Eklund Rumor: Leafs and Pens in on Vanek

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It has been confirmed that Eklund does in fact have sources.

not as many as he claims

I got into a nasty argument with him when I brought up that the guy currently running the site was not the gandpoba that ran it doing the lost year/lockout/strike year. He may have helped out but the main guys who ran it for a couple years where all involved with agents and when Fehr took over he ordered them to no longer be involved in the site and all the main guys walked away.

He did have a good connection to the flyers but I understand the guy is no longer there

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
That's true, but that's not the same thing in my opinion, this is the Pens, when he went to the habs there was no Crosby, no Malkin, no Kessel, no Letang, no Hornquivat etc

the talent level was not, and is not even close to the same thing

remember when Iginla was traded to the Pens and he was going to score millions of goals....
Sometimes it just doesn't work out, even with some of the best players in the World
A 3rd line offensive center is priority for us and then a scoring winger for the bottom 6 who has the potential to move up if needed. I doubt JR overpays for a guy like Vanek

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Eklund has the leafs and Pens in on Vanek with the Pens being the favourites.

you think Eklund might actually get one right? it wouldn't surprise me if Vanek ended up on the Pens.
I used this analogy on another thread and I'm gonna use it again here. Getting rumours from Eklund is like getting a diagnosis from a doctor with a degree from the Brookly Academy of Medicine. Sure, they may get it right but you can never take them seriously.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Vanek doesn't seem like the type of player the Leafs should target. Speedy 4C or a D, sure....

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
He's not going to be playing with Crosby, Malkin or Kessel, though. If he comes in, he'll likely not be higher than the 4th line, because the Penguins top-9 LWers (Guentzel, Hagelin and Sheary) aren't going to be displaced for Vanek.

Well Vanek has a bad reputation in the playoff and work ethic etc but is it really that bad compared to Sheary? Sheary just sucks. He's small, he doesn't produce well even with Sidney Crosby and he does nothing special on the ice.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
How does Vanek make any sense for the Penguins? They need a center, this is their current lineup when healthy:

Sheary-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Sheahan-Kessel
Simon-Rowney-Reaves

Where does Vanek fit in here? On the 4th line?
You don't think Vanek would be a better fit on the 1st line then Rust?

Vanek can play LW too..in place of Sheary or Hagelin

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I used this analogy on another thread and I'm gonna use it again here. Getting rumours from Eklund is like getting a diagnosis from a doctor with a degree from the Brookly Academy of Medicine. Sure, they may get it right but you can never take them seriously.

There aren't many that don't fit that description, in fairness to Eklund.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
How does Vanek make any sense for the Penguins? They need a center, this is their current lineup when healthy:

Sheary-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Sheahan-Kessel
Simon-Rowney-Reaves

Where does Vanek fit in here? On the 4th line?

It makes zero sense.

I like Vanek and he can still put up points, but the idea that the Pens would add a vet of his caliber and have it be a winger, rather than a center is insane. Pens have a limited number of “futures” chips available, and if they push them all in it’s gonna be for the best 3C they can shake loose without (hopefully) losing Sprong or a first.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You don't think Vanek would be a better fit on the 1st line then Rust?

Vanek can play LW too..in place of Sheary or Hagelin

No, I don't as a matter of fact. The Penguins aren't splitting up Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist and I'd much rather have Rust and Sheary in the Penguins top-9 than Vanek. Both Sheary and Rust fit the Penguins system dramatically better than Vanek does, and I'd argue that Rust is also a better player than Vanek because of how awful Vanek is away from the puck.

Well Vanek has a bad reputation in the playoff and work ethic etc but is it really that bad compared to Sheary? Sheary just sucks. He's small, he doesn't produce well even with Sidney Crosby and he does nothing special on the ice.

Sheary had a 70 point pace last year. To say Sheary just sucks is asininely dumb.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
No, I don't as a matter of fact. The Penguins aren't splitting up Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist and I'd much rather have Rust and Sheary in the Penguins top-9 than Vanek. Both Sheary and Rust fit the Penguins system dramatically better than Vanek does, and I'd argue that Rust is also a better player than Vanek because of how awful Vanek is away from the puck.

Sheary had a 70 point pace last year. To say Sheary just sucks is asininely dumb.
Fair enough.

I wasn't implying anything btw..was a legit question lol

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Eklund has the leafs and Pens in on Vanek with the Pens being the favourites.

you think Eklund might actually get one right? it wouldn't surprise me if Vanek ended up on the Pens.

The good old Vanek to Pittsburgh rumors are resurfacing from Ek. Gee ... I'm still waiting for Ales Hemsky to be dealt to the Pens like he had three consecutive deadlines. Pittsburgh doesn't need to get Vanek at all. Total enigma.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The good old Vanek to Pittsburgh rumors are resurfacing from Ek. Gee ... I'm still waiting for Ales Hemsky to be dealt to the Pens like he had three consecutive deadlines. Pittsburgh doesn't need to get Vanek at all. Total enigma.

They don't "need" anybody they are the 2 time defending cup champs but they ALWAYS get somebody I personally think this years addition will be Rick Nash

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Vanek >>>>> Hags
So the second line.

Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist has been demolishing the league and Hagelin has been phenomenal recently. So no, Vanek isn't displacing Hagelin.

Hagelin looks genuinely revitalized in 2018 so far, he's been close to a PPG player so far in 2018 and his speed has been even more noticeable. I'm not bumping him out of the lineup for a lazy, slow and 1-dimensional player like Vanek.

Reactions: Extra Texture

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist has been demolishing the league and Hagelin has been phenomenal recently. So no, Vanek isn't displacing Hagelin.

Hagelin looks genuinely revitalized in 2018 so far, he's been close to a PPG player so far in 2018 and his speed has been even more noticeable. I'm not bumping him out of the lineup for a lazy, slow and 1-dimensional player like Vanek.
What are you talking about? He's got 11 points mostly assists, and has only had 3 primaries since 2018 started. He played bad the first half but this isn't even 80% of what we saw a year prior. Vanek on the other hand brings size, a better shot. The only thing we'd lose is some forecheck pressure but our bottom six has plenty of PK guys that we don't need Hags. So yeah Vanek would be an upgrade. Plus GMJR says he's looking for a left winger with some size.. Makes sense to look at Vanek and move the over paid under performing player.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Man Vanek has a lot of haters in here. I understand if he's not a fit that's fine but that doesn't mean he's not a good player.

And yes, he's better than guys like Hagelin, Sheary, and Rust. Is he a good fit? I have no idea, Pens fans say no so I'll agree with them. But he's still a better player and has value. He's significantly outproducing these guys who play with Malkin and Crosby meanwhile he's playing with washed up 3rd liners.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What are you talking about? He's got 11 points mostly assists, and has only had 3 primaries since 2018 started.

Yes, he has 11 points in 15 games in 2018 so far. I forgot that secondary assists don't count now, thanks for pointing that out. If you've been watching games recently without thinking Hagelin has been excellent recently, I'd just say go rewatch the games.

He played bad the first half but this isn't even 80% of what we saw a year prior. Vanek on the other hand brings size, a better shot. The only thing we'd lose is some forecheck pressure but our bottom six has plenty of PK guys that we don't need Hags. So yeah Vanek would be an upgrade.

Vanek is a soft, lazy, slow and 1-dimensional player. Oh wow, he has a better shot than Hagelin. Congrats, he sucks outside of that shot. He doesn't use that size at all and is insanely slower than Hagelin.

Plus GMJR says he's looking for a left winger with some size..

A. That's just a lie, Rutherford has said he only wants a center.
B. Vanek is a big player like Sheahan is a big player. He doesn't use his size at all.

Makes sense to look at Vanek and move the over paid under performing player.

No it doesn't. Vanek makes absolutely no sense for the Penguins. He brings nothing they need. If they need a guy with a shot and nothing else, why not just call up Sprong?

And yes, he's better than guys like Hagelin, Sheary, and Rust.

Vanek isn't better than Rust.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Sold! Good deal! Don't care what Canucks get back but anything is better than nothing!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad