Dreger: Leafs asking prices for Kapanen and Kadri

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
I agree. But then right now it would be Maple Leafs fans having the last laugh.

But reality is, Dubas:

Signed JT to the highest UFA contract at the time he signed
Signed Matthews to the 2nd highest RFA contract at the time he signed

And Marner just out scored them both. So of course Marner's camp is saying, "pay me too".

And anyone who calls him out and asks him to 'take a discount to help the team' needs a head exam.

It's not a player's responsibility to take discounts and help a team with it's cap. That's the GM's job to sort all that out.

While I hate the size of player contracts, I'm not against a player requesting his (comparative) due.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
And it is still a mistake by Dubas anyway you want to parse it.

A good GM would have signed Matthews and Marner first.
Make sure they are locked into team friendly deals.

Then see if Tavares was signable with how much cap was left.

Then make a decision on Nylander.

It was a faulty sequence young Dubas learned here. Let's hope he does not make similar mistakes going fwd for the Leafs sake.

Do you think young Lou made a mistake not signing Nylander a year early?

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Do you think young Lou made a mistake not signing Nylander a year early?
Nylander is not priority 1 caliber.

Lou did sign Rielly and Kadri when they were RFA's on April 13, 2016. Well before July 1 or in Nylander's case as Dubas found out certainly not wait until Dec 1.

Do you think the Rielly and Kadri contracts turned out ok for the Leafs?

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
And anyone who calls him out and asks him to 'take a discount to help the team' needs a head exam.

It's not a player's responsibility to take discounts and help a team with it's cap. That's the GM's job to sort all that out.

While I hate the size of player contracts, I'm not against a player requesting his (comparative) due.
Sure taking a couple million less than Matthews sucks but a 9.6*8 contract will still make him the second highest paid winger in the league so in the grand scheme of things it's not really a discount. It's more Matthews is being overpaid so Marner wants to be overpaid as well.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

For sure.

As I said before, pay Marner...trade AJ or Kapanen for futures, and dress Bracco instead. Bracco will get 75% of the production those guys did but at 25-30% of the cost. And the futures you get, hopefully is ready in another 2-3 years to do things all over again.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
And it is still a mistake by Dubas anyway you want to parse it.

A good GM would have signed Matthews and Marner first.
Make sure they are locked into team friendly deals.

Then see if Tavares was signable with how much cap was left.

Then make a decision on Nylander.

It was a faulty sequence young Dubas learned here. Let's hope he does not make similar mistakes going fwd for the Leafs sake.
That is not true. 2 years ago Chiarelli signed McDavid then Draisaitl and because McDavid got $12.5 mil Drai was "overpaid" at $8.5 mil so everyone said that the Leafs had to sign Nylander and Marner before Matthews so they could not use Matthews' contract in comparison like Draisaitl did with McDavid's.

As for Marner, last summer his agent came out and said that they would not negotiate until after the season (knowing Marner was slated to play with Tavares and hoping for a terrific year).

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
According to Dubas "It's our full intention that Naz is going to be on the team."

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
According to Dubas "It's our full intention that Naz is going to be on the team."

“It’s our full intention”.
A lot different than ‘Naz isn’t going anywhere’.
He’s saying he intends to have him, unless someone makes a good offer for him.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Nylander is not priority 1 caliber.

Lou did sign Rielly and Kadri when they were RFA's on April 13, 2016. Well before July 1 or in Nylander's case as Dubas found out certainly not wait until Dec 1.

Do you think the Rielly and Kadri contracts turned out ok for the Leafs?

Right but in terms of that particular offseason he would’ve been priority #1. Instead Lou signed Marleau.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
“It’s our full intention”.
A lot different than ‘Naz isn’t going anywhere’.
He’s saying he intends to have him, unless someone makes a good offer for him.
Yes, that is true. I hadn't suggested different.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
the Leafs further take care of their cap problems if they can move Zaitsev + Kapanen for a guy like David Savard saves another 4m
The only way the Leafs get Savard is if the Jackets get Kadri. (Or someone even better than him, although that's unlikely.) We are not trading Savard unless it's absolutely necessary to get the top-6 C we want, and possibly not even then; anything less than that is frankly insulting.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
The only way the Leafs get Savard is if the Jackets get Kadri. (Or someone even better than him, although that's unlikely.) We are not trading Savard unless it's absolutely necessary to get the top-6 C we want, and possibly not even then; anything less than that is frankly insulting.

Kadri + Johnsson/Kapanen for Savard + Jenner has been floated around quite a bit on the leafs board. What are your thoughts?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Did he just do one big interview to try and improve leverage in negotiations or something?
I have been trying to find any interview. The only thing I could trade it to was a series of tweets by Chris Johnson from sportsnet and other 'insiders' retweeting or sending their own tweet with the same info. I can't imagine that it improves any leverage. However, it does quote Dubas so it gives clarification to the wild speculation going on.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I have been trying to find any interview. The only thing I could trade it to was a series of tweets by Chris Johnson from sportsnet and other 'insiders' retweeting or sending their own tweet with the same info. I can't imagine that it improves any leverage. However, it does quote Dubas so it gives clarification to the wild speculation going on.

If keeping Marleau isn’t an option and Dubas needs to buy him out by July 1st, other GMs will know that and will use that fact as leverage in order to pressure Dubas to pay more to get rid of Marleau. This quote from Dubas, if we’re to believe it’s true, is trying to take that leverage away from other GMs.

He’s put out a few other quotes that are similar in terms of trying to gain leverage. For example, saying they might not match a Marner OS. If he said they would match any offer sheet (as some GMs have in the past), that gives leverage to Marner’s camp because they know they can just ask for whatever another team will put on an offer sheet. There are also the Kadri comments.

It’s a stark contrast from previous comments he made in which he clearly gave away leverage. For example, he called the Marner signing “imperative” before July 1st, which gave a lot of leverage away to Marner’s camp.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
If keeping Marleau isn’t an option and Dubas needs to buy him out by July 1st, other GMs will know that and will use that fact as leverage in order to pressure Dubas to pay more to get rid of Marleau. This quote from Dubas, if we’re to believe it’s true, is trying to take that leverage away from other GMs.

He’s put out a few other quotes that are similar in terms of trying to gain leverage. For example, saying they might not match a Marner OS. If he said they would match any offer sheet (as some GMs have in the past), that gives leverage to Marner’s camp because they know they can just ask for whatever another team will put on an offer sheet. There are also the Kadri comments.

It’s a stark contrast from previous comments he made in which he clearly gave away leverage. For example, he called the Marner signing “imperative” before July 1st, which gave a lot of leverage away to Marner’s camp.
Keeping Marleau is clearly an option. Buying out Marleau Dave's zero cap unless another team does it. Quotes are just that- I doubt professionals would he moved by any quotes. There was always a number that wouldn't or couldn't be matched. What is now public was more than likely already said privately. And what did he say anyway? Players on a team now would probably continue to be players on a team. And that if you offer enough you can have our players. This is more for media consumption than anything else. We are always the last to know.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

Out of interest: I found the video

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Leafs get: Pesce

Canes get: Nylander + rights to Kapanen + Marleau contract.

Leafs get their most coveted RHD and get to wash their hands of Marleau, clearing a ton of cap space ($13 million plus) in the process. Canes get needed top 9 forwards, and can afford to buy out Marleau or trade him to SJ for peanuts w/salary retained.

Canes could add a forward or defense prospect to Pesce as well (probably not Gauthier, Necas or Bean. But Sellgren, Roy, Geekie or Kuokkanen would be a very nice sweetener)

Last edited:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He's well spoken. Smart guy. He just talks a little bit too much and they threw him into this role a little too early without enough training IMO.
What never ceases to amaze me is how far out of context the tweets had been. I mean all of the Chris Johnson and the retweets or same tweets are completely misleading.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Leafs get: Pesce

Canes get: Nylander + rights to Kapanen + Marleau contract.

Leafs get their most coveted RHD and get to wash their hands of Marleau, clearing a ton of cap space ($13 million plus) in the process. Canes get needed top 9 forwards, and can afford to buy out Marleau or trade him to SJ for peanuts w/salary retained.

Canes could add a forward or defense prospect to Pesce as well (probably not Gauthier, Necas or Bean. But Sellgren, Roy, Geekie or Kuokkanen would be a very nice sweetener)
That is way in favor of Carolina! Less of a chance doing that than the Brown and Kapanen one.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
That is way in favor of Carolina! Less of a chance doing that than the Brown and Kapanen one.

The more I look at it, the more even it gets.

You come out of the deal with a net gain of 9 million in cap space, a young, cost-effective shutdown defender and a really good prospect (or pick, if you prefer). We come out of the deal with a legit top 6 scoring winger and a good utility scorer and PKer.

If Pesce for Nylander is a relatively even swap (and most people here would probably admit it is, giving Nylander the edge as a player but Pesce the edge as an asset) then you're trading Kapanen for $6 million cap space and a legitimately good prospect. That's a great deal for your side, and you still have JT/Marner/Matthews/Johnsson/Kadri and cap space to buy another top 6 forward or sock away for extending a young player that you can't afford at the moment.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad