GDT: Leafs at Kings 10:30 p.m. Sportsnet Ontario

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
go with bernier, just because reims is coming back from injury.

but this might turn into an interesting test of Babcock's flexibility eventually - he prefers going with one clear starter but the hockey gods may be telling him that it's time to use a true platoon.

Bernier is the anointed one, if he can just continue to soothe his jangled nerves.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
After Polak went down, it was a heroic effort from the D, especially in the 3rd period of a back to back on a west coast swing.

Rolled my eyes a few times at some of the Phaneuf/Remier complaints.

Both were good....as was Marincin when he had to step up.

Good team game overall.

RayNibbs

Mar 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
i meant that tongue in cheek. LA is a better team than whoever we played yesterday...Ducks. but dangit. Reimer needs to play better than Bernier lol. Next time baby next time.

My apologies haha. I know too many who are much too quick to jump to conclusions such as that from small sample sizes.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
All I wanted at best was a tight game, hopefully with the Leafs winning.

What a great game! Sucks we lost but amazing to see a 60 minute effort (yes even the first period, they kept their composure and weren't flat) on a back to back at this time of night.

I wonder how Babcock addresses this loss. I'm sure he must be happy as hell with the effort but it's still a loss.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Good Effort-no complaints

Get rested for the weaker Sharks.

Goaltending: Bernier has been on a roll, Reimer hasn't lost a beat and best save per centage in the league. Conundrum

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
They might have lost, but that was one hell of a way to lose.

The last couple minutes were just insane. Just shot after shot, throwing the kitchen sink at Quick. Just couldn't get anything past him there.

Good effort and that's what we've asked for.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
A fun game to watch. Lots of physicality, good pace, great goaltending.

I don't think the shots reflected what occurred on the ice. The Kings did a better job of keeping pucks from reaching Quick and the Leafs gave an odd rush too many, but it felt like we spent a good deal of time in their zone. Usually when you get outshot by a 2-to-1 margin, you're stuck in your own zone the entire game, and that certainly wasn't the case with the Leafs tonight.

All in all, put up a good fight on the second night of a back-to-back, with only 5 defensemen most of the game, against a much better hockey club. Nothing to be down about. Neither is going into southern California and taking 2 of 4 points.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
You have to give the Leafs credit played 2 physical teams on a back-to-back on the road were so close to tying it at rhe end but oh well.

Reimer looked great especially considering he has played only 20 minutes in the past month.

Another thing that impressed me about the Leafs was they kept up with the Kings physically. The Kings are a BIG team. Last year or two years ago they did not have a single player under 6'0" OR 200 lbs. i feel like the Leafs probably have half their team under those numbers, yet tonight they went blow for blow with a heavy weight contender.

I also like how they played considering the time change. Its a 3-hour difference here in Cali so for the body clock's the game didnt start until 10:30pm. Not bad guys, good luck on Saturday

champs*

great game tonight but i dunno about our #6 d-man spot. Would like a more defensive banger in there, harrington?

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
The Leafs were the better team until they pounded the Kings net with shot after shot and didn't get on the board. There was an immediate collectives sigh, and let down. Their legs and hearts gave out on them temporarily and the Kings sensed it and brought out the full thug game they play so well.

But if we had been as rested as them, and not lost one of our dmen, we beat them in a six game series.

THINK about THAT.

We have a game that they hate playing against. But we lost the legs to keep the puck in the neutral zone.

Soon as it became a board game, we were on the ropes unfortunately. I hate the kings, and their strategy, its the 1974 Flyers circa NHL 2016. Horrible game, cept for people who love thuggery.

Its possibly a little late for us to crawl our way to the playoffs, but no question, unless we give Babcock the year off, next year, this team makes the playoffs.

The way Babcock has the team passing amazes me, I have never seen a Leaf team pass this well and more importantly RECEIVE a pass in full flight. Great to watch.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
That was a great game. Can't fault them at all for coming up just short.

It's so refreshing to watch a team that shows up every night. I don't think there has been a single game this year where I've felt the players were mailing it in.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
My apologies haha. I know too many who are much too quick to jump to conclusions such as that from small sample sizes.

No need to apologize bud, I should have used the :sarcasm: smilie. GLG

It's been fun posting here on GDT. Great atmosphere here, I feel like the tide is turning and the majority of LEAF fans actually want the Leafs to win for a change (instead of tanking) lol. I think when we watch our players lay it out all on the line, giving their 100% effort against a Stanley Cup caliber team, it's hard NOT to cheer for the underdog. I think that's what being a Toronto sports fan is about. We are usually perceived as the underdog in the NBA, MLB, even the NHL. I personally prefer being the underdog, it makes you work harder and I love seeing the shock on the faces of doubters, haters, etc.

Last edited:

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Reimer was great tonight, the Leafs look like an entirely different team. really impressed with the team as a whole honestly

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Reimer was great tonight, the Leafs look like an entirely different team. really impressed with the team as a whole honestly

Yep, this. Was a whole lot of fun and from the outside looking in the effort and structure is night and day from where it was before this season. Gonna be a scary team in the future as some of the kids mature (or just straight up get to the NHL, heh). Good leadership and coaching in place can work wonders. Cheers.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
I think trading or removing Komarov might dilute the never take a night off Leafs. Trading him might be a bit of a mini disaster.

If I was Washington though I would throw a huge deal at Toronto to get their hands on Komarov.

They would win the Cup for sure imho if they had Komagod.

He is worth throwing a first and a second at Toronto, might as well go all in for the Cup at some point.

Might be hard for Lou and Hunter to say no to.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The Leafs were the better team until they pounded the Kings net with shot after shot and didn't get on the board. There was an immediate collectives sigh, and let down. Their legs and hearts gave out on them temporarily and the Kings sensed it and brought out the full thug game they play so well.

But if we had been as rested as them, and not lost one of our dmen, we beat them in a six game series.

THINK about THAT.

We have a game that they hate playing against. But we lost the legs to keep the puck in the neutral zone.

Soon as it became a board game, we were on the ropes unfortunately. I hate the kings, and their strategy, its the 1974 Flyers circa NHL 2016. Horrible game, cept for people who love thuggery.

Its possibly a little late for us to crawl our way to the playoffs, but no question, unless we give Babcock the year off, next year, this team makes the playoffs.

The way Babcock has the team passing amazes me, I have never seen a Leaf team pass this well and more importantly RECEIVE a pass in full flight. Great to watch.

I get that you are giddy. But the Leafs beat the Kings in a playoff series?

Babcock's Wings won just 2 series in their last 5 seasons. That's with a Selke and Norris trophy winner.

Game 39 of the regular season isn't the same.

I love a good parade and all but let's not jump the gun here.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
If we can guarantee Matthews coming to the Leafs in exchange for Komarov, I STILL WOULDNT DO IT. He's unproven and untested in the NHL.

Matthews would be under team control for at least 7 years.

Komarov is under team control for two more.

If Komarov was 23 years old and RFA, I would need a hell of an overpayment for him. But at 28 and UFA in 2 years, he's not worth nearly as much.

We're not trading "Komarov". We're trading "Two more years of Komarov".

If Komarov wasn't on the Leafs, what would we give up for him? The answer to that isn't a top 10 pick.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock addresses the media following Toronto's 2-1 loss against Los Angeles on Thursday night.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Matthews would be under team control for at least 7 years.

Komarov is under team control for two more.

If Komarov was 23 years old and RFA, I would need a hell of an overpayment for him. But at 28 and UFA in 2 years, he's not worth nearly as much.

We're not trading "Komarov". We're trading "Two more years of Komarov".

If Komarov wasn't on the Leafs, what would we give up for him? The answer to that isn't a top 10 pick.

He's actually 29 in two weeks. Clock is ticking on his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad