Post-Game Talk: Leafs are winless in 11. New Franchise Record. My Goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
One has to assume the tank is on.

The coach may have been brought in to clip the guys wing ,demoralize them and get the tank started. The trading of Phaneuff should finish this team off nicely. We need a top pick, our prospect depth is bad outside Nylander. We also threw away so many picks(Ross,Ryan,Blacker etc.) and assets i.e Kulemin,MacA,Grabo there is virtually no way to recover and we don't have a 2nd rounder as we traded him for a backup to L.A. Looking back at how some of our guys turned out Hayes,Stralman,Steen etc. plus the loss of Seguin and Hamilton the Burke gang has done a great job of subtly destroying this team and Im not convinced we are any better than when we started.

How do some people even get jobs in the NHL?

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
is there going to be an asterisk beside this new franchise record of 11 straight losses? One of the losses was a shoot out loss to New Jersey and in the 100 years of this franchise ot and so losses didn't exist, so that "loss" in most years would be a tie.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
is there going to be an asterisk beside this new franchise record of 11 straight losses? One of the losses was a shoot out loss to New Jersey and in the 100 years of this franchise ot and so losses didn't exist, so that "loss" in most years would be a tie.
Asterisk or not I'm enjoyiing every minute of it. What about only time making the playoffs of late was because of a 48 game schedule? It should get one too then.;)

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Asterisk or not I'm enjoyiing every minute of it. What about only time making the playoffs of late was because of a 48 game schedule? It should get one too then.;)

Yup. If that year was an 82-game season we wouldn't have been in the playoffs. You could already tell around the last 10 games or so the team was already starting to fade out. Then taking Boston to 7 games was enough to convince Nonis that we're only a Bolland and Clarkson away from being a cup contender :biglaugh:

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
There is a perception that we're playing the right way because we are asking our players to backcheck more while they fire low percentage perimeter shots at the net trying to win the shot on net battle.

Taking away Leafs high quality rush scoring chances by not letting offensive players play to their strength (speed and offense) has not surprisingly reduced the goals for total from the highest in the league to the lowest. During Leafs 11 game losing streak they were shutout 4 times, 5 X 1 goal & only 2 X 3 goals (or 5 goals for in 9 of those losses) & 11 goals in 11 games. Is the strategy to win every game 1-0?

We have predominantly perimeter players as a player personnel composition so they don't go the dirty areas and take hits to make plays getting to the high scoring areas to do so.. So having more puck possession really serves no useful purpose skating around the perimeter but reduce boxscore losses by the other team scoring less now by having the puck less.

Who really cares if they have reduced their shots against from 34 down to 28 on average if it sucks the life out of the team and turns strengths into weaknesses in the process.

I think its part of the learning process, there's bound to be growing pains and its not going to be pretty. I think we can safely say this season is a wash so why not learn a new system where it'll, perhaps, pay dividends in the future? As far as them being a rush team, one of things that has puzzled me about this group is, why with their speed, that they don't have a good counter attack game? They've squandered leads in games where they haven't been able to force other teams into making mistakes that have given them odd man rushes that could ice some of these games. Instead they've done stupid things like take chances with bad cross ice passes or pinches giving up odd man rushes the other way. It really does show a general lack of patience or even maturity on the part of the players that they don't know how to play a patient game where they will get their chances it just doesn't always have to be of the high risk variety.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

yeah I've heard that one too, but REALLY that game WAS a tie after regulation, it's NOT a "real" loss. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this because it is a fact and I don't know if this is a real true record.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
anyone else starting to get worried that they'll make a bunch of dump trades at the deadline, and then bring up youngsters that actually care and that will push them back up into drafting 8th to 10th?

am I the only one that wants no deadline deals and for this team to struggle like this for the remainder of the year?

leafs are technically in 5th draft position. Columbus is only 1 point behind with 3 games in hand, Carolina and Arizona can potentially almost catch up to Toronto with games on hand (move both up to 47 points versus Toronto's 48 points) .. in a few more games we could be sitting with the 3rd position draft pick. In one of the best draft years ever?

I'm all for .. don't spoil a good thing and for the love of God.. don't change a soul on this team. heck if they lose to Edmonton, even they are within striking distance of overtaking the leafs.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Carolina and Arizona have a much tougher schedule next week than we do, but that really doesn't matter as the Leafs will probably continue the streak anyway.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
anyone else starting to get worried that they'll make a bunch of dump trades at the deadline, and then bring up youngsters that actually care and that will push them back up into drafting 8th to 10th?

am I the only one that wants no deadline deals and for this team to struggle like this for the remainder of the year?

leafs are technically in 5th draft position. Columbus is only 1 point behind with 3 games in hand, Carolina and Arizona can potentially almost catch up to Toronto with games on hand (move both up to 47 points versus Toronto's 48 points) .. in a few more games we could be sitting with the 3rd position draft pick. In one of the best draft years ever?

I'm all for .. don't spoil a good thing and for the love of God.. don't change a soul on this team

Nah, I'm pretty confident that this organization will somehow manage to **** things up, in fact, I'll be surprised if they don't.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Carolina and Arizona have a much tougher schedule next week than we do, but that really doesn't matter as the Leafs will probably continue the streak anyway.

Carolina has actually been playing well of late, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pass us soon, Arizona...I have a hard time seeing us overtake them

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
yeah I've heard that one too, but REALLY that game WAS a tie after regulation, it's NOT a "real" loss. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this because it is a fact and I don't know if this is a real true record.

Who cares how you spin it? It's not good either way. This is still a record for most losses in a row for Toronto since the SO was introduced.

BurnsBlue

Jun 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Our record of late despite the draft implications is still saddening. Its starting to look like 1984 around here again, winning 3 of 20 something. Fun fact tho, the next year, Leafs drafted Wendell Clark 1st overall. :naughty:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Who cares how you spin it? It's not good either way. This is still a record for most losses in a row for Toronto since the SO was introduced.

Ok, but the 1967 10 in a row is worse because all those losses were in regulation. Even though this year the Leafs haven't won in 11 games, they have only lost 8 in a row in regulation, so 1967's losing streak still stands as the record, or at least it should.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Ok, but the 1967 10 in a row is worse because all those losses were in regulation. Even though this year the Leafs haven't won in 11 games, they have only lost 8 in a row in regulation, so 1967's losing streak still stands as the record, or at least it should.
It doesn't sound so bad when you put it that way.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad