Leafs@Blues 8PM SNO

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Ehhh not every team can play that method either. It seems the Leafs excel against "modern" built teams but struggle against any team with old school elements like Boston, the Wild, Blues, Red Wings, Islanders, etc etc. All games this year where that was the theme and the boys had no response.

That is why the playoffs are predictable. Babcock either is not willing to make changes to counter this or doesn't know how to counter it. If they face a team who tries to play with speed and skill they can beat anyone (which is why they look so good vs Tampa). However if they draw a team who can play that style of game, they will lose.

Difference between us and Tampa is they have pride and heart. Skill is the same but on that team all their stars play like Marner. On the Leafs, it's only JT and Marner most nights looking like they give a ****. Everyone else on the team is prone to nights off and that includes the 11+ million dollar Arizona man.

I can reference many, many games over the last 2 years against teams like Winnipeg, Nashville, Washington, etc.. where we utterly smoked them and their superior "grit/toughness" played little to no factor at all. When our team comes out ready for battle and are willing to engage, the grit/toughness is a non-issue.
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/leafs-blues-8pm-sno.2611001/reply?quote=156761965

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
The first half of the season is a distant memory, STL is playing very well right now and that's what matters.

Well yeah, for sure now is what matters but anyone notice that this season, there are more than usual teams that really sucked in the first half but are on a tear right now with the Blues being on top of that list, then you have the Black Hawks, the Canes and the Flyers and sort of the Pens. I wonder if all or any of these teams will eventually start their losing ways again. And then there are teams that were tearing it up in the first half but now are just fading away now like the Habs, Avs, Wild and of course the Sabres.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I can reference many, many games over the last 2 years against teams like Winnipeg, Nashville, Washington, etc.. where we utterly smoked them and their superior "grit/toughness" played little to no factor at all. When our team comes out ready for battle and are willing to engage, the grit/toughness is a non-issue.

Yup but can you find playoff references cause I can't.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Engage? In what?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
That's a collection of teams with very different systems put in place.

It's a collection of teams who have tried to build in roughly the same model independent of system. The point of the post was that many teams may try to play that style vs the Leafs, but only so many have the personnel to make it work.

I wouldn't put any of those teams in the same category as the ones I listed besides maybe Washington, but even they have been retooled for the speed of the NHL.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yup but can you find playoff references cause I can't.
5 playoff wins vs Washington and Boston. After that goon-show in game 1, the dynamic of the series definitely changed.

But I am curious, how does Boston's top-line cycle endlessly in our own zone? Rielly and Hainsey outsize Boston's entire top-line by a significant margin. So do a lot of our forwards.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He says stuff like this and then proceeds to keep PM on the top line.

Yes it's nice to get kadri going but it's our #1 line, and is that what we'll be going into the playoffs with?

I suspect it changes before the playoffs. There is something to having three good lines rolling. Also, Matthews and Kap have shown to be an effective pair. Marleau never leaves the top nine, once we accept this reality, then things are less confusing.

I'm more concerned about getting the D pairing straight for the playoffs if anything. And finding a way to get Moore on the 4th line, we could use that jam come playoffs.

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017

Yes it's nice to get kadri going but it's our #1 line, and is that what we'll be going into the playoffs with?

Babcock says lots that I just roll my eyes at, but this has to take the cake. Nylander has probably been our best player, on both sides of the puck, the last 4+ games and to say this crap when no one else has to be accountable is beyond frustrating.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Yep....Marleau was horrible in his own end against the coyotes. Benchable horrible.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
5 playoff wins vs Washington and Boston. After that goon-show in game 1, the dynamic of the series definitely changed.

But I am curious, how does Boston's top-line cycle endlessly in our own zone? Rielly and Hainsey outsize Boston's entire top-line by a significant margin. So do a lot of our forwards.

That is just it. It is one thing to beat teams with "grit/toughness" during the season but it is much more difficult to beat them 4 of 7. Give a listen to Pang's assessment of the Leafs D. The game plan vs Leafs is to throw the puck in deep, battle and they will turn the puck over. If we can fix that, I like our chances better in the playoffs.

Reactions: ACC1224

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

They get hit, puck is taken, they pass to a wide open Pastrnak who taps it in the net.
I wish Marchand would go a little nuts, but I actually thinks he’s bored.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
That is just it. It is one thing to beat teams with "grit/toughness" during the season but it is much more difficult to beat them 4 of 7. Give a listen to Pang's assessment of the Leafs D. The game plan vs Leafs is to throw the puck in deep, battle and they will turn the puck over. If we can fix that, I like our chances better in the playoffs.

how does Boston's top-line cycle endlessly in our own zone when Rielly and Hainsey outsize them significantly?

It's got nothing to do with grit/physicality. It starts with an S and ends with two L's. It's the actual reason why Boston beat us.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I suspect it changes before the playoffs. There is something to having three good lines rolling. Also, Matthews and Kap have shown to be an effective pair. Marleau never leaves the top nine, once we accept this reality, then things are less confusing.

I'm more concerned about getting the D pairing straight for the playoffs if anything. And finding a way to get Moore on the 4th line, we could use that jam come playoffs.
I like Kapanen but a top line of Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander or even just switching Kapanen and Nylander would be a lot more effective. Kapanen has 2 5v5 assists in his last 44 games.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
how does Boston's top-line cycle endlessly in our own zone when Rielly and Hainsey outsize them significantly?

It's got nothing to do with grit/physicality. It starts with an S and ends with two L's. It's the actual reason why Boston beat us.

They create loose pucks and then go get them.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah it's no secret they don't like defending the cycle.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/blue-jackets-foligno-maple-leafs-dont-defend-well-hash-marks/
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hrudeys-take-maple-leafs-issue-defending-hash-marks/

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
This part too:

1. As per Corsica, Morgan Rielly played 16.1 minutes at five-on-five. Jake Muzzin and Travis Dermott each played 15.7 minutes, and Ron Hainsey was last among Toronto’s defencemen with 15 minutes. Basically, everyone was within one minute of each other, and that’s incredibly even usage. I just don’t see how these pairings could survive come playoff time, as I don’t see the even usage continuing. I have no idea what Babcock is doing here.

Reactions: IPS

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Skill definitely has something to do with it but so does strength and ability to hit somebody. Somebody claimed we do not need to hit because we are real good at stick checking.

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017
I like Kapanen but a top line of Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander or even just switching Kapanen and Nylander would be a lot more effective. Kapanen has 2 5v5 assists in his last 44 games.
This is not a good stat when you are passing to a guy who is arguably one of the best finishers in the game

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Many laughed a Foligno's comments because the Leafs beat them that night but he knows what he is talking about. I find it funny how some people sitting on their couches in front their computers think that they understand the game better than players (past and present) and media folks like McGuire who broadcast from between the benches of hundreds of hockey games a year and talks to hundred's of people in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad