GDT: Leafs at Canadiens 7:30 SportsNet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Why would we make a deal to keep Dermott when we actually have options in house to replace him. Paying Seattle to not take Dermott and Kerfoot instead...we then need to find a new 3rd line center from outside the organization.

Kerfoot is not even that good. Leafs should definitely upgrade. I’d keep Dermott over Kerfoot any day.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Why would we make a deal to keep Dermott when we actually have options in house to replace him. Paying Seattle to not take Dermott and Kerfoot instead...we then need to find a new 3rd line center from outside the organization.
We don't have any viable options today to replace him and stay good with 6 guys ... we have other mixed bag options which make team weaker overall today ... we not only need to keep Dermy we need 1 more VET defender for a playoff run when 2 or 3 defenders will be down with injury ...
we bring in Lehtonen and he needs sheltering/benching for large parts of 5on5 game we are going with 5 D... we bring in Sandin and he can't keep up so against fast teams like Habs he also sits on bench as Keefe can't play him ... not smart

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I'd keep Bogo in for the Habs games. But I wouldn't mind trying Dermott and Lehtonen together for one of the Sens games next week to give Bogosian a game off.
Ya thats a good point, Maybe against the Sens, you get a couple guys some reps. You never wanna underestimate your opponent, but Sandin and Lehtonen are both better than half of Ottawa's D-core. Id probably dress the normal lineup on game 1 of the 3 game set, and if they walk away with the 2pts, I'd get the blender going, and get some games in for the Taxi squad. I'm sure the guys that would be pulled out of the lineup wouldn't be ass hurt about it either

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
We don't have any viable options today to replace him and stay good with 6 guys ... we have other mixed bag options which make team weaker overall today ... we not only need to keep Dermy we need 1 more VET defender for a playoff run when 2 or 3 defenders will be down with injury ...
we bring in Lehtonen and he needs sheltering/benching for large parts of 5on5 game we are going with 5 D... we bring in Sandin and he can't keep up so against fast teams like Habs he also sits on bench as Keefe can't play him ... not smart
I think it is ridiculous to act like Sandin won't be able to handle 3rd pair minutes next year. I mean thats just me. I also think if the Vegas draft proved anything is not to get emotionally attached and make mistakes because of it.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Kerfoot is not even that good. Leafs should definitely upgrade. I’d keep Dermott over Kerfoot any day.
Yeah I mean he isn't perfect but we literally have no other options. Dermott goes and we have a number of them. Paying to keep Dermott for them to take Kerfoot which opens an even larger hole in our team is just nonsensical to me.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think it is ridiculous to act like Sandin won't be able to handle 3rd pair minutes next year. I mean thats just me. I also think if the Vegas draft proved anything is not to get emotionally attached and make mistakes because of it.
He can, if he lengthens his stride, he could move up into top 4 actually pretty easily ... but right now he is flat out too slow and can't keep up ... if he had defensive awareness and size of Muzzy or Bogo great but he doesn't ... when you are SMALL you MUST be super fast ... Rielly and Dermy are super fast

Reactions: LeafsRus

Bigbadhabs33

Jan 19, 2021
Yes, last month we had a game every 2nd day. I was referring to last season when every single one of our games was a 2nd of a back to back.
Yeah that was unfortunate about last year but neighter team did anything last year so let's focus on this year

Reactions: AvroArrow

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
He can, if he lengthens his stride, he could move up into top 4 actually pretty easily ... but right now he is flat out too slow and can't keep up ... if he had defensive awareness and size of Muzzy or Bogo great but he doesn't ... when you are SMALL you MUST be super fast ... Rielly and Dermy are super fast
Maybe but I'd argue Sandin processes plays faster than Dermott and maybe even Reilly. That quick little pass to Mitch who then set up Papi for the one-timer being a perfect example.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Maybe but I'd argue Sandin processes plays faster than Dermott and maybe even Reilly. That quick little pass to Mitch who then set up Papi for the one-timer being a perfect example.
I agree when play is stuck in both defensive end and offensive end and game is being played in half ice he is fine right now ... but there are large parts of games where you gotta fly out of your end and fly back into your end an up/down ice game where chances get exchanged fast ... this is where speed is required ... I have NO DOUBT that in our end of ice with puck in corner with Sandin with it that he will withstand a hit and keep puck much better then both Dermy and Rielly ... I have seen it ... he has a stronger core and better balance than either of those guys today ... but again you still need to be able to keep up to play up/down ice ... it is exact same problem Bracco had his stride is TOO short to generate NHL speed

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Not sure what Vessey does to stay in the line up

Anderson at least put in a good effort in one game he played. I would like to see more of Joey Anderson
3rd line is exactly where he should be

Vessey has been down right trash in every sense of the word. Luckily we are winning so nobody is complaining including Keefe

But I hope Keefe is not delusional thinking he's the player you want on your 3rd line come playoffs. 3rd line combined has 4 goals in 43 games played. None from Mikaheyev
That's not good enough depth. Right now Matthews is super hot carrying this team along with Marner

Keefe really needs to start playing Anderson and Sandin more to keep them in game shape. Injuries will happen and you want them to be game ready

Reactions: supermann_98

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I think we will do some kind of deal with seattle so they pass on Dermy ... if they don't then Dermy will be gone ... just like Habs will lose Chiarot ... defenders are always 1st and top picks for expansion ... 1 goaler ... and a couple centres ... and then whatever wingers are left

I doubt we do any deal to protect him. He's not worth an asset to save.

Teams got absolutely screwed with these deals last go around

Reactions: supermann_98

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I have my suspicions that the Leafs are not overly worried about losing Kerfoot, unless it would be very cheap to keep him around. Similar to Holl. They are looking at guys they feel can provide surplus value going forward, such as Dermott.

If the Leafs lose Kerfoot, it will have to be a priority to replace him but they may be able to find a decent stop gap in free agency next year (Haula, Getzlaf, Krejci, Stastny, Wennberg, Bjugstad, etc.). Danault and RNH are likely too expensive. Losing Holl is also not a big deal with Dermott ready to step in to a top 4, and then having Sandin and Liljegren for a bottom pairing (plus they will likely add a good #7 and #8 as well).

I don't think the Leafs will overplay their hand too much in the expansion draft. If they lose Kerfoot or Holl, it sucks but it is not going to end them and they recover some cap space to put towards a replacement, which they should be able to find.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I have my suspicions that the Leafs are not overly worried about losing Kerfoot, unless it would be very cheap to keep him around. Similar to Holl. They are looking at guys they feel can provide surplus value going forward, such as Dermott.

If the Leafs lose Kerfoot, it will have to be a priority to replace him but they may be able to find a decent stop gap in free agency next year (Haula, Getzlaf, Krejci, Stastny, Wennberg, Bjugstad, etc.). Danault and RNH are likely too expensive. Losing Holl is also not a big deal with Dermott ready to step in to a top 4, and then having Sandin and Liljegren for a bottom pairing (plus they will likely add a good #7 and #8 as well).

I don't think the Leafs will overplay their hand too much in the expansion draft. If they lose Kerfoot or Holl, it sucks but it is not going to end them and they recover some cap space to put towards a replacement, which they should be able to find.
Not even a small chance I'm exposing Holl. In general I agree though. Fully against paying assets of any type to Seattle. They take Kerfoot or Dermott and we move on.

Reactions: LeafsRus

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Agreed but you do what you have to do to keep our defense strong for years to come ... lose a winger or two no biggie but defensemen are 5-7 year projects

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Can't wait for the Habs to get all the early powerplays, jump out to a lead and then watch it dissapear when we finally get powerplays in the third and win in OT.
So Habs fans can again tell us we only won because of our powerplay despite scoring the exact same number of powerplay goals on less powerplay opportunities.
Should be fun :)

So true. Maybe they should stop shooting at the ref and clearing the puck over the glass.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Not even a small chance I'm exposing Holl. In general I agree though. Fully against paying assets of any type to Seattle. They take Kerfoot or Dermott and we move on.

I would. He's been great, but I don't think he is going to be sustainable. I think Muzzin helps a lot of guys play better than their abilities.

The other thing is that I am fairly confident that they'd take Kerfoot over Holl. Most teams are going to choose to protect guys in their top 6/9 than a #4 defenseman (we are just a team fortunate enough to not have to worry about protecting Hyman, Mikheyev, Vesey, etc.), so they will have a lot of Holl's from other teams, but likely not a lot of Kerfoot's. If we do lose Holl, we would have Dermott, Sandin, and Liljegren anyways, while we would have no one for Kerfoot (but a lot of cap space and a number of options for decent stop gaps).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Agreed but you do what you have to do to keep our defense strong for years to come ... lose a winger or two no biggie but defensemen are 5-7 year projects

And we have Dermott, Liljegren, and Sandin to replace Holl, who came out of nowhere himself. Nothing close for Kerfoot, and we'd have to expose both Holl and Kerfoot anyways. The thing is we only lose one of them, and I don't think it is a big enough deal to warrant protecting either even though it would be probably be one of the top priorities to replace either of them through UFA.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
I have a good feeling about this game tonight, folks! Leafs will win in a blow-out

GLG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad