Post-Game Talk: Leafs are winless in 11. New Franchise Record. My Goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I just watched the game in 6.

Franson......:biglaugh: and people are cool with 5mil :facepalm:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I want them to call up every tough guy on the Marlies and just spend the rest of the season trying to bully other teams. It would certainly be more entertaining than what's happening now while providing the same results.

I hated the idea at the beginning of the season when there was some hope for a better season and assets to protect. The Leafs shouldn't have them on the team going forward.

But, I want a rebuild obviously and the top of this draft class is on another level this year. The goons down on the Marlies suck so much that they just may guarantee McDavid/Eichel/Hanifin if inserted the rest of the way.

I'm willing to put them in to ensure the Leafs lose every game the rest of the way. They will also break up the game a bit, with some entertainment, instead of the usual 60 minutes of getting their ***** kicked at hockey.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Watching the game in 6 for some reason, none of this matters in the least but the only 2 plays that stood out at first view from all the carnage:
What the hell was Mo doing on Bernier's goal, come on son, don't skate by the guy, move him out.
Watching Booth handle a 3-on-2 at around the 2:54 mark, should be framed and sent to hockey schools everywhere, got the trailing man (Bozak) wide open coming down the slot and he takes a harmless angle shot. Back to the 4th line, you plug.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So yeah...the only players on this team who give a damn (Franson, Reimer, Winnik, Santa) are all going to be gone in the next few weeks

That is one of the most fascinating things really, in that the players due to contract status are the ones being shopped, yet they appear to be the ones that care the most now about the Leafs.

Based on performance and effort those should be the ones kept and the remaining players (with a few exceptions like Rielly) the ones considered to be traded instead.

Is playing and showcasing themselves for their next contracts and next teams playing a part in players like Santo, Winnik and Franson's performance?

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
yea baby. tank nation rules. :yo:

thank you reimer.

I usually defend Reimer, but that game the Leafs out shot (almost doubled), outplayed NJ, but there were 2 soft goals, the empty net goal wasn't really his fault, that was the forwards not keeping out of their end.

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
This team goes to eleven. When you need that something extra that losing streaks of ten just aren't enough, this team goes to eleven. Don't touch them, this team can never be played. Don't even look at them...

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I don't know what is wrong with me, but I am starting to feel sorry for the players. If I were them, I wouldn't mind being traded to a playoff team right about now.

Why would you feel sorry for the players? They are what they are.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
this team a zero heart. They made history by being so bad. Not saying a fight is the answer but at it would at least you show a little bit of emotion. But not even that. The lack of heart, character is obnoxiously obvious.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Same here. It would be much harder to celebrate this if this wasn't such a lazy,arrogant, self-entitled group of easy to dislike players.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. I can't remember ever disliking a leaf team as much as I do this one. There's a few players I like, but that's only because they're heart and soul guys but the rest, couldn't care less.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
not that many most were perimeter shots, the devils had the better quality scoring chances even though they only had 17 shots.

They are just shooting from harmless spots, they are not willing to work hard enough to get into the tough areas and score some greasy goals. The players are just being exposed for what they are. This is not a "scoring slump". I am sure that "scoring slumps" last for weeks and weeks :rolleyes:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
not that many most were perimeter shots, the devils had the better quality scoring chances even though they only had 17 shots.

At one point during the game Mike Johnson said that despite the Leafs outshooting the Devils by a 2 X 1 ratio the actually high quality scoring chances favoured NJ 7-2 (or by 3 X 1 ratio).

It would be hard to find even 1/2 dozen quality scoring chances among Leafs 33 shots on net where Schneider robbed them. In fact Leafs goal came from a poor bad angle perimeter shot by Kessel that went off the post and everyone stopped playing.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
At one point during the game Mike Johnson said that despite the Leafs outshooting the Devils by a 2 X 1 ratio the actually high quality scoring chances favoured NJ 7-2 (or by 3 X 1 ratio).

It would be hard to find even 1/2 dozen quality scoring chances among Leafs 33 shots on net where Schneider robbed them. In fact Leafs goal came from a poor bad angle perimeter shot by Kessel that went off the post and everyone stopped playing.

I think that's because no one on this team , maybe except for Lupul, goes to the slot. I constantly see players skate by the net , go around the net, but never do I see guys with any regularity actually stop and stay in the prime scoring areas.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
I think that's because no one on this team , maybe except for Lupul, goes to the slot. I constantly see players skate by the net , go around the net, but never do I see guys with any regularity actually stop and stay in the prime scoring areas.

Kadri will go to the front of the net as well, though he hasn't been doing it lately.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
What's bizarre is that we've just played through probably the easiest stretch of the season.

6 of out last 11 games were against bottom 10 teams.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

There is a perception that we're playing the right way because we are asking our players to backcheck more while they fire low percentage perimeter shots at the net trying to win the shot on net battle.

Taking away Leafs high quality rush scoring chances by not letting offensive players play to their strength (speed and offense) has not surprisingly reduced the goals for total from the highest in the league to the lowest. During Leafs 11 game losing streak they were shutout 4 times, 5 X 1 goal & only 2 X 3 goals (or 5 goals for in 9 of those losses) & 11 goals in 11 games. Is the strategy to win every game 1-0?

We have predominantly perimeter players as a player personnel composition so they don't go the dirty areas and take hits to make plays getting to the high scoring areas to do so.. So having more puck possession really serves no useful purpose skating around the perimeter but reduce boxscore losses by the other team scoring less now by having the puck less.

Who really cares if they have reduced their shots against from 34 down to 28 on average if it sucks the life out of the team and turns strengths into weaknesses in the process.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Yea, the Leafs outshot them 2:1 but how many of those shots were really dangerous?

there have been many games early this season where they were out shot 2:1, but half the shots were weak shots, I didn't hear anyone mention that when they won games after being out shot 40-21. Everyone said they were lucky to win that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad