Confirmed with Link: Leafs Appoint Horachek and Spott As Assistant Coaches

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=726028

David Nonis, Senior Vice President and General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, announced Friday that Peter Horachek and Steve Spott have been named assistant coaches on Randy Carlyle’s staff.

Peter Horachek, 54, served as head coach of the Florida Panthers last season after being named interim coach on November 8, 2014. In 66 games under Horachek, the Panthers posted a 26-36-4 record.

The Stoney Creek, Ontario native served as head coach of the American Hockey League’s (AHL) San Antonio Rampage at the beginning of the 2013-14 season before his appointment with the Panthers. Prior to his stint in San Antonio, Horachek spent nine seasons as an assistant coach with the Nashville Predators (2003-2013), serving his last two years as associate head coach. While working for the Predators, he helped the club advance to the postseason on seven occasions.

Horachek has also served as head coach for the AHL’s Milwaukee Admirals (2002-2003), ECHL’s Trenton Titans (2001-2002) and the International Hockey League’s (IHL) Orlando Solar Bears (1999-2001), where he led the Bears to the 2001 Turner Cup.

Horachek played 10 years of professional hockey as a forward in the AHL and IHL with the Rochester Americans (1979-80 to 1982-83), Flint Generals (1982-83 to 1984-85), Saginaw Generals (1985-86 to 1986-87) and Flint Spirits (1988-89). He also played three seasons of junior hockey with the Oshawa Generals from 1977-78 to 1979-80.

Spott, 46, served as head coach of the Toronto Marlies during the 2013-14 season, posting a 45-25-6 record and leading the team to the AHL’s North Division title and a berth in the Western Conference Final.

Spott was named the team's fourth head coach on July 3, 2013 after spending 12 seasons with the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). The Toronto, Ontario native spent his first seven seasons with the Rangers as an assistant coach under current NHL bench boss Peter DeBoer, during which the team won the Memorial Cup in 2003. Spott was named Kitchener's head coach prior to the 2008-09 campaign, and over five seasons compiled a record of 187-121-32. He guided the Rangers to four playoff berths, including two trips to the Western Conference Final. Spott also served as Kitchener's General Manager for five seasons.

Spott also has significant international coaching experience. In the summer of 2008, he was an assistant coach with Team Canada at the under-18 Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament where Canada captured the gold medal. In 2010, he won a silver medal as an assistant coach with Team Canada at the World Junior Hockey Championships in Saskatchewan. The following year he led Canada to a gold medal as head coach of the under-18 team at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament in the Czech Republic. Spott was also appointed head coach of Team Canada at the 2013 World Junior Hockey Championships in Ufa, Russia.

During his playing career, Spott registered 148 points (75 goals, 73 assists) in 121 games as a forward at Colgate University. He would go on to play 20 games for the Newmarket Saints of the AHL before finishing his playing career with Heerenveen in the Netherlands.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Peter Horacheck + Steve Spott: the New Assistant Coaches

Just announced on TSN Radio

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
Leafs have hired Peter Horachek and Steve Spott as assistant coaches. Horachek had been the Panthers head coach.

I didn't expect Spott to be named assistant coach at all. I really thought they wanted him down with the Marlies for another year or two and then promote him accordingly.

Horachek is an interesting hire though. He spent 9 years as assistant and associate coach to Trotz in Nashville.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Huge surprise I thought Spott was locked in as the Marlies head coach for a couple years.

So start the search for a new Marlies coach or promote one the of the assistants there already?

Makes you wonder about a Gilmour type of veteran player waiting for an opportunity to get behind the bench.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Horachek is not a bad choice. He got a bit of a raw deal in Florida.

I agree. when the Leafs played Florida i watched the Florida pbps and Horacheck was very very good and had the ear of the room. And Florida worked. HARD.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
Leafs have hired Peter Horachek and Steve Spott as assistant coaches. Horachek had been the Panthers head coach.

I didn't expect Spott to be named assistant coach at all. I really thought they wanted him down with the Marlies for another year or two and then promote him accordingly.

Horachek is an interesting hire though. He spent 9 years as assistant and associate coach to Trotz in Nashville.

me either. that's interesting.

One of King or Dineen gets the promotion more then likely.

Hm. that makes sense. I wonder if Dineen calls his brother Kevin to work with him.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
One of King or Dineen gets the promotion more then likely.

I think they will bring in an outside coach, same thing they did when they hired Spott. Would imagine DJ Smith (Oshawa Genarals coach) may get a look here.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Generally I think these are pretty decent hires. Both will be good options to replace Carlyle in interim when he's inevitably fired. Horacheck in particular has a pretty decent background in defensive systems (was under Trotz after all).

Somewhat surprised they moved Spott away from the Marlies though.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I'm excited about Spott coming over.

I like the assistant coaches a lot more right now. I want internal promotions to hire the next Marlies coach.

Dineen and King both have done an excellent job!!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Carlyle is not really a young players coach so Spott will make a nice transition jumping on adjustment spot for Marlies looking to move up to the big club with him there to guide them.

Horachek working for years behind Barry Trotz in Nashville can only help bring defensive awareness to the Leafs that badly need to improve in this area.

These seem like good moves designed to address both development and team defense.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Not bad. I expected much worse. At least these guy have some experience as head coaches, and one worked for one of the best defensive systems in the NHL. As long as they get a big say on the team system it might bring about some change.

Not to mention either can step in if Randy canned.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Carlyle is not really a young players coach so Spott will make a nice transition jumping on adjustment spot for Marlies looking to move up to the big club with him there to guide them.

Horachek working for years behind Barry Trotz in Nashville can only help bring defensive awareness to the Leafs that badly need to improve in this area.

These seem like good moves designed to address both development and team defense.

For me, it would make more sense to make Horachek the actual coach. I have trouble believing Randy will change his style

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I agree. when the Leafs played Florida i watched the Florida pbps and Horacheck was very very good and had the ear of the room. And Florida worked. HARD.

He also ran a far better system than Carlyle.

Florida's possession numbers spiked after they brought in Horachek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad