Confirmed with Link: Leafs Appoint Horachek and Spott As Assistant Coaches

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Things I have read about Horachek..

• Was fired by Poile in Nashville, not Trotz
  • Was bad cop to Trotz's good cop in Nashville. Demanding, motivational.
  • A Cancer survivor, he had successful prostate cancer surgery in 2010
  • Ran the Nashville PP as well (circa 2006-2010) with mixed reviews
  • PP Didn't run any better when he was taken off that duty
  • Early in career it was stated that he creates a positive environment (Erat quote) while demanding respect.
  • Also described as an easygoing player's coach. While others see him as an intense and goal-oriented person.
  • Was promoted to Nashville's Associate coach from Assistant Coach in 2011

Tyler Biggs*

Dave Farish, Randy Carlyle's best friend is gone and replaced by Steve Spott, the player friendly Marlie coach. On they same day, Shanahan talks about places for Marlies.

That has to be positive for player development and it means Carlyle is on a tight leash with Spott, his heir apparent as part of the staff. Carlyle can't endlessly play ineffective veterans anymore. Those Marlie kids are going to get a chance.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If I was Carlyle I would have stepped down and gone to FLA.

Sorta feel bad for the guy on a human to human level

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
ugh, don't like how everyone is stating that spott is going to be carlyle's future replacement. i hope to god its babcock or mclellan. hopefully shanahan will overrule nonis and keep spott as an assistant (rather than promotion to HC) next year to work with babcock or mclellan.

Zaled

GO LEAFS GO
Dec 6, 2013
ugh, don't like how everyone is stating that spott is going to be carlyle's future replacement. i hope to god its babcock or mclellan. hopefully shanahan will overrule nonis and keep spott as an assistant (rather than promotion to HC) next year to work with babcock or mclellan.

I agree. babcock is probably my favourite coach in the league right now. I would love for him to be our coach, if he wanted to come here.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Not if he stepped down.

but Florida would have for sure hired him.

in all honesty - i think i would have stepped down too. i mean. is very obvious what's going on here. No one trusts you - no one wants you but the guys that are wanted aren't available. if anything happens (ergo: we suck, and with our toughest schedule in years, there's really not a lot of give), he's probably fired earlier.

all of his favourite toys are gone (Orr, McLaren, McClement) He HAS to play a tonne of kids (in order to save his job, but by doing so, there's like a 70 percent chance we're not going to do well which could cost him his job)...

him insisting on that 2 year contract may not look so hot right about now.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

I dont get the love for Mclellan. He takes a supremely talented roster and coaches them to terrible collapses year after year.

Babcock IMO gets stays in Detroit.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I dont get the love for Mclellan. He takes a supremely talented roster and coaches them to terrible collapses year after year.

Babcock IMO gets stays in Detroit.

True! But I think people would be happy with playoff collapses for a little while :)

And agreed RC probably should have stepped down. He must want to prove himself

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
i thought blashill would get the job? since babcock is in the last year of his contract.

there's a wholllllllllle lot of ifs and or buts here.

A: Babcock could re-sign. he just doesn't want to make any decisions until the end of the season (that's what i've read).

B: just because he leaves doesn't mean he'll work in the NHL (ie: the whole U of M gig has been bandied about)

C: the McClellan love is probably due to the fact that he was Babs assistant?

D: Nothing wrong with Spott taking over if we're going younger etc. Actually nothing wrong with Spott if he doesn't. we don't know how he'll do - so while it's obvy a Babs vs. Spott debate it shouldn't be no Spott at all. i'd rather the guy who shares Shanahan's vision than "a name" quite frankly. (unless again the Name shares said Vision).

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
I'll bet that Randy Carlyle has a bounce back season and isn't let go.

We have more warrior type players now, some of our youngsters will be improving and he has better assistants to help out with winning type strategies and systems.

I think they kept him because they believed he was better than the other coaches who were available and it isn't necessarily all about courting someone else at a later date.

They feel Randy is the most qualified coach to help the team win games right now and they will keep him around if he proves to be successful doing that.

Of course we'll always be looking for ways to improve our team moving forward, so it is possible that there will be a change if Randy falters.

Should Randy falter, I don't see Babcock coming here unless this roster/organization has improved by leaps and bounds. He will have the luxury of being very selective and he will want to go to a true contender.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I'll bet that Randy Carlyle has a bounce back season and isn't let go.

We have more warrior type players now, some of our youngsters will be improving and he has better assistants to help out with winning type strategies and systems.

I think they kept him because they believed he was better than the other coaches who were available and it isn't necessarily all about courting someone else at a later date.

They feel Randy is the most qualified coach to help the team win games right now and they will keep him around if he proves to be successful doing that.

Of course we'll always be looking for ways to improve our team moving forward, so it is possible that there will be a change if Randy falters.

Should Randy falter, I don't see Babcock coming here unless this roster/organization has improved by leaps and bounds. He will have the luxury of being very selective and he will want to go to a true contender.

Babs is on record saying he wants a challenge and build up a franchise - so it's not so much going to a contender - vs. does he want to go to Toronto and help them build a winning program.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I honestly dont think the Leafs would have hired Spott as an assistant to Randy if they had intentions of trying to woo Babcock. Babcock will demand his own assistants and that means Spott could be out of a job and out of the organization by next summer. If MLSE thought it was a good chance Babs would come in soon they'd of kept Spott with the Marlies.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I honestly dont think the Leafs would have hired Spott as an assistant to Randy if they had intentions of trying to woo Babcock. Babcock will demand his own assistants and that means Spott could be out of a job and out of the organization by next summer. If MLSE thought it was a good chance Babs would come in soon they'd of kept Spott with the Marlies.

they could put him back down with the Marlies.
(that's what happened with Eakins. He was up as an assistant, down with the Marlies and then went to Edmonton).

if Babs is an option - then it's

Spott to the Marlies OR if he does a good job - we get a pick because someone took him away.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Good point ^

I think Babcock is a straight shooter though and has really given nobody insight on his intentions. So you have to move forward accordingly

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Good point ^

I think Babcock is a straight shooter though and has really given nobody insight on his intentions. So you have to move forward accordingly

exactly. (and thank you :) )

I think Shanahan is just doing what he can with the knowledge he has, and will make moves when other options open up. (i mean - let's be honest - everyone expected Randy to be gone. I mean we're still operating on the fact that Randy's a lame duck, but Simmons and Hayes brought up - what if Randy accepts everything that Shanahan and Nonis told him to do, does it and succeds (regardless if we make the playoffs or not - that he's not a poophead anymore, and runs 4 lines and things improve). Maybe he doesn't get fired at all.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think Shanahan has set this up three ways.

1) He keeps Carlyle on for the "final year" of his contract. Mike Babcock comes available next summer, he is hired, Spott remains on to work with the kids until he get his own NHL head coaching job.

2) He keeps Carlyle on for the "final year" of his contract. Todd McLellan comes available next summer, he is hired, Spott remains on to work with the kids until he get his own NHL head coaching job.

3) He keeps Carlyle on for the "final year" of his contract. Neither Babcock nor McLellan become available, or go elsewhere. Spott is promoted to head coach, Derek King and Gord Dineen are promoted to be the Maple Leafs. Tim Horachek remains unless he gets a job elsewhere.

So, either he gets one of his two guys in Babcock/McLellan, or he has Steve Spott who has gone through the whole organization and is both a good coach and is familiar with all our young players, but during this upcoming season, familiar with our "veteran" players.

Win-Win-Win.

I mean, you can add that Carlyle makes the necessary changes, the Leafs make the playoffs, go a couple rounds, and suddenly he looks good as our coach again, and that throws everything out of wack.

Buuuuuut I don't think that will happen, and I don't think Shanahan/Leiweke do either

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Or Shanahan/Lieweke don't care/won't be swayed by the results, and still lets him go to stay true to the plan. :nod:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
True! But I think people would be happy with playoff collapses for a little while :)

And agreed RC probably should have stepped down. He must want to prove himself

I suspect a lot of people in competitive sports don't have "when the going gets tough, give up" attitude that seems to exist in large doses on HFBoards.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I suspect a lot of people in competitive sports don't have "when the going gets tough, give up" attitude that seems to exist in large doses on HFBoards.

Honestly, people thought he should have quit? :laugh:

When was the last time a Coach quit because things got tough?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad