Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat Calgary 4-1. Bernier brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
If the season ended today

We are barely in the playoffs despite everything, Bernier is saving us again(Canucks) and yes, Calgary's act wont last. We were even higher last year. Let us take a deep breath in a long season, this team still needs some pieces and some of our guys may cool off. With Komorov down I wonder the price of say a C Stewart?:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Tyler Biggs*

The boys have to learn how to stay offensive and keep playing hard versus sitting on a lead....They tend to back off and not forecheck and get puck watching...Fix that please!

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
I stated that I have no problem switching up the lines, but you aren't proving anything either.

Kessel absolutely needs to have other players create space for him. If you don't believe that, then you don't watch the games closely enough.

What do you suggest the Leafs do with the lines?

Is current line mates don't do this for him now. The line is a defensive train wreck, and has been for several years. They score a lot, but also give up a lot of goals.

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
The first period was good only in that Bernier stopped shots and Holland scored.

The second period was an excellent team effort and should be rinsed and repeated throughout the season.

Third period was a train wreck but good thing Bernier was outstanding. :handclap:

Anybody else see those stats sport net was showing where since the debacle the Leafs are third in NHL in wins or goals or something- can't be puck possession.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
b2b game man I doubt he'll start. :(

The historic statistical data for goalie SV% on the second night of a back-to-back is something like -0.20%.

So 32/33=0.970 SV%, which is insane, drops to about 0.950 SV% * 33 = 31, so yeah, Bernier maybe at risk of letting in an extra goal...

I think he might get the start anyways. The .970 isn't realistic but Bernier is back to his form from last season and the team is playing better defensively, so I would take the risk.

I'm not sure I feel comfortable expecting better than .950SV% from Reimer.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
The boys have to learn how to stay offensive and keep playing hard versus sitting on a lead....They tend to back off and not forecheck and get puck watching...Fix that please!

There's statistical data that probably backs up that style of play. Likely reduces injuries and reduces the amount of fatigue post game, as the players don't need to work as hard.

Has the disadvantage of giving the opponent a bit of a chance to come back but if it means fewer shutouts but more wins, I'm for it.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
The Red Wings system is great. Ours is not. I honestly think we are in the upper echelon of teams with Babcock or Q behind the bench

I don't see it. Babcock prefers a certain type of player, and I don't see Kessel and Kadri as being the type of players that would thrive under Babcock.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Calgary Fan chiming in!

Good game Leafs! Hard fought win.

Hope you all got to see why Calgary fans are excited though.

Got some good goaltending tonight for sure . Not a cop out, a win is a win. 1st star should be your goalie.

Good game bud. Continue right on with your winning ways now and clean up in the west. Good luck too.

That was a seesaw game.

hockeyfanz*

Firing Burke was a huge mistake!

Many thanks to Mr. Burke for getting the leafs where they are today. A couple more tweaks and our Leafs are set.

:laugh: "Try the veal, I'll be here till Thursday, please don't forget to tip your waiter, good night all"

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
We are barely in the playoffs despite everything, Bernier is saving us again(Canucks) and yes, Calgary's act wont last. We were even higher last year. Let us take a deep breath in a long season, this team still needs some pieces and some of our guys may cool off. With Komorov down I wonder the price of say a C Stewart?:sarcasm:

While true the team is playing well. They aren't realying on 1 line and most nights we win due to secondary scoring. Advanced stats suggest we are much better than prior years so the odds are in Torontos favour to keep it up. But Ya I'm sure everyone is still skeptical.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Couple quick thoughts:

Santorelli and Winnik must be resigned for next year. Seriously good hockey players. Love Santa's cycle game.

Lupul has provided a very much needed offensive jolt since his return.

Kadri has been impressing me more then any other forward on the team.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Couple quick thoughts:

Santorelli and Winnik must be resigned for next year. Seriously good hockey players. Love Santa's cycle game.

Lupul has provided a very much needed offensive jolt since his return.

Kadri has been impressing me more then any other forward on the team.

Where does the Cap space come from? :p:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Many thanks to Mr. Burke for getting the leafs where they are today. A couple more tweaks and our Leafs are set.

Bernier is the key piece of the team ... Nonis.

Man is Kessel useless without the puck in his own zone.

You know it might just be better to leave him up by center ice, that way he could compete for iced pucks because he won't compete in his own zone. It's like the Leafs are shorthanded every time the opposition gets the puck in the Leafs zone with Kessel out there.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Absolutely correct!! EXCEPT for the part where Nonis solidified our goaltending (Bernier) and completely rebuilt our bottom 6 depth which is why we are winning games right now (Winnik/Santo/Leo and even Clarkson....more importantly, no Orr/McLaren)....other than that, you are spot on...:help::shakehead

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Franson being a 1st. pairing defender, and Rielly going to be, move Phaneuf for a cheaper and younger player.

Find a contender that thinks they're a Phaneuf away from taking the next step.

Yes,

Let's trade Phaneuf and annoint Franson the best defensemen in Leaf history all time after a quarter of the season.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Franson being a 1st. pairing defender, and Rielly going to be, move Phaneuf for a cheaper and younger player.

Find a contender that thinks they're a Phaneuf away from taking the next step.

In case you haven't noticed, Phaneuf has been playing really well this season. Why take a step back? The team is winning currently, why not build off of that instead of the obligitory "gotta blow it up" mentality.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yes,

Let's trade Phaneuf and annoint Franson the best defensemen in Leaf history all time after a quarter of the season.

Wow, that is quite a compliment to Franson. I wouldn't have went there, as I've seen all their defenders for the last 55 years, but it isn't like Phaneuf is in that category either.

I don't see the Leafs as contenders, and I doubt very much advanced stats do either!

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Bernier was great when he needed to be, but I don't think he had to steal a win for us last night. We could have easily buried a few more chances, and we had the edge in play for most of the game.

For all the talk of the Leafs having trouble closing out games, it's worth noting that our record is still perfect going into the 3rd period with a lead.

The NHL is a league with parity, and the majority of teams are capable of gaining momentum when they are pushing for a tying goal. It's not realistic to expect to shut down a team for 60 minutes. That is why contending teams need a bonafide goalie that can shut the door. I think we have one.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Just a thought: Bernier has a .918SV% through 21 games, the first 15 or so of which his play was considered sub-par. We have a goalie here, folks, and it's about time people recognize that fact.

Now that I've let everyone know of my love for Bernier, I must say that the game last night was a great one to take in.

The Kadri line was far and away our best line last night. Like someone said here before, when Kadri was on the ice, the puck was in the offensive zone.

Rielly played a great game as well. You can see that his confidence is growing with each game & he makes smart decisions. Sky is the limit here.

Lupul & Holland are a good combo as well. Lupul looks like a man possessed since coming back from his injury. Hustle in all three zones. Nice to see!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce