Dreger: Leafs asking prices for Kapanen and Kadri

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Leafs get: Pesce

Canes get: Nylander + rights to Kapanen + Marleau contract.

Leafs get their most coveted RHD and get to wash their hands of Marleau, clearing a ton of cap space ($13 million plus) in the process. Canes get needed top 9 forwards, and can afford to buy out Marleau or trade him to SJ for peanuts w/salary retained.

Canes could add a forward or defense prospect to Pesce as well (probably not Gauthier, Necas or Bean. But Sellgren, Roy, Geekie or Kuokkanen would be a very nice sweetener)
That's good value. The only reason I'd be opposed to a trade like this is because Nylander's value is probably the lowest it will ever be

Feb 24, 2017
That's good value. The only reason I'd be opposed to a trade like this is because Nylander's value is probably the lowest it will ever be
This deal works I think.

Canes could get about 110 points for about 11 million for those two.

Leafs get a great contract and play guy.

One year of eating Marleau cap to make up the difference between a good D and two top 6 wingers.

I can see this.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Sure. I think the Leafs wanting to deal Kapanen tells us they are very scared of an offer sheet they cannot match.

As for Kadri, I think they are at their wits ends with him and his lack of self control on the ice. He should not cost much, given his down year and unreliability in the playoffs.

So you certainly have 2 assets at reduced prices here. GM's know this around the league. Especially as it would help the Leafs cap wise too. Though Kadri is signed to a nice deal thanks to Lamoriello. Seems funny the Leafs would want to trade one of their better value contracts. Which makes dealing kadri a no win situation.

At this point I would think Dubas would welcome a ludicrous OS.
It gets him off the hook with Marner, plus four first round picks and some cap space and Marner becomes a greedy persona non grata.
Problem solved...maybe this is his plan.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Leafs need to clear money. If they can't clear the bad contracts (Marleau, Zaitsev) then they have to be prepared to move the good contracts. Marner demanding to be paid like a franchise centre doesn't help.
Then move Marner. What about Marner to Carolina for Pesce, Ferland and Svenchenko (forgive my spelling). I think Ferland may be a free agent

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
And it is still a mistake by Dubas anyway you want to parse it.

A good GM would have signed Matthews and Marner first.
Make sure they are locked into team friendly deals.

Then see if Tavares was signable with how much cap was left.

Then make a decision on Nylander.

It was a faulty sequence young Dubas learned here. Let's hope he does not make similar mistakes going fwd for the Leafs sake.

Poor Dubas signing Tavares, who exceeded expectations.

And like signing Matthews and Marner before signing Tavares was some kind of simple option on Dubas' plate. Glad you think so highly of these Leafs players though.

Reactions: BM14 and Rob Brown

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Sure. I think the Leafs wanting to deal Kapanen tells us they are very scared of an offer sheet they cannot match.

As for Kadri, I think they are at their wits ends with him and his lack of self control on the ice. He should not cost much, given his down year and unreliability in the playoffs.

So you certainly have 2 assets at reduced prices here. GM's know this around the league. Especially as it would help the Leafs cap wise too. Though Kadri is signed to a nice deal thanks to Lamoriello. Seems funny the Leafs would want to trade one of their better value contracts. Which makes dealing kadri a no win situation.
or they just might want to use Kapanen to upgrade another position like defence. just because hes an RFA doesnt mean he will get an offersheet. i mean really. how many RFA's are there every summer that get offer sheeted?

Kadri has more value than you want to believe. a 2C on a great contract.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Risto, Sabres Nylander, McCabe, 31st, and Rodrigues for Kapanen, Kadri and Marleau (for purposes of buyout with him in signing in San Jose.)

-please keep in mind that Marleau is favour of Leafs because they are out of contract. That’s a equivalent to 2nd rounder or very good prospect going their way.

How will I be torn to shreads ?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Kadri + Johnsson/Kapanen for Savard + Jenner has been floated around quite a bit on the leafs board. What are your thoughts?
We don't want to trade Jenner. Truthfully, we don't want to trade Savard, either, but it's one of those "you have to give to get" situations, and we really badly want another top-6 center. Kadri's enough of a need that we'll give up one "don't wanna" player, but not two - and we don't have that big of a need for Johnsson/Kapanen.

In short: Savard for Kadri works for us, but nearly anything above and beyond that has not worked. Keep it simple. :nod:

DaddyO

Apr 22, 2015
Risto, Sabres Nylander, McCabe, 31st, and Rodrigues for Kapanen, Kadri and Marleau (for purposes of buyout with him in signing in San Jose.)

-please keep in mind that Marleau is favour of Leafs because they are out of contract. That’s a equivalent to 2nd rounder or very good prospect going their way.

You won't my friend, well maybe by sabres fans but as a leafs fan I'd do that. Risto is kinda Gardiner 2.0 with more size but we're used to having liabilities on defense,E rod replaces kadri and McCabe is an upgrade on defense, along with some futures and getting rid of Marleau contract, sign me up.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Poor Dubas signing Tavares, who exceeded expectations.

And like signing Matthews and Marner before signing Tavares was some kind of simple option on Dubas' plate. Glad you think so highly of these Leafs players though.
Tavares went from 84 to 88 pts last season. Yeah, he exceeded expectations by 4 pts. But At 11M per and the 2nd highest paid player in the NHL last year. Exceeded expectations is debatable. More like met expectations. Still this is a team game, and until the Leafs start winning playoff rds. His signing cannot be considered a win.

Reactions: Mcwinner

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

I’d say you are overpaying:
Package of Kadri+Marleau=future considerations
Risto=Kapanen

You are overpaying by 31st, Rodrigues, Nylander and McCabe. Cheap pieces we need to replace Ristolainen while staying under the cap.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
We don't want to trade Jenner. Truthfully, we don't want to trade Savard, either, but it's one of those "you have to give to get" situations, and we really badly want another top-6 center. Kadri's enough of a need that we'll give up one "don't wanna" player, but not two - and we don't have that big of a need for Johnsson/Kapanen.

In short: Savard for Kadri works for us, but nearly anything above and beyond that has not worked. Keep it simple. :nod:

I'd make that deal ...i like Savard, and think he's one of the more under the radar players because of the players above him

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Dreger: "Would need a D back in a Kapanen trade and a centre back for Kadri."

Why not picks back instead....or a C for Kapanen and a D for Kadri? Saying what you want for each player without any other options=too much beer for you.

rafterman

Dec 1, 2010
Flyover country
Dreger: "Would need a D back in a Kapanen trade and a centre back for Kadri."

Why not picks back instead....or a C for Kapanen and a D for Kadri? Saying what you want for each player without any other options=too much beer for you.
Kadri and Kapanen for Brodin and Erikkson Ek

Leafs get a solid smooth skating D that can play either side and a young C that after Koivu went down showed he could handle big defensive assignments (other than one night Barkov when handed him his *ss) that still has upside.

Wild get a young RW and 2C with grit that can also score. Zucker can be then be dealt for futures (or D). (Spurgeon would have to be extended in order for the Wild to be able to deal Brodin).

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Kadri and Kapanen for Brodin and Erikkson Ek

Leafs get a solid smooth skating D that can play either side and a young C that after Koivu went down showed he could handle big defensive assignments (other than one night Barkov when handed him his *ss) that still has upside.

Wild get a young RW and 2C with grit that can also score. Zucker can be then be dealt for futures (or D). (Spurgeon would have to be extended in order for the Wild to be able to deal Brodin).

Brodin is LD. I dont think that would work for leafs.

what about spurgeon, zucker and staal for kadri, kapanen and zaitsev. (can balance with picks/prospects)

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Leafs get: Pesce

Canes get: Nylander + rights to Kapanen + Marleau contract.

Leafs get their most coveted RHD and get to wash their hands of Marleau, clearing a ton of cap space ($13 million plus) in the process. Canes get needed top 9 forwards, and can afford to buy out Marleau or trade him to SJ for peanuts w/salary retained.

Canes could add a forward or defense prospect to Pesce as well (probably not Gauthier, Necas or Bean. But Sellgren, Roy, Geekie or Kuokkanen would be a very nice sweetener)
very unpalatable. Rather eat Marleau's $$ than loose Nylander.
This is a vast overpayment IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad