Status
Not open for further replies.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Friedman trying to start a frenzy
He did the same thing with Karlsson and Vancouver yesterday when he said
"There is also a belief VAN has stepped in to see if it is a match"

This time he is saying "I thinko their pitch is going to be something like this"

Reactions: Cotton

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Probably wants close to 7 million. No clue how they are going to fit Matthews and marner next year.

If he wants close to 7 then it's more about him not having the comparables to demand that much and less about us hypothetically trying to use Tavares taking less as a negotiation tactic.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If he wants close to 7 then it's more about him not having the comparables to demand that much and less about us hypothetically trying to use Tavares taking less as a negotiation tactic.

Personally, I think about 6 million is fine for nylander with a 7 year deal, though I do wonder what the leafs are offering him right now.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
What are you even on about? Tavares contract has absolutely zero negative impact on our negotiating leverage, if anything it improves it.

No it didn't improve anything. That's fan talk.

Players are employees. I'm sure all the players are thrilled with Tavares coming in as long as it doesn't prohibit them from getting paid market value. If the Leafs start low-balling young players, and/or trying to position them to take less, because they just committed a fortune to Tavares, they lose all leverage.

I'm not saying this is what is going on. Nobody knows. But doing simple math, you need to figure the Leafs are going to have a hard time paying Tavares, Matthews, Marner and Nylander all market value, knowing they eventually need to address (and put money towards) the defense.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Nylander needs to remember that he's the odd man out here. Look at the core group. You have Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Rielly and Andersen.

If the Leafs have to cut one loose, it's Nylander. He's not taking Tavares or Matthews' spots at C, and Kadri is cheaper while bringing more to the table to be an effective third liner. Marner is the better winger, while Rielly and Andersen are the top guys at their positions. Nylander isn't negotiating from a point of strength.

I would love for the Leafs to lock him up long term. But if he's looking for too much money and it hampers the ability for the team to sign more important players, I have no problem with them shipping him out for help elsewhere.

Reactions: Confucius

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I would love to see him sign an offer sheet just to make sure he gets his full value.

Go talk to a team looking to accelerate their rebuild and get the 5yrs x 8m.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Pretty boi thinking he is worth an arm and a leg while avoiding all contact.

Not that I disagree, but the Leafs need to be careful here and think this through, which I'm sure they are. Dubas and Shanahan are very bright.

Right now, after a shaky playoffs, Matthews is certain to get his line mate and buddy back (Nylander). Tavares and Marner form an incredible 2nd scoring line that will often draw the opposition's top D assignment, giving Matthews and Nylander some room to work. If the Leafs remove Nylander, who plays with Matthews? The answer is: nobody as talented as Nylander.

Now all of a sudden Matthews has nobody and Tavares and Marner are lighting the world up? How's this make Matthews feel when he's considering his long-term future with the Leafs?

This will eventually get a lot trickier than expected IMO. Crosby and Malkin came in together. Toews and Kane came in together. That's different than bringing a superstar into the mix when Matthews, Nylander and Marner were considered "the core."

Reactions: STLomacneko

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
No it didn't improve anything. That's fan talk.

Players are employees. I'm sure all the players are thrilled with Tavares coming in as long as it doesn't prohibit them from getting paid market value. If the Leafs start low-balling young players, and/or trying to position them to take less, because they just committed a fortune to Tavares, they lose all leverage.

I'm not saying this is what is going on. Nobody knows. But doing simple math, you need to figure the Leafs are going to have a hard time paying Tavares, Matthews, Marner and Nylander all market value, knowing they eventually need to address (and put money towards) the defense.

It's actually not. Players have been known to take less than they could have in all kinds of situations. Having Tavares proves the legitimacy of our intentions to contend and even if it isn't spoken creates an understand that if players want to be part of the long term picture here it could be helpful to take less as cap will no doubt become problematic. Some players will come to that conclusion on their own and give the team a SMALL break. The bigger thing regarding leverage though, as I find the first part difficult to quantify, is that having another player better than most on our team decreasing our reliance on individual players which strengthens our ability to play hardball with them.

I think it's highly unlikely personally that the Leafs are low-balling Nylander anymore than any team goes into a negotiation with an RFA (or any free agent for that matter). I'm assuming they just haven't gotten to their best offer yet.

Obviously cap going forward will be tight, but it's workable.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Pastrnak & the Bruins were probably not close in August either. That worked out fine.... better than fine for Boston I'd say.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nylander needs to remember that he's the odd man out here. Look at the core group. You have Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Rielly and Andersen.

If the Leafs have to cut one loose, it's Nylander. He's not taking Tavares or Matthews' spots at C, and Kadri is cheaper while bringing more to the table to be an effective third liner. Marner is the better winger, while Rielly and Andersen are the top guys at their positions. Nylander isn't negotiating from a point of strength.

I would love for the Leafs to lock him up long term. But if he's looking for too much money and it hampers the ability for the team to sign more important players, I have no problem with them shipping him out for help elsewhere.

There's not a lot of daylight between Marner and Nylander. Of the Big Three, I'm most concerned with overpaying Marner (if he wants closer to Matthews money) because that drags up Nylander.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Johnny Gaudreau signs on October 10th. Six years, $40.5MM.
Nikita Kucherov signs on October 11th. Three years, $14.3MM.
Rasmus Ristolainen signs on October 11th. Six years, $32.4MM.
Ryan Ellis signs on October 5th. Five years, $12.5MM.
Ryan Johansen signs on October 6th. Three years, $12MM.
Alex Pietrangelo signs on September 14th. Seven years, $45.5MM.

Look at all these players who obviously got over paid and don't want to be part of the team or whatever the narrative is.

Look, big name players sign late ALL the time. A lot of these are steal contracts now. So who is to say that Nylander will get this or that? Still over 40 days before opening night..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad