Sportsnet: Leafs are Shopping Phaneuf - MOD WARNING #394

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Per Kypreos, the Leafs are shopping Dion. This news is big enough to warrant its own thread.

The news of a possible Phaneuf trade comes on the heels of a two-year extension for head coach Randy Carlyle, the first big move made by the organization since Brendan Shanahan took over as president after another late-season collapse by the Leafs.

Phaneuf, who has been captain of the Maple Leafs since June 2010, signed a seven-year, $49 million contract extension with Toronto last December. Phaneuf’s extension doesn’t kick in until July 1 and, according to Kypreos, Shanahan may not be full on board with the Leafs current captain moving forward

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-shopping-captains-dion-phaneuf-jason-spezza/

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
itshappening.gif

Guess they at least want the C stripped off him, but that often precludes a trade.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
We knew that they had to change coaching, players, or both in the offseason.

Hard to change the identity of the team much more than trading away the captain.

Hopefully they don't get desperate and do what we did with the Muskoka Five and trade away quality players for less than their value just cause we're desperate.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Interested in what direction our management wants to go (if this is true), but if we're planning on competing next year and this is true... then we have a huge problem.

Phaneuf's taken a lot of flak, but it was our support/secondary players that sucked the majority of the year. Phaneuf has a rough last 15 games and becomes the scapegoat even though he was playing like a stud for the first 55 games of the season.

Kyle Doobas*

Well, that's one way to change the culture awfully quickly.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
i hope shanny isnt making any hockey decisions.

Hes the president, he should just be hiring everyone. Considering hes keeping everyone and doing nothing, thats all he should be doing.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
If Phaneuf is traded, then I hope he plays well in a new team. Best dman we had in a while.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
Interested in what direction our management wants to go (if this is true), but if we're planning on competing next year and this is true... then we have a huge problem.

Phaneuf's taken a lot of flak, but it was our support/secondary players that sucked the majority of the year. Phaneuf has a rough last 15 games and becomes the scapegoat even though he was playing like a stud for the first 55 games of the season.

That's exactly what I'm trying to tell most leaf fans, but most apparently have forgotten that the first 60 games or so he played amazing and he played a great all-around game.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
But yeah, I'll miss the guy. Best D-man we have had in a while and gets a lot of slack for no reason. Going to be a sad day, but its needed I think

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The playoff race is a greater test than the rest of the regular season. The pressure is turned up, the opposition plays harder and weaknesses get exposed. Phaneuf got exposed.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Thread #5 :laugh:

But yeah, I'll miss the guy. Best D-man we have had in a while and gets a lot of slack for no reason. Going to be a sad day, but its needed I think

he aint gone...not yet at least...so let's enjoy it and i'll feel weird rocking his jersey if he's gone.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
That's exactly what I'm trying to tell most leaf fans, but most apparently have forgotten that the first 60 games or so he played amazing and he played a great all-around game.

If your evaluation mirrors the true value of Phaneuf, then the return should be tremendous. Let's hope that will be the case if a trade does happen.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
The playoff race is a greater test than the rest of the regular season. The pressure is turned up, the opposition plays harder and weaknesses get exposed. Phaneuf got exposed.

Dunno what you are talking about when the playoffs were on dion did well against the bruins top line...except game 7 where everyone **** the bed.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Apparently SN says that Calgary and San Jose are the two potential spots for Phaneuf.

I'm not sure what we'd get from Calgary, but I have to assume we're going for Pavelski in a packaged deal?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Regardless of people wanting to dump on Dion for our late season collapse, The bottom line is he is still a good hockey player.

I agree with Shanny/Nonis the time to move him is now, but really to just regard this as a dumping of the trash type move is not right too.

If Dion goes to a good team, he will prove he is a very good piece to a contender. If he goes to a young team like Calgary or Edmonton then it will be interesting can he do for those teams what he could not do here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln