Dreger: Leafs asking prices for Kapanen and Kadri

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You straight up said that Marner was the priority the summer before Tavares signed. The SUMMER BEFORE would be 2017.

Here, I'll help you out:

Marner should have been the priority last summer before Tavares signed.

You're welcome.
And it is still a mistake by Dubas anyway you want to parse it.

A good GM would have signed Matthews and Marner first.
Make sure they are locked into team friendly deals.

Then see if Tavares was signable with how much cap was left.

Then make a decision on Nylander.

It was a faulty sequence young Dubas learned here. Let's hope he does not make similar mistakes going fwd for the Leafs sake.

Reactions: theblackadder

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
It's not Dubas' fault that Marner bet on himself and refused to talk extension until he played out his ELC. There was absolutely nothing he could do to force Marner to sign earlier than he wanted to. Well, nothing besides offering him $11M a year ago but that would have been insanity at the time.

Stop pushing this narrative that Dubas screwed up with Marner. He obviously would have signed him a year ago if the player was open to it. He wasn't so case closed.[/QUOTE

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
And it is still a mistake by Dubas anyway you want to parse it.

Then see if Tavares was signable with how much cap was left.

Then make a decision on Nylander.

It was a faulty sequence young Dubas learned here. Let's hope he does not make similar mistakes going fwd for the Leafs sake.
How can he sign them before tavares when they couldn't have started negotiating a contract till last July? If they waited to sign the rfas, they wouldn't have signed tavares

Reactions: Rob Brown

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017

Since my post probably gets buried at the bottom of the last page I'll repeat it here:

Marner. Refused. To. Talk. Extension. Until. His. ELC. Was. Played. Out.

Dubas couldn't sign a player who DIDN'T WANT TO BE SIGNED. Marner had every right to bet on himself and set himself up for a better contract by playing out year three first. He made the bet and it payed off big.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
I believe marner was open to signing last summer, and informed the team that he would not be open to negotiations once camp began. Did they think he’d have a down year in the final year of his elc? If I am remembering incorrectly, I apologize.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
I believe marner was open to signing last summer, and informed the team that he would not be open to negotiations once camp began. Did they think he’d have a down year in the final year of his elc? If I am remembering incorrectly, I apologize.
I'm pretty sure that's how it went.

Once training camp started, Marner said "let's talk after the season"

Reactions: Go4soda

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
How can he sign them before tavares when they couldn't have started negotiating a contract till last July? If they waited to sign the rfas, they wouldn't have signed tavares

This we do know. Dubas apparently made a pitch to the Tavares camp on how he was going to keep the core together. Perhaps that was a bit naive or for someone to believe he could. What we do know and I said this at the time. The Tavares contract would present challenges for the Leafs resigning all their players. If I could see this, even Burke said it I recall at the time. Dubas should have.

Correct sequence should have been Matthews/Marner, Tavares(if he is a luxury they could afford, Leafs have other more glaring holes), Nylander, Kapanen/Johnsson and we haven't even touched on Gardiner or Hainsey. You need D right? You do not need much foresight to see their would be a cap crunch this summer.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Dubas was hired May 11, 2018 as GM giving him plenty of time to make Marner and Matthews priority 1A and 1B. You need me to tell you the correct date? Here we are, still working on in Dubas' own words on priority 1. Fumbled the Leafs cap situation by not getting it done last summer. Even Mark Hunter knew this.
I have never seen someone so concerned with the leafs who clearly doesn’t like them.

Reactions: Rob Brown

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Can we just talk about Kapanen and Kadri again?
Sure. I think the Leafs wanting to deal Kapanen tells us they are very scared of an offer sheet they cannot match.

As for Kadri, I think they are at their wits ends with him and his lack of self control on the ice. He should not cost much, given his down year and unreliability in the playoffs.

So you certainly have 2 assets at reduced prices here. GM's know this around the league. Especially as it would help the Leafs cap wise too. Though Kadri is signed to a nice deal thanks to Lamoriello. Seems funny the Leafs would want to trade one of their better value contracts. Which makes dealing kadri a no win situation.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Sure. I think the Leafs wanting to deal Kapanen tells us they are very scared of an offer sheet they cannot match.

As for Kadri, I think they are at their wits ends with him and his lack of self control on the ice. He should not cost much, given his down year and unreliability in the playoffs.

So you certainly have 2 assets at reduced prices here. GM's know this around the league.

Kadri is that interesting player that will get more than most think he's worth.

Plays a gritty game and can score goals, but the fanbase and most likely the office has soured on him

Last player I remember in this kind of situation was Jason Arnott.

Great player, had some good years in Edmonton, but they had to move him as pretty much everyone turned on him. With this being said, Kadri is nowhere close to the level of player that Arnott was, but it's kind of the same situation IIRC.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's not Dubas' fault that Marner bet on himself and refused to talk extension until he played out his ELC. There was absolutely nothing he could do to force Marner to sign earlier than he wanted to. Well, nothing besides offering him $11M a year ago but that would have been insanity at the time.

Stop pushing this narrative that Dubas screwed up with Marner. He obviously would have signed him a year ago if the player was open to it. He wasn't so case closed.
Except none of this is true. Marner's camp DID want to sign last summer and long term...for reportedly 9 million. Leafs said no. So Marner's camp said they will play out the yea and see how things go....and here we are.

$72M was discussion point prior to season for Marner, Maple Leafs - Sportsnet.ca

Now for Dubas, that would have been a big risk...signing a 69 point guy to that. But it is looking like it would have been the right move now.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kadri is that interesting player that will get more than most think he's worth.

Plays a gritty game and can score goals, but the fanbase and most likely the office has soured on him

Last player I remember in this kind of situation was Jason Arnott.

Great player, had some good years in Edmonton, but they had to move him as pretty much everyone turned on him. With this being said, Kadri is nowhere close to the level of player that Arnott was, but it's kind of the same situation IIRC.

If we can be sure he will not be suspended, then his value is good if he can bounce back from a subpar offensive year. But playing on the edge is what makes him valuable. So you do not want to neuter his game too much. But if he plays on the line, he is a tough player to trust. I do think his contract adds to his value. It's one of the Leafs better contracts. It's funny they want to deal one of their better contracts given the cap state they are in.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Since my post probably gets buried at the bottom of the last page I'll repeat it here:

Marner. Refused. To. Talk. Extension. Until. His. ELC. Was. Played. Out.

Dubas couldn't sign a player who DIDN'T WANT TO BE SIGNED. Marner had every right to bet on himself and set himself up for a better contract by playing out year three first. He made the bet and it payed off big.
Lay off the caps lock and learn the facts. Some nobody named bob Mackenzie was on 1050 talking about how the leafs mgmnt elected not to sign marner last summer when they HAD THE CHANCE.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Except none of this is true. Marner's camp DID want to sign last summer and long term...for reportedly 9 million. Leafs said no. So Marner's camp said they will play out the yea and see how things go....and here we are.

$72M was discussion point prior to season for Marner, Maple Leafs - Sportsnet.ca

Now for Dubas, that would have been a big risk...signing a 69 point guy to that. But it is looking like it would have been the right move now.

TBF this board would have imploded in indignant mockery if Dubas had agreed to that.

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
they match anything 4.227 and under, will take a 1st and 3rd to pry him away
Okay so they match that offer and they’re now down to what 4m cap space trying to sign an 11m+ contract with 4m hmm makes sense

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
TBF this board would have imploded in indignant mockery if Dubas had agreed to that.
I agree. But then right now it would be Maple Leafs fans having the last laugh.

But reality is, Dubas:

Signed JT to the highest UFA contract at the time he signed
Signed Matthews to the 2nd highest RFA contract at the time he signed

And Marner just out scored them both. So of course Marner's camp is saying, "pay me too".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad