TSN: Leafs at Championship

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
On one hand, feel bad for Kappy not going any further in the tournament.

On the other hand, it's nice that Finnish fans will be taken down a peg.

Now we just wait until the Jets get knocked out and all of Finland will enter a state of depression. It will be glorious. :sarcasm:

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Performances in this tournament are to be taken with a grain of salt, the competition is quite watered down, bigger ice surface, etc.
Here we go always one that denigrates the World's. Yes it's a different game on the larger ice but Zaitsev was excellent against Canada which has a roster that would easily be strong enough to win the Stanley Cup. Are Ekblad, Parayko, Murray, Nurse and Vlasic not Dmen that you would kill to have on the Leafs? Well he outperformed all of them yesterday and has all tournament long.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I don't care for those either. But I don't think I need the disappointment on an international scale while being disappointed by the Leafs.
My apologies for forgetting that other Finnish fans exist. I'm sorry your country got knocked out. :(

Reactions: taurine330

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
My apologies for forgetting that other Finnish fans exist. I'm sorry your country got knocked out. :(
The Finns took some big scalps before going down: Canada and the United States. They are good at every tournament and were fantastic at the U-18s. Regardless what happens in the NHL, Finnish hockey fans have a great reasons to be happy.

Reactions: taurine330

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I've always thought that zaitsev needs to have a stabilizing partner like Hainsey rather than trying to be one for Gardiner. He doesn't seem to be utilized properly by Babcock and it's hurting him

Get in line, Zaitsev. It starts around the corner and down the hall...

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yeah. Zaitsev is a guy who should be on a powerplay, but seeing as we only play one defenseman, he's behind Rielly, Gardiner, and I'd say Dermott as well.
Imo aside from the injury bug and baby, Z is getting the rielly treatment or got it. Remember this is just his second year

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Why do you think it's a passive style?

Let's take passing the puck out of his own zone and denying offensive zone entries for instance

He's a very good skater so holding his own blueline isn't a mobility issue where he's a risk of being blown past by an attacking player but he's still so passive he's backing in on the goaltender and trying to block the shot anyway

When he's trying to get the puck out of his own zone he's way to keen to either make Gardiner do it or just off the glass and out which isn't ideal

He's got the ability to do both those things so why isn't he? The only thing I can come up with is confidence and mindset which looks very conservative and passive because he's afraid to make a mistake

He's not a Polak type who actually has to play that way to be successful

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Let's take passing the puck out of his own zone and denying offensive zone entries for instance

He's a very good skater so holding his own blueline isn't a mobility issue where he's a risk of being blown past by an attacking player but he's still so passive he's backing in on the goaltender and trying to block the shot anyway

When he's trying to get the puck out of his own zone he's way to keen to either make Gardiner do it or just off the glass and out which isn't ideal

He's got the ability to do both those things so why isn't he? The only thing I can come up with is confidence and mindset which looks very conservative and passive because he's afraid to make a mistake

He's not a Polak type who actually has to play that way to be successful
Hmm. I see him being positional and stunting the players to bad shooting angles while staying in position to deny other plays.
As for deferring to Gardiner, usually that's a good idea but I agree he needs to move the puck better. I do think that he will have a better year at that too.
We will see

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Hmm. I see him being positional and stunting the players to bad shooting angles while staying in position to deny other plays.
As for deferring to Gardiner, usually that's a good idea but I agree he needs to move the puck better. I do think that he will have a better year at that too.
We will see

I see him backing up way to often for my liking, if he held his blueline he'd be in a much better position to move the puck back up ice and he wouldn't have to defend in his own zone so much, I don't particularly like him having to block shots or giving up a lot of shots even if there from iffy angles

Deferring to Gardiner is one thing but that being the go to option isn't ideal, it's far to easy for forecheckers to key in on and he's way to keen to off the glass and out as well

I'm concerned but I live in hope

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad