Sportsnet: Leafs are Shopping Phaneuf - MOD WARNING #394

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Why the hell would anyone want a player who has internal problems and has threatened to leave for Russia already.

Not to mention, we do not need Yakupov on this team. It in no way, shape or form makes us a better or harder team to play against... I
Don't get it.

Target someone who isn't a whiner.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Could work....

Mirtle nailed it. Dion isn't bad but he is not a shutdown defenceman and should not get 25+ minutes of ice time, including PK's. The problem with the Leafs is that they are a team full of offensive minded defenceman who are shaky in the defensive zone. The Leafs need to bring balance to the D core and add stable lunch pail guys who are sound in the defensive zone. If trading Phaneuf achieves this balance, than it's a trade worth making.

dion is better than he is given credit for ......all the abuse he takes here is brutal
hes a heart and soul guy ,,,the guy is fitness freak,maybe he is a captain,but ill tell this,
before people go bashing dion ,i can just bet some team will bring him in and the leafs will miss his presence on the ice
kessel is gonna find out quick ,hes gonna be the poster boy of the leafs ,and maybe he ll take his game to the next level
id say most gm's would have dion as no 2 defenseman ,reliable ,in shape and big time ice eater if need be
the very defenseman that minnesota ,pittsburgh ,tampa florida san jose ,and los angeles could use or have used this year
chill out ,myrtle spews alot crap ,,,,,,,

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Why the hell would anyone want a player who has internal problems and has threatened to leave for Russia already.

Not to mention, we do not need Yakupov on this team. It in no way, shape or form makes us a better or harder team to play against... I
Don't get it.

I'd rather have Yakupov over the top 3 pick stand-a-lone. For one, Bennet and Reinhart don't scream elite to me. I see a forward in line with Krejci. He's good to have, but I can see Kadri developing into such a forward considering that his D game was positive during his pre-draft. Yak is probably going to have that 80-point upside and it's not like he isn't a hard worker either.

I would probably be more excited if they had Jordan Staal/ Patrice Bergeron two-way upside, but we need to temper our expectations. Kadri was selected #7 in a much more deeper/ skilled draft. There's no Tavares, OEL, Hedman, Duchene, E. Kane in this draft and none of these players are generational talents. In fact, I'd argue that Kessel may have higher offensive upside than Tavares considering that he was on a 90-point pace with Bozak/ JVR who are far less skilled than Okposo/ Vanek.

We're better off building around Kessel, grabbing another mid/low first rounder or two and grab a two-way stud/ leader in Conner Bleackley. You keep Phaneuf unless you can get someone like Jordan Staal. From there, we'd have to trade for someone like Ladislav Smid. I can't see him replacing Phaneuf's all-round presence, but Marc Staal is available after next season. Move Gunnarsson for futures and you have a D core that can contend.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If only we could trade these guys in the age class of Lupul Dion Gleason to teams for 2-3 year 35+ salary dump contracts but at the same time get back optimum draft picks and prospect.

I would gladly take 3 or so savvy vets to secure picks in upcoming drafts and I'm not sure more teams that are retooling don't do it.

Tyler Biggs*

Kessel doesn't even need Eric Staal. You get him someone like Jordan Staal or even Sean Couturier, and he'd look a lot better. What we need to start understanding is that Bozak is not a defensive pivot. He's barely above average in his own zone and doesn't play a consistent enough game to be centring JVR/ Kessel. Give either of the centres I mentioned those two wingers, and you will see greater than 50-point production out of either of them.

Dion played fine under a shut down role. Simply put, you don't post a GA On/ 60 better than Shea Weber if you're hopeless. What he needs is stronger partner and two-way capable forwards up front.

If we kept Phaneuf, this is a roster that I think would look competitive:

JVR - J Staal - Kessel
LW - Holland - Clarkson
Komarov - Legwand - Ashton
D'Amigo - Carrick - Bodie

Gormley - Phaneuf
Gunnarsson - Rielly
Ranger - Granberg
MacWilliam?

Bernier

Kadri+ for Gormley

Gardiner+ for someone like Baertschi?

Legwand, by the way, is not washed out. He is steady defensively and can still produce 40-odd points.

PS: Move Phaneuf and we'd have to hope that Gormley can enhance his game immensely. In that case, Phaneuf for Yakupov+ could give us a secondary scoring line with Holland, Clarkson would enable him to play his game.

I agree with that, and have stated it many times already in this thread. He's also played some great games against Crosby, and he matches up against all of the other top lines in the league. He's fine as a Dman. Just get some support.

Durkin67

Yup, how about;

:leafs
E. Malkin

:pens
D. Phaneuf
T. Bozak
N. Kulimen (Rights)

:yo: Malkin with Kessel would be amazing to watch.

Cant imagine PITT ever considering a deal with TOR for Malkin that includes Bozak but not Kessel. And flipping his friend Kulemin at the same time really doesnt make a lot of sense either. No disrespect but that isnt a deal I can see coming together any time soon.

Oct 19, 2007
Bottom line..Leafs are not going to get that 3rd pick from Edmonton for Phaneuf unless it is a giant overpayment by the Leafs,, The likely trade with Edmonton would be for Sam Gagner with the Leafs retaining about a million of the salary. ,If the Leafs were to include Reimer, the Leafs may get a 3rd rounder in the package also.. In order for the Leafs to get that 3rd pick ( which they will not) It would have to Be Phaneuf + Gardiner + top prospect + Leafs 8th pick + Leafs retaining 2 million of the Phaneuf salary.. That or any deal that binds the Leafs to any salary retained, will be murder to the Leafs and the salary cap for the next 7 years. The last proposal would give the Leafs some immediate space but that retained salary will come back to bite the team. Forget Edmonton or any team that will want the Leafs to retain salary..

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Bottom line..Leafs are not going to get that 3rd pick from Edmonton for Phaneuf unless it is a giant overpayment by the Leafs,, The likely trade with Edmonton would be for Sam Gagner with the Leafs retaining about a million of the salary. ,If the Leafs were to include Reimer, the Leafs may get a 3rd rounder in the package also.. In order for the Leafs to get that 3rd pick ( which they will not) It would have to Be Phaneuf + Gardiner + top prospect + Leafs 8th pick + Leafs retaining 2 million of the Phaneuf salary.. That or any deal that binds the Leafs to any salary retained, will be murder to the Leafs and the salary cap for the next 7 years. The last proposal would give the Leafs some immediate space but that retained salary will come back to bite the team. Forget Edmonton or any team that will want the Leafs to retain salary..

Sweet....monkey.....ass.

Okay, first of all for that trade for the 3rd pick....there isn't a word good enough to express how much "no" I want to say to that.

Secondly, Phaneuf for Gagner makes little sense for the Leafs unless they move Kadri. Also, if they retain salary on top of that....ouch.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

I can't believe I just read that, well half. Dion is not a pylon lol

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Don't get it.

Didn't he lip off when the coaching staff said that he needed to play more defence? Wasn't it something along the lines of him refusing to change the way he plays?

If so, a guy like that is the last thing the Leafs need.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
In order for the Leafs to get that 3rd pick ( which they will not) It would have to Be Phaneuf + Gardiner + top prospect + Leafs 8th pick + Leafs retaining 2 million of the Phaneuf salary..

:shakehead

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Cant imagine PITT ever considering a deal with TOR for Malkin that includes Bozak but not Kessel. And flipping his friend Kulemin at the same time really doesnt make a lot of sense either. No disrespect but that isnt a deal I can see coming together any time soon.

I don't get it either.

If you're dealing for Malkin, Kessel is going the other way. In which case you likely retain Kulemin because a) he's good friends with Malkin and may help him adjust to TO and b) he's a solid defensive player who can put up points when given the chance (i.e. with Kessel or Malkin).

It would imagine something like:

Kessel
Bozak
+

for

Malkin
1st

edit:

Kunitz - Crosby - Neal
XXXX - Bozak - Kessel

Kulemin - Malkin - XXXX
JVR - Kadri - XXXX

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I don't get it either.

If you're dealing for Malkin, Kessel is going the other way. In which case you likely retain Kulemin because a) he's good friends with Malkin and may help him adjust to TO and b) he's a solid defensive player who can put up points when given the chance (i.e. with Kessel or Malkin).

It would imagine something like:

Kessel
Bozak
+

for

Malkin
1st

You're not getting Malkin plus anything for Kessel and Bozak.

For the Pens to do it you'd need Kessel, Bozak, 8th overall, plus another significant piece like JVR to even get close on value. And even then I don't think the Pens do it. It'd be close on pure value, but given that Kessel only makes 1.5M less than Malkin and Bozak is another 4.2M hit it hurts them on their cap, which would be one of the main reasons to move Malkin.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Didn't he lip off when the coaching staff said that he needed to play more defence? Wasn't it something along the lines of him refusing to change the way he plays?

If so, a guy like that is the last thing the Leafs need.

I would take Yak on for Dion 1:1, we also save millions in cap this way. I would even add Clarkson and Franson and take some trashy Edm cap back if they would erase 15m off our books.

To bad I am dreaming. If it happened we could make this team happen though and I would probably flip Yak for 2 1sts, top prospect to a sucky team.

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto

What planet do you live on? This whole post is horrendous.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario

Please explain how Gagner for Phaneuf with salary retained makes any sense for the Maple Leafs?

So what you are proposing is:

Edmonton
Phaneuf - $6 million x 7 years

Toronto
Gagner - $4.8 million ($5.8 million x 2 years with retention) + 1 million for another 5 years on the books.

If Toronto is going to have pay Gagner almost the same price for Phaneuf for 2 years + an additional $1 million for another five years, you better believe Edmonton is going to have to give up a lot more than just Gagner.

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
Wow the amount of garbage in this thread is amazing. Same people who are saying trade him, will be saying the team sucks next year and Nonis should be fired if he is traded.

i've got to agree with this.

I dont see anyway we trade Dion, the only change i can see made is them taking the C from Dion, but i also think he'd be okay with that as he gets too much heat.

Changes will come this summer, but i'm not so sure Dion is going to be one of them. If he is, who replaces what he does?

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

Ive never seen so much wrong in a single paragraph. It really is something.

If we're retaining money AND taking Gagner we're essentially paying Gagner $7 Million dollars. And this isn't even a guy who's guaranteed to be a second line center on the Leafs.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

LOL what in the hell did I just read? But seriously, Gardiner and the 8th alone is an overpayment IMO. Weak draft to begin with, moving up 5 spots in the top 10. If Ekblad comes off the board at 1-2 I can see EDM moving the pick for Dion + higher picks. No way they go into this season without an addition on the back end, the fans are already about to lose their **** with management.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Wow the amount of garbage in this thread is amazing. Same people who are saying trade him, will be saying the team sucks next year and Nonis should be fired if he is traded.

The team sucked this year with him and people want DN gone , if the team sucked harder next year without him we'd all be looking forward to drafting an elite prospect and a new GM .

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
The team sucked this year with him and people want DN gone , if the team sucked harder next year without him we'd all be looking forward to drafting an elite prospect and a new GM .

Except we wouldn't because we still could have top 10 offense and a top 10 goaltender.... We'd be in the same spot next year, getting ready to draft 5th-12th and the core a year older.

selltrade

Sep 20, 2005
Toronto
www.selltradememorabilia.com
i've got to agree with this.

I dont see anyway we trade Dion, the only change i can see made is them taking the C from Dion, but i also think he'd be okay with that as he gets too much heat.

Changes will come this summer, but i'm not so sure Dion is going to be one of them. If he is, who replaces what he does?
Yep, Build the D around Dion, MR and JG. The rest can be changed, perhaps Gleason is around as he has 1 year and 4 million left and can fill a 6/7 roll. Franson and Gunnar are both moveable. Depending if you want 2 or 3 new Dman you may not sign Ranger especially if you think Granberg is ready next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad