Leafs Best Player ranking of 2013-2014 season #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This poll ain't about who the best leafs player is. It's who was the leafs best player based on last season's performance. So in other words, who was the leafs MVP.

It says right in the Title "Leafs Best Player". If the OP wanted it to be the MVP they would have titled it "Leafs MVP".

Durkin67

Bernier.without his heroics last year kessel would be demanding a trade.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
It says right in the Title "Leafs Best Player". If the OP wanted it to be the MVP they would have titled it "Leafs MVP".

Is that not the same thing? MVP tends to be your best player which is what I specified in the OP. If I had ask for the Leafs best player then the "Last Season Performance" part would be pretty useless.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
you could say the same thing about Kessel

Kessel is on the ice for more goals against then for. Acquiring him hasn't exactly made a huge difference thus far. Bernier had a great season on a bad team. Reimer played insane during the shortened season. It's why Burke himself said that he believes in building from the net out. A scoring winger is essential to a cup contender, it's essentially wasted on a poorly built team.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Kessel is on the ice for more goals against then for. Acquiring him hasn't exactly made a huge difference thus far. Bernier had a great season on a bad team. Reimer played insane during the shortened season. It's why Burke himself said that he believes in building from the net out. A scoring winger is essential to a cup contender, it's essentially wasted on a poorly built team.
No he isn't

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He was a minus 5 last year....so taking away the PP goals that he was on the ice for he was on the ice for more goals against then for.

Which is a different statement, but it will be nice when people understand what plus - minus measures.

TheThrill81*

Only with this fanbase does an unproven goalie get more votes than Phaneuf and JVR. What a joke.

1. Kessel
2. Phaneuf
3. JVR

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Only with this fanbase does an unproven goalie get more votes than Phaneuf and JVR. What a joke.

1. Kessel
2. Phaneuf
3. JVR

This is the best player of last year on the Leafs, not in a vacuum, Bernier was easily the highlight player beyond a pleasingly consistent Phil Kessel.

In a vacuum, JvR then Phaneuf might make sense, but not with what happened last year.

officialmark*

Obviously Kessel then Bernier, but in terms of last season Bozak if def top 5 vying for top 3.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I voted Carter Ashton, mostly because he barely played and therefor had as little as possible to do with last years efforts. He had an excuse, he didn't play much. The other guys on this list, not so much.

I had a good chuckle when I saw Ashton get a vote, but then I saw this comment and got buzz killed.

sync95

Feb 21, 2009
Ontario
Bernier will prove to be a blessing for this franchise. He will no doubt be around .925 SV% as long as he faces less shots than the 33 he averaged against last season. It would be terrible if he was subject to that kind pressure, no matter how often he can bail this team out. Bernier would surely leave if the Leaf's brass fail to shore up their team's defensive woes. It's been too long that Toronto has been a bottom-10 PK and shots against team. Regardless of what Corsi or Fenwick have to say, it remains important that the Leafs continue to improve these two stats.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
Went with JVR... Either him, Kessel, or Bernier. Very close for me.

But I felt JVRs work in front of the net and overall game made him more valuable than Kessel.
I don't think JVR's work in front of the net an overall game make up for 20 points difference, nevermind the fact that Kessel was the main catalyst on that line creating chances which allowed them to get those points.

JVR was an excellent penalty killer last year though, maybe if he is used there more this season we'll see his overall game result in more value for the Leafs. As of right now though it's ridiculous to not vote Kessel.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
At 5 on 5 Kessel was on for 75 goals for, 70 against.

The Leafs allowed a lot of shorthanded goals this year, which makes +/- go down. Hopefully our coaching staff realizes that Phaneuf and Franson should be split up on the PP so that one of our speedier defensemen who can get back quickly in the event of a turnover (Gardiner or Rielly) can man the point.

Another thing, do you also think that acquiring John Tavares hasn't exactly made a difference for the Islanders? Because the Islanders routinely get outscore when he is on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad