Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat Calgary 4-1. Bernier brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Absolutely correct!! EXCEPT for the part where Nonis solidified our goaltending (Bernier) and completely rebuilt our bottom 6 depth which is why we are winning games right now (Winnik/Santo/Leo and even Clarkson....more importantly, no Orr/McLaren)....other than that, you are spot on...:help::shakehead
I'm happy Nonis was able to rebuild the bottom 6 after tearing it down the previous offseason.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Wow, that is quite a compliment to Franson. I wouldn't have went there, as I've seen all their defenders for the last 55 years, but it isn't like Phaneuf is in that category either.

I don't see the Leafs as contenders, and I doubt very much advanced stats do either!

I'm quite impressed that after 55 years of observational work, Cody Franson is a 1st pairing defenseman in your books.

Interesting.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I'm happy Nonis was able to rebuild the bottom 6 after tearing it down the previous offseason.

Agreed...that was the point i was making. Nonis has done a good job (with a few scares ie: Clarkson contract and trying to sign Bolland) since Burke left.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Firing Burke was a huge mistake!

Many thanks to Mr. Burke for getting the leafs where they are today. A couple more tweaks and our Leafs are set.

Burke.....did he trade for Bernier? I did not think so...as that who is making the difference right now!

Have you look at where Seguin is in the stats sheets.....sorry Burke hurt a lot more then he helped.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Burke.....did he trade for Bernier? I did not think so...as that who is making the difference right now!

Have you look at where Seguin is in the stats sheets.....sorry Burke hurt a lot more then he helped.

Burke brought in Kessel, Gardiner, Bozak, Lupul, Kadri, Phaneuf

It's Burke's core that's for sure.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Absolutely correct!! EXCEPT for the part where Nonis solidified our goaltending (Bernier) and completely rebuilt our bottom 6 depth which is why we are winning games right now (Winnik/Santo/Leo and even Clarkson....more importantly, no Orr/McLaren)....other than that, you are spot on...:help::shakehead

Most agree Burke wasn't afforded the opportunity to finish the job he had started. By doing all the heavy lifting he certainly left Nonis with an excellent foundation.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Burke brought in Kessel, Gardiner, Bozak, Lupul, Kadri, Phaneuf

It's Burke's core that's for sure.

Oooh a core whose biggest "accomplishment" thus far is a historic game 7 collapse in the first round. Till this core does something more significant, I won't give Burke credit.

hockeyfanz*

Oooh a core whose biggest "accomplishment" thus far is a historic game 7 collapse in the first round. Till this core does something more significant, I won't give Burke credit.

The core is down to Burke. The best piece on the team is one that Burke couldn't get in his 5 years. A starting goalie. The core has proven absolutely squat. Burkes acquisitons are a big who cares until they prove they can do anything other than crap themselves. Burke was a loser and so was his team building.

What a standard Leafs fans have, if this is considered good. Joke.

Actually the only thing I hated about his firing was that it took too long and that they didn't clean house but rather kept his useless mangament team in place. Burke = most over rated Toronto GM in its history. Without a doubt.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
In case you haven't noticed, Phaneuf has been playing really well this season. Why take a step back? The team is winning currently, why not build off of that instead of the obligitory "gotta blow it up" mentality.

There is a salary cap. I agree that building off of what we have can seem like a good idea, but moving forward do the Leafs really have the cap space to keep their current players, nevermind upgrading on them? The lack of belief in the core is also a contributing factor to the 'blow it up' mentality.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The core is down to Burke. The best piece on the team is one that Burke couldn't get in his 5 years. A starting goalie. The core has proven absolutely squat. Burkes acquisitons are a big who cares until they prove they can do anything other than crap themselves. Burke was a loser and so was his team building.

Actually the only thing I hated about his firing was that it took too long and that they didn't clean house but rather kept his useless mangament team in place. Burke = most over rated Toronto GM in its history. Without a doubt.

Yeah....Burke manage to build a non contending team while spending to the cap.

Liles, Komi, Grabo contracts we are still paying for...he was garbage.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I disagree. We're in much better shape than we were when he took over.

Yeah....Burke manage to build a non contending team while spending to the cap.

Liles, Komi, Grabo contracts we are still paying for...he was garbage.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Phaneuf. ;)

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Oh, Burke built this team.

This is a hot streak in a long season,our first round would be what Pitts? Nonnis got Bernier but without him? He is winning those games, our offense covers up certain shortcomings in our "core",I dont see this team doing that as the games get tighter..... still.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Burke gave Boston far too much for Kessel IMHO. He should have stuck with a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd!

That 1st round pick, that turned out to be the 2nd pick overall, just proves his talent evaluation skills was pure garbage at that time!

I'm still disgusted with losing those 2 1st round picks for Kessel!

Now, if Kessel had been able to turn us into a contender, and, those picks turned out to be lower range, say 20-25ish, then I'd have been happy with Burke! But, come on, 2 top 10 picks for Kessel was outrageous IMHO.

Last edited:

hockeyfanz*

I disagree. We're in much better shape than we were when he took over.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Phaneuf. ;)

Funny enough the Leafs are actually in no better shape than they were. You just like the names on the back of the jerseys better. Thats all. When we see actual results, then we can make such bold proclamations.

So you like the "star power" that Burke fleeced from teams eh? They have delivered results eh? 7 playoff games in 6 years? Much better shape.right. Except you don't know what kind of shape the Leafs would be in had a competent GM took the reigns back then instead of the fathead..who put the team on a freaking treadmill to nowhere.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Seguin would alone...

As a lawyer the condition could have easily been one top 2 pick(Seguin) for his Boston buddies.And he said he loved those deals...referring to Ferguson. He then just dropped the ball...oddly.

Sweet revenge, his ex team exposed his new team's weakness,it is hard to outwork skill.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

Yeah I'm not in favor or against this "core". I'm just stating that Burke's impression on this team is still here. This comes with more years at the GM position for Burke.

Save the theatrics and read the context

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Burke gave Boston far too much for Kessel IMHO. He should have stuck with a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd!

That 1st round pick, that turned out to be the 2nd pick overall, just proves his talent evaluation skills was pure garbage at that time!

I'm still disgusted with losing those 2 1st round picks for Kessel!

Now, if Kessel had been able to turn us into a contender, and, those picks turned out to be lower range, say 20-25ish, then I'd have been happy with Burke! But, come on, 2 top 10 picks for Kessel was outrageous IMHO.

Hindsight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce