Friedman: Leafs and Lightning Interested in Maroon

filthyMitz

Feb 5, 2018
Indiana
Meh, not really interested. Where would he play? He won't bump any of the wingers with the way Babcock is sticking to the current lineup. Unless the plan is to get rid of Moore, move Komarov to centre and put Maroon or Brown there.
Fan of the bolded

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Fan of the bolded

I thought the suggestion someone made earlier to have Maroon play LW on the third line and then move Marleau to C was the best one. No one can beat having a player of Bozak's caliber on the fourth line, and Maroon has the added bonus of being able to play a regular shift with Matthews if it was ever necessary.

filthyMitz

Feb 5, 2018
Indiana
I thought the suggestion someone made earlier to have Maroon play LW on the third line and then move Marleau to C was the best one. No one can beat having a player of Bozak's caliber on the fourth line, and Maroon has the added bonus of being able to play a regular shift with Matthews if it was ever necessary.
Having Bozak on the fourth would be a great luxury but I’m not a fan of splitting up Kadri’s line at the moment, especially after last nights play. Also hasn’t Marleau expressed disinterest in playing centre?

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Unless Matt Martin is center piece of this deal then I don't see why the Leafs would be at all interested.

Geoff72

Mar 25, 2015
Toronto
So in addition to ignoring trade deadline history, you want to pretend the report that was the genesis for this thread also doesn't exist. Yep, you definitely aren't living in reality right now.
Seems recent history does not agree with you.

2016-17 trade deadline acquisitions:
Jarome Iginila - Colorado received a conditional 4th
Stalberg- Carolina received a 3rd
Eaves - Dallas received a conditional 2nd
Ott - Detroit received a 6th
Dwight King - LA received a conditional 4th
Stafford - Winnipeg received a conditional 6th.
Parenteau - New Jersey received a 6th

Thats just a few, but tell me again how much a player that only once outside of playing with McJesus ever recorded more than 30 points in a season is worth basically 2 2nds?

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal

Thats just a few, but tell me again how much a player that only once outside of playing with McJesus ever recorded more than 30 points in a season is worth basically 2 2nds?
Last year was pretty lackluster overall to be fair

Geoff72

Mar 25, 2015
Toronto
I've always thought we'd get a 2nd for Maroon, a 2nd + Erne is well above what I think he is worth, but he most certainly would give you grit for the playoffs, if you spent even a small time watching him it becomes very clear that grit is something he brings to the table and quite regularly.

Fair enough, but tell me how having absolutely no grit the last two years worked out for the Pens?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I agree that last year was pretty lackluster but so has the last several seasons. I can do the 2014-15 and 2015-16 deadline too if you like? Will still be the same types of results.

I think you have to include the week leading up to the trade deadline day

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
As has been mentioned, teams have supposedly expressed interest in Komarov, so perhaps Lou is simply checking on what’s out there as a replacement. Maybe there’s been a really tempting offer for Leo.

As for folks that are suggesting moving Leo to centre, don’t you think that Babs would have already tried that if he was interested in icing such a lineup?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
On HNIC Headlines.

-Rumors this week that Leafs are interested in Patrick Maroon though Friedman wonders where he'd fit unless Leafs make a surprise move.

-Also said Tampa is very interested and pointed out tha Jon Cooper coached Maroon on junior hockey

Re: Maroon and the Leafs

I heard Friedman say that on HNIC and it surprised me. I can't see why the Leafs would be interested in another winger. Seems like a 4C and a defender are their biggest needs. Some of these trade rumours about the Leafs are weird these days.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Unless Matt Martin is center piece of this deal then I don't see why the Leafs would be at all interested.
Why would the Oilers trade the better player for cap dump? Matt Martin is a 4th liner signed for 2 more seasons at 2.5 M. The Leafs would have to add to get rid of that contract, or retain some salary. But it doesn't matter since the Oilers don't touch that trade for Maroon.

Last edited:

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016

He's not worth 2 2nds but he is worth a second round pick. A lot of teams would trade a 3rd rounder for Patrick Maroon so when you add in demand that player like Maroon brings, you should get a 2nd round pick. He's on pace for 40 points while mostly playing away from McDavid. Also, your are comparing Maroon to 4th liners (Stafford, King, Ott, Stalberg) and players who are 33+ years of age.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Maroon helped the Oilers a lot last year, got to think if he's moved he could have the same effect on whatever team he goes to.

Geoff72

Mar 25, 2015
Toronto
He's not worth 2 2nds but he is worth a second round pick. A lot of teams would trade a 3rd rounder for Patrick Maroon so when you add in demand that player like Maroon brings, you should get a 2nd round pick. He's on pace for 40 points while mostly playing away from McDavid. Also, your are comparing Maroon to 4th liners (Stafford, King, Ott, Stalberg) and players who are 33+ years of age.

I only questioned the individual that claimed we would give up Erne(2nd rd pick) plus another 2nd for him because that is how trade deadline acquisitions work which just turned out to not be true. I countered we may give up a 3rd for him but that is about it. So basically you and I are in agreement about what his value is.

As far as the players I compared him to and their returns, their age is irrelevant. Maroon would be nothing more than a rental on our team much like everyone of these other players were. And do you really think Maroon is going to be anything more than a 4th liner in Tampa, especially once Palat returns?

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I only questioned the individual that claimed we would give up Erne(2nd rd pick) plus another 2nd for him because that is how trade deadline acquisitions work which just turned out to not be true. I countered we may give up a 3rd for him but that is about it. So basically you and I are in agreement about what his value is.

As far as the players I compared him to and their returns, their age is irrelevant. Maroon would be nothing more than a rental on our team much like everyone of these other players were. And do you really think Maroon is going to be anything more than a 4th liner in Tampa, especially once Palat returns?

Maroon would probably be used a bottom 6 player on a contender with the ability to move up and down in the lineup. Teams can utilize him on any of the lines from 1 to 4. He would be a perfect depth addition to a contender if any injury hits on of their top 6 guys because of his ability to move up.

I think Maroon can play anywhere on the lineup in Tampa depending on who he has chemistry with. Either way, I think teams would be acquiring Maroon as insurance if one of their top 6 players go down with an injury in the playoffs.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
As good as Marleau looked at center this year, he doesn’t want to play there... and I don’t think Babcock wants to push him harder than he’s willing to go.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'd rather have a RW, not Maroon.

But why? Nylander, Marner, Brown and Komarov are all RW (Kapanen too, but currently on LW)

Then on the left we have JVR, Marleau, Kapanen and Hyman

We quite simply don't need wingers right now unless someone is leaving, or we're getting an ugrade which Maroon isn't really over anyone other than Komarov.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad