Friedman: Leafs and Nylander not close on extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Its easy to ask a guy to take a discount and he still ends up making 11 million a year.

Nylander is going to be in the 6.5 range, so its gonna be a lot harder to get him to take a discount.
The thing is, he shouldnt make any more than Ehler and Pasta. They're all in the same tier of skill, production and age

I know it never happens but an offersheet suddenly becomes a worry...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
agree, I think Pastrnak sets the upper bound and Drouin sets the lower bound with a gap on either side. AAV might climb a bit if we're looking at 7-8 years

I think we squeeze the 7th year instead of pushing for 8, and he takes slightly less money, then he can still get a lucrative contract at age 28-29.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
He wants to get paid and deserves to get paid, the Tavares signing basically forced the hand of a nylander trade, no matter how many leafs fans refuse to believe this scenario.

Nylander will get traded within the next 12 months, I have no doubt.

Hard for an existing employee to see the new guy get a big payday and then not think that they deserve the same kind of treatment or payoff. This happens very frequently in the corporate world, so wonder if it wouldn't be the same in sports. Players are human after all.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think we squeeze the 7th year instead of pushing for 8, and he takes slightly less money, then he can still get a lucrative contract at age 28-29.
ya I could see that. I'd like to see it done, and if it's $6.5Mish or less for 7 years, I'm very happy with that

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Hard for an existing employee to see the new guy get a big payday and then not think that they deserve the same kind of treatment or payoff. This happens very frequently in the corporate world, so wonder if it wouldn't be the same in sports. Players are human after all.

I don't know of many companies where a 2nd year junior gets mad that a newly hired senior with 5x the resume and track record gets paid more than they do.

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
He wants to get paid and deserves to get paid, the Tavares signing basically forced the hand of a nylander trade, no matter how many leafs fans refuse to believe this scenario.

Nylander will get traded within the next 12 months, I have no doubt.
We have 13 mil in cap space right now and we could have more. Just cause the leafs are being diligent and aren't handing out big contracts doesn't mean we can't resign Nylander lmao.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
ya I could see that. I'd like to see it done, and if it's $6.5Mish or less for 7 years, I'm very happy with that

Yeah 100%. 6-6.5M for 7 years, fair deal. If he won't budge then he can sit...we have offense to spare and he hasn't made his millions yet to sit on, so it'll suck when the checks don't come in for him. This is the point in his career where we have the hammer.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
I dont blame him. Teams want u to take discounts but would not think twice to drop u if they could when ur not useful. Look at how MLSE traded Derozan and lied to him after preaching loyalty. When they want u to take a discount they try to emotionally blackmail u but when they trade or cut u its "just business". Nylander shouldn't give them a penny.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Yeah 100%. 6-6.5M for 7 years, fair deal. If he won't budge then he can sit...we have offense to spare and he hasn't made his millions yet to sit on, so it'll suck when the checks don't come in for him. This is the point in his career where we have the hammer.
I wouldn't worry about $250k/yr, but I agree with the sentiment. If he's looking for $7.5M or something then we have to take the hard line for sure

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Quite frankly Elliote Friedman is a weird source to me now. I mean obviously they aren't close enough to get it done as evidenced by the fact it isn't done, but beyond that he throws so much stuff out these days that I have hard time believing a lot of what he says tbh

I personally doubt that's our pitch.. I mean why would it be. Nylander's comparables put him squarely in the 6-6.5m range with lots of term which is more than reasonable to expect to fit.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Matthews didn't switch agents, he just followed his agent to a different agency. Massive difference. I doubt negotiating Matthews' contract will be difficult at all for either side.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
No reason to worry. Plenty of time. Either way the guy should be extra motivated to excel. Want to prove you're worth your ask, and want other teams to lust after you enough to up any offers to TOR so you can get out if you don't think they'll give it to you.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wouldn't worry about $250k/yr, but I agree with the sentiment. If he's looking for $7.5M or something then we have to take the hard line for sure

Pretty much

6.5M Nylander (7 yrs)
10-11M Matthews (8 yrs)
6.75-7.5M Marner (8 yrs)

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Matthews didn't switch agents, he just followed his agent to a different agency. Massive difference.

Yeah pretty sloppy from Friedman. Kind of makes me wonder how much insight he has getting details like that wrong.

It would've been switching agents if he stayed at the agency his agent departed.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
It’ll be fun to see all the people in here that think Friedman doesn’t know what he’s doing anymore but defend him now that he says the leafs and Nylander are far apart in negotiations.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I don't know of many companies where a 2nd year junior gets mad that a newly hired senior with 5x the resume and track record gets paid more than they do.

Most companies don't have a mandatory salary cap.

A 2nd year employee will continue to want what he's worth or he will go elsewhere to make it. Nylander is not going to expect "Tavares money" but he's also not going to settle for any kind of, "well, William, you noticed we went outside and brought in John Tavares, so you should be happy and settle for less than you're worth just to be part of the team."

The minute the Leafs won the Tavares sweepstakes, was the minute they lost their leverage to convince their current core to settle for less.

It's why Stevie Yzerman took care of Kucherov FIRST, before he explored bringing in a big fish like Karlsson or Panarin. A good manager takes care of their people first, then sees what's left over for outsiders.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
"Hey everyone, the new guy took less! Remember that first big money contract you have been working for since you were like 7? Yeah you're gonna have to go lower now. New guy, remember?"

Good luck.

Reactions: STLomacneko

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Pretty much

6.5M Nylander (7 yrs)
10-11M Matthews (8 yrs)
6.75-7.5M Marner (8 yrs)
yep, then try to keep the train of ELC/RFA talent around them rolling. We have 4 years until Kadri and Rielly are up, so having 6 core players and a good goalie for that window will give us the building blocks

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Most companies don't have a mandatory salary cap.

A 2nd year employee will continue to want what he's worth or he will go elsewhere to make it. Nylander is not going to expect "Tavares money" but he's also not going to settle for any kind of, "well, William, you noticed we went outside and brought in John Tavares, so you should be happy and settle for less than you're worth."

The minute the Leafs won the Tavares sweepstakes, was the minute they lost their leverage to convince their current core to settle for less.

It's why Stevie Yzerman took care of Kucherov FIRST, before he explored bringing in a big fish like Karlsson or Panarin. A good manager takes care of their people first, then sees what's left over for outsiders.

What are you even on about? Tavares contract has absolutely zero negative impact on our negotiating leverage, if anything it improves it.

And a good manager can sign their own guys and free agents in any order.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
"Hey everyone, the new guy took less! Remember that first big money contract you have been working for since you were like 7? Yeah you're gonna have to go lower now. New guy, remember?"

Good luck.

And yet there's precisely no evidence we've done that. This is purely Friedman's opinion.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Its easy to ask a guy to take a discount and he still ends up making 11 million a year.

Nylander is going to be in the 6.5 range, so its gonna be a lot harder to get him to take a discount.
And when he signs his next contract like Tavares(who has earned it) he can feel the same way about money. Like Tavares did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad