Confirmed with Link: Leafs Appoint Horachek and Spott As Assistant Coaches

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Has nothing about "when the going gets tough".

- You recently had a poor evaluation. Your boss tells you he is firing your staff, including your best friend, but says he wants you to work out another year. The bosses say they will be hiring a new staff that will work with you. Oh, it is also widely known that the company is only keeping you around until one of their targets become available. Now, management is telling you how to do your job, and you hardly have full control anymore, AND you are working alongside a guy who very well could replace you.

Meanwhile, it is known that a company that just came across some money is interested in hiring you instantly. This company needs some work still, but has a bright future.

What seems like the better job to have?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Horachek wasn't one of my 'favorite' targets for an assistant coach but he should have been. Definitely saying the right things right now and checking up on what he's done in his coaching career is pretty impressive. But again, we'll see how good of an impact he can have.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Has nothing about "when the going gets tough".

- You recently had a poor evaluation. Your boss tells you he is firing your staff, including your best friend, but says he wants you to work out another year. The bosses say they will be hiring a new staff that will work with you. Oh, it is also widely known that the company is only keeping you around until one of their targets become available. Now, management is telling you how to do your job, and you hardly have full control anymore, AND you are working alongside a guy who very well could replace you.

Meanwhile, it is known that a company that just came across some money is interested in hiring you instantly. This company needs some work still, but has a bright future.

What seems like the better job to have?

I guess it depends on how you read the situation.

Are you sure that Carlyle wasn't high on the list of people that Shanahan would like to coach the Leafs -- we know he's not the number one choice, but do we know that he's not in the top 3 or 4 people on that list?

Do we know for sure that Carlyle didn't throw his assistants under the bus?

Do we know if the Florida Panthers job pays anywhere near what the Leafs job does? Most people don't take a pay cut if they don't have to. And are you sure that there would have been a guaranteed job with the Panthers? If it was not guaranteed, why leave? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Do we know for sure that Randy is being told how to do his job? Or has he simply agreed that changes need to made to the way he does things, because obviously those things weren't working out?

Given the number of times that an NHL coach has been replaced by one of his assistants, isn't it always a risk that you're working beside someone who might replace you.

Carlyle has already accomplished something with a team nobody cares about. I suspect he'd really like to accomplish something with a team that people care about.

My point is that once again, a lot of this whole thing is fans shooting their mouths off with incomplete information.

Last edited:

Tyler Biggs*

Considering what Horachek had to work with in Florida last year, a 26-36-4 record isn't that bad.

Tyler Biggs*

Good choices. Have to think this means Spott is next in line for head coach.

Spott is an up and coming NHL coach with a very good record anywhere he coaches. One must notice the article said the Maple Leafs filled out their coaching staff, not Carlyle filled out the coaching staff. Randy has people in place to replace. Must be uncomfortable for him right now.

Randy Carlyle can feel the tie around his neck getting a little tighter.

Tyler Biggs*

Carlyle is not really a young players coach so Spott will make a nice transition jumping on adjustment spot for Marlies looking to move up to the big club with him there to guide them.

Horachek working for years behind Barry Trotz in Nashville can only help bring defensive awareness to the Leafs that badly need to improve in this area.

These seem like good moves designed to address both development and team defense.

:nod:

Good for the team. It's inevitable that the Leafs will become more defensive with these two on board.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
People over-value second round picks, due to our lack of having them. It's not like we've traded these picks for aging veterans instead it's been for usable players. A great shut-down third line center (Bolland), a young former 1st round pick with top 9 PO (Holland) and a PO starting goaltender (Bernier). People are stuck in the days of trading away picks! In reality we've kept our first round picks while trading away second rounders for player that are either proven or with high potential.

The only second round pick I wished we kept was when we drafted up to select Tyler Biggs.

Bolland was a 2nd + 2 other picks, I hated the trade.

Tyler Biggs*

Toronto Maple Leafs name two player-friendly coaches as assistants to Randy Carlyle:

TORONTO — This was not a statement. Of course, Dave Nonis was not interested in making statements.

If he were, the Toronto Maple Leafs general manager would have fired Randy Carlyle at the end of the season. Instead, Nonis fired Carlyle’s assistants in May and presented the head coach with a contract extension. And now, after a two-month search in which every out-of-work coach was reportedly interviewed, the Leafs have settled on two new assistants who can hardly be considered the anti-Carlyle types.

If anything, Steve Spott and Peter Horachek were chosen for their ability to fit alongside Carlyle rather than challenge his current methodology.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014...endly-coaches-as-assistants-to-randy-carlyle/

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
If Carlyle is fired mid season, who do you think takes over as the interim head coach: Horachek or Spott?

probably spott. he's nonis' guy.

eakins and carlyle were burke's guys. spott will get the call for sure cause he was nonis' first major hiring.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
probably spott. he's nonis' guy.

eakins and carlyle were burke's guys. spott will get the call for sure cause he was nonis' first major hiring.

I'm not sure, Horachek already has experience taking over as an NHL head coach. Then again, I was surprised they promoted Spott after only 1 season with the Marlies, so maybe they aren't afraid of giving him even more responsibility so quickly.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
CBC.ca: Peter Horachek on a fresh coaching start with the Maple Leafs

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...coaching-start-with-the-maple-leafs-1.2715494

peter-horachek-620.jpg

Q: So what changes need to be made to make this a playoff team next season?

That’s a decision that all the coaches are going to sit down and talk about. I’m right now in Florida with Randy [Carlyle] and we’re all going to get together here next week for the first time.

I haven’t spent any time with Steve [Spott], haven’t spent any time in detail with all the other coaches being in the same room. We’re going to get through all that stuff. That’ll be decided and talked about and we’ll get down to the details about how we want to play.

Q: What’s been the most important off-season addition to the team so far?

Obviously adding a couple of veteran defencemen is really going to be a help. Stephane Robidas and Roman Polak are really going to be valuable veterans. Settling your defensive zone and making that a stronger area to play is going to be important for sure.

But I think as a whole, I think all the players and the accountability of the players who are returning from last year, the players who were the team leaders on the team – all have to feel it.

Along with the coaches, the accountability of playing up to their capabilities and playing better and not feeling like last year was satisfactory. We have to feel that together and we have to go through that accountability together. We have to make us a lot harder to play against.

Q: So will you be working more with the power play or the penalty kill?

We talked about both scenarios, what our strengths are, what we’ve done in the past and what we’ve worked with. When I was in Nashville I worked with the defence, and I had Ryan Suter and Shea Weber.

Being in Florida was a different role, being on the head coaching side of it. We’ve discussed it, we’ve talked about it, and those are all in the meetings that are going to come forward.

Tyler Biggs*

Found it interesting that Gardiner said this morning that Spott had called him a week ago to have a chat. Spotter is building relationships with the players already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad