Leafs Best Player ranking of 2013-2014 season #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Bernier was a top 5 or so goalie in the league and plays a premium position.

Kessel was a top ~15-20 forward in the league but plays the least important position in hockey.

Close, but I'll go with Bernier.

Legion03

Aug 4, 2014
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Kessel was a top ~15-20 forward in the league but plays the least important position in hockey.

But Kessel was a top 5 RW, which is his position, just like Bernier's position is goalie. Don't think it's fair to push Kessel into a far larger group of players to make him seem like he wasn't as good.

Can't vote but I'd say Kessel is first, and I agree with it being close, but Bernier is second for me.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's close but it came down to Kessel and Bozak.

Bernier played well for 45 games, not enough for me to make him #1.

Kessel played well, but had too many ups and downs. He finished the year with only 6 points in 12 games a sore spot, and a minus. Plus he didn't play as well when Bozak was hurt. If this poll was for best scorer, he would win. But best player? Perhaps.

Bozak played 58 games and all were pretty consistent, he had 9 points to Kessel's 6 in the last 12 games of the year. He was a plus on the year, a force in shootouts that resulted in key wins. The only down stat he had last year was faceoffs. But when you look at his body of work, he was certainly one of our 2 best players last year.

For this, I went with Bozak.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Bernier was Leafs MVP

His .923 sv% (8th best) on a team that was 30th in shots against was a significant accomplishment.

Even with Bernier the Leafs were 8th last and his injury for just a few weeks sunk the Leafs season.

Without Bernier last year this team would have been a bottom 5 lottery team.

hockeyfanz*

If it was MVP then for me it is Bernier as we fell apart once he was injured.

Hard to vote if you do not know what you are voting on....best player and MVP is different. Best Player was Kessel.

This is EXACTLY my thought.

Best Player ---> Phil Kessel by a long shot.

MVP-----> Jonathan Bernier.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Best Player, as the poll states (not MVP), is easily Kessel.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Went with Bernier as I feel he was responsible for stealing more games than anybody on the team.

Was a top 5 goalie until the injury.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
This poll ain't about who the best leafs player is. It's who was the leafs best player based on last season's performance. So in other words, who was the leafs MVP.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto

Where does the fact that one played 100% of the season while the other only 67% factor into the equation?

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Reimer getting votes is ridiculous. Not selecting Kessel or Bernier is pretty silly in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad