GDT: Leafs at Kings 10:30 p.m. Sportsnet Ontario

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Welcome to the new NHL with that Polak hit. Instead of taking a hit, players tend to face the boards and put themselves in vulnerable positions. I don't like to see it, but we'll see more and more of it if the league doesn't do something about telling the players not to do it.

I didn't watch any of the game, but from the highlights, it looked like the Leafs had some good push back and that's good to see on a back to back.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
That was a great game. Can't fault them at all for coming up just short.

It's so refreshing to watch a team that shows up every night. I don't think there has been a single game this year where I've felt the players were mailing it in.

Agreed, sounds odd to say this but if the Leafs make the playoffs I don't think anyone wants to face them in the 1st round. There is usually a high seed upset in the early rounds and the way Babcock can defensivly choke the **** out of other teams , the Leafs are the last team that anyone wants to face. I've lost count of many players from other teams after playing the Leafs have called them a heavy team, or an aggressive team, or a team that clogs up the neutral and d zones.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Welcome to the new NHL with that Polak hit. Instead of taking a hit, players tend to face the boards and put themselves in vulnerable positions. I don't like to see it, but we'll see more and more of it if the league doesn't do something about telling the players not to do it.

I didn't watch any of the game, but from the highlights, it looked like the Leafs had some good push back and that's good to see on a back to back.

I thought it was boarding but I also thought that it was in no way a 5 and a game.It was definitely a 2 min minor.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I thought it was boarding but I also thought that it was in no way a 5 and a game.It was definitely a 2 min minor.

Yeah, I think there needs to be more conversation about it.

Should there have been a 2 minute penalty? Absolutely.

But I could count at least 5 times a game where a player puts himself in a terrible spot.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yeah, I think there needs to be more conversation about it.

Should there have been a 2 minute penalty? Absolutely.

But I could count at least 5 times a game where a player puts himself in a terrible spot.

Was a total joke, what is a guy to do when someone puts their head down and turns into the boards with a guy .25 secs behind him coming into check him. There was only 1 outcome unless Polak jumped out of the way an let his man shift and go in on net alone.

It's a shame Tof doesn't get a penalty for Dangerous/Wreckless play.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

2min is all it should have been.

This has be happening way to much.

Perhaps it is time to add a "dangerous play" penalty against these guys. If you have a divers (embellishment) penalty maybe you should have a penalty for these plays?

Not sure who taught them this but it should be up to every player to play smart.

What was Polak supposed to do become vapor?

2 minutes should have been the call.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Perhaps it is time to add a "dangerous play" penalty against these guys. If you have a divers (embellishment) penalty maybe you should have a penalty for these plays?

Not sure who taught them this but it should be up to every player to play smart.

Great minds think alike, all for the dangerous play penalty myself. Looks like we were thinking it at about the same time haha.

MSG*

I was so happy to hear the leafs flew out west early on sunday. I was actually hoping they flew out Saturday night, but that's a little much.

west coast teams have a huge advantage at home, as eastern teams coming in are playing the game late at night according to their internal clocks. getting out there three days early to adjust was a great idea, and i'm glad to see our organization not being cheap and being proactive in every possible way. finally we're being professional.

That is absolutely ridiculous. I have been watching since the seventies and what you just said is so untrue. This was a team in the western conference! Such nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Its a hard call to give a player 2 minutes for trying to elude a checker, I agree that the players needs to be aware of who is on the ice (Tofoli could do that vs Gardner and Gardner would not have driven him into the 3rd row of seats) and play accordingly but to give Tofoli a 2 minute for trying to elude Polak, that's going to stifle creativity.

Yes the puck carrier can put himself in a situation where he could get hurt , in the end he is not initiating contact, the checker is and for that reason the checker has to own the force of said contact.

Those button hooks for so many reasons are dangerous, boarding and blindside hits would be two, but if done without contact they can open up space for a trailing attacker.

I'm kinda on the fence about how you help improve player safety but dont take creativity out of the game.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
That was a great game all things considered. You could really tell fatigue was setting in, there were a lot of missed passes etc the last half the game. Impressed they managed to generate the chances they did with the goalie pulled, Quick came up big to take it home.

Reimer looked solid, especially considering he hasn't played in forever and coming off an injury.

If this is how Lupul is when he's not getting injured he's better off missing half the season, pretty much every other forward on this team is out playing him.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
That was a great game all things considered. You could really tell fatigue was setting in, there were a lot of missed passes etc the last half the game. Impressed they managed to generate the chances they did with the goalie pulled, Quick came up big to take it home.

Reimer looked solid, especially considering he hasn't played in forever and coming off an injury.

If this is how Lupul is when he's not getting injured he's better off missing half the season, pretty much every other forward on this team is out playing him.

I never really got the feeling that Lupul enjoys the game, he's always got that aloof attitude. The guy has the talent, not so sure he has the drive or desire to compete.

I didn't even know he was playing till I saw his number skate by middle 2nd period.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Its a hard call to give a player 2 minutes for trying to elude a checker, I agree that the players needs to be aware of who is on the ice (Tofoli could do that vs Gardner and Gardner would not have driven him into the 3rd row of seats) and play accordingly but to give Tofoli a 2 minute for trying to elude Polak, that's going to stifle creativity.

Yes the puck carrier can put himself in a situation where he could get hurt , in the end he is not initiating contact, the checker is and for that reason the checker has to own the force of said contact.

Those button hooks for so many reasons are dangerous, boarding and blindside hits would be two, but if done without contact they can open up space for a trailing attacker.

I'm kinda on the fence about how you help improve player safety but dont take creativity out of the game.

I think it is a stretch to call turning your back to a pursuer at the last moment creativity.

I think we are going to see more and more of this.

The old ways of protecting yourself will stop being taught and we'll see young kids learning to crash headfirst into the boards to draw a major penalty.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I think it is a stretch to call turning your back to a pursuer at the last moment creativity.

The old ways of protecting yourself will stop being taught and we'll see young kids learning to crash headfirst into the boards to draw a major penalty.

Stop and go has been part of the hockey playbook since hockey has been hockey. Eluding a checker is with out a doubt a skill that can be classified creative, part of that skill is varying your speed so the checker either over pursues or under pursues. Tyler recognized that Polak had speed, Tyler probably thought I can stop faster than Polak can, so he tried a button hook. It didn't work out for him last night but that particular play happens in every rink every night multiple times, rarely with that outcome.

If Tyler had eluded Polak there was no one between him and the net... the drive to score is so ingrained in players, they will sometimes they take risks that put them in jeopardy.

If you try to button hook against the boards or through the neutral zone (WJC Nylander hit), you are playing with fire but if it works you will probably have a grade A scoring chance.

Maybe this would be a good separate topic about what should and shouldn't be a penalty.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
If we can guarantee Matthews coming to the Leafs in exchange for Komarov, I STILL WOULDNT DO IT. He's unproven and untested in the NHL.

It's time to stop.

I wanted to see what LA fans thought of TO's play so I looked at their GDT. My time as an NBA fan has prepared me to expect the type of trash that inhabits LA :laugh:

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Great minds think alike, all for the dangerous play penalty myself. Looks like we were thinking it at about the same time haha.

From last night.

And it is coached by asshead coaches in minor hockey.

In the interest of player safety they should create a new penalty in the NHL & in minor hockey. When you intentionally turn your back to an oncoming check, you get a 2 min penalty. Call it, 2 mins for being an idiot.

The old ways of protecting yourself will stop being taught and we'll see young kids learning to crash headfirst into the boards to draw a major penalty.[/QUOTE

The younger kids coming up have a few negatives when it comes to protecting themselves. They had raised the age where body checking starts, so at a younger age they were not ingrained with the knowledge of where the danger areas are with respect to being hit.

If that was me playing I probably wouldn't have cut back in that situation, if I felt I had time I would, but I would never have allowed my body to be facing the boards when the hit came. I would have rolled my left shoulder to ensure my head wasn't facing the boards, I might have been smacked into the boards hard but my head wouldn't have been leading.

In addition & I have brought this up before. I know for a fact, some idiot coaches are teaching players to turn their back to protect the puck. They'll even say, "if you turn your back to them, they can't hit you" & if they do, we go on the power play.

There is less checking in minor hockey than 20 years ago, so players aren't as wise about protecting themselves & the poorly coached teams will produce more similar instances.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

The most dangerous spot on the ice: 3 feet from the boards.
You are better off to hug the boards as close as you can to prevent injury.
Definitely need some kind of solution. Allow a grab play instead of hit. You can grab a player and pin him to the boards then you must let go (and not use your hands) just your body from there.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
thing is, there's only a handful of teams they'll lose consistently to when playing like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad