Post-Game Talk: Leafs Beat the Avalanche 5-2

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Well I'm off for the night.

Sportsnet should have the GOTTA SEE IT for Nylander's pass up by now.

Gonna go put that on loop until I fall asleep.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Feels great man!

I thought the Avs gave us a boatload of space in the NZ and we just ripped them apart with the amount of options. Recipe for disaster against the Leafs.

We got some puck luck and favourable bounces which is always nice but I felt we deserved those based off of the way we started. Right from puck drop everyone had it going (except Zaits) starting with Matthews. He was the best Leaf tonight, imo. Other notables such as JT, Nylander, Kap, and Hainsey also stood out.

Team had a few moments at 2-1 when it could've gone the other way but we stayed composed, got some key saves from Fred (who looked a bit off) kept them to the outside and made the right plays.

Matthews started off with a couple of beauty passes to Kap and showed great effort and intensity in all zones, particularly defensively. Picked off some great plays in the d-zone as well.

Our PP finally broke out. 3 fastest PP goals in Leafs franchise history. The adjustment (besides shots) i've noticed is how everyone is constantly moving. They kept changing the point of attack, which is terrifying and very hard to defend.

Fabulous Las Vegas next stop!

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafSadist

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Good showing by the team!

PP is back to life after Hiller got the donald trump talk by Babs im sure.

Kapanen consistently breaks away and finds shots on net game after game. This kid must be signed. Hes the only player other than Tavares outta the forwards not easily bullied and pushed off the puck and has a gritty side.

Kap is what 22? Give him a few years into his already large frame, let his hands and shot match his foot speed and this guy is like Kessel.

Kadri has swag back. Nylander is again fast smooth skater. Goat is starting to learn to play better and heavier I find now he has steady minutes. We will need his 6'5 frame come playoffs.

*Points up and laughs at the guys on the ledge from the NY game

Go leafs go!

Reactions: TML Dynasty

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Good game.
Marner and Rielly need to play better than they did. Matthews is putting up the points and looks good but I don’t know what it is, in his rookie season he just dominated in a way he doesn’t now. Whether it’s teams adjusting to him or his shoulder injuries, I don’t know. Nylander is back to his old self as if that wasn’t evident already. Johnsson and Kapanen are gonna force us to make a decision we don’t want to if they keep playing like this. Andy was a god as always. On to the next one boys

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Matthews talks about when you move around and have more guys to pass too, that's when you have the opposition on their heels and not just repetitive same thing over and over again.

:laugh:

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this one, so much to like. Andersen is the key to our hopes this spring, looking good! And the PP is trending in the right direction, FINALLY!!

Reactions: MattySnipes

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Friggen JT was a puck magnet tonight, and not in a good way. Poor dude must have got hit HARD by the puck tonight at least 5 times. Get that man an ice bath, followed by a hot tub.

Sticking with JT, don't you love the fact that on a night when his line (usually the best line) was really average, Hyman was a bit of a ghost, Marner was a turnover machine and couldn't settle the puck... Tavares gets the primary assists on two powerplay goals, both beautiful passes to set up the other two scuffling centermen. Couldn't ask for anymore from #91. 8 points and +3 in the past 5 games. Just keeps playing as a captain should!

Reactions: saffronleaf

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I really think Nylander should just play Center. He drives his line and he plays like a Center and loves to hold onto the puck. A sniper on
One side and a power forward on the other and he would thrive 75-85 points a season.

Kadri-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Johnsson-Nylander-Hyman
Ennis-Goat-Brown

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marner rocking the 26cf% tonight.

Kid has to wake up. He's been playing like crap for a while now.
You are not allowed to criticize Marner. Get off his back:sarcasm:
Seriously though, he needs to be better.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Solid win. Matthews was much better tonight, and Nylander continues to round into form. Kadri and Kapanen were standouts as well.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad