Friedman: Leafs and Lightning Interested in Maroon

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Oilers need to improve their team speed. I would be looking at players with this element.

I say this often, Stevie Y is a sharp trader, if you are trading with him. Be wary. If I had to deal with a GM here, It would be Lamoriello who seems to value Maroon type of players, You are likely to get a better deal from him.

He's going to play the two potential buyers off against each other and all that other stuff is bull****

Go back and look at who Yzerman picked up as UFA'S this season and get back to me on him not valuing that type of player

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Leafs fans claim Maroon wouldn't even make their team though.

How could this be?
Would he though? The Leafs probably have more depth on the wings than any team in the league. Kapanen is on the fourth line. Johnsson and others on the Marlies. What we need is a fourth line center.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Lol. We will at some point need to trade assets to get guys if we want them. Like I said, Yzerman I'm sure would prefer to deal in picks, but if we're really gonna sit here and say Matthew freaking Peca is somehow off limits, then I don't know what we're even doing trying to play hockey instead of just collecting prospects.

We've gotten to this point without winning faceoffs. I think we could make it without all 18 games of his NHL experience.

He's not off limits but it would make more sense to trade Paquette and a 3rd than say Peca and a 3rd or Erne straight up.

Reactions: AndreRoy

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
He's not off limits but it would make more sense to trade Paquette and a 3rd than say Peca and a 3rd or Erne straight up.

Well yeah, of course. I don't start my offer with Peca, but he should in no way be off limits if that's what gets a deal done for a guy Yzerman believes can improve the team.

I don't think there's many teams in the league that are going to be interested in Paquette

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Komorov is our goal to PK forward and Martin isn't playing

I don't see where he'd fit unless we're moving guys like JVR out
During the same segment that Elliot said this Maroon thing, he also said the Leafs had 2 teams asking about JVR, the Leafs told said teams they are not trading him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Well yeah, of course. I don't start my offer with Peca, but he should in no way be off limits if that's what gets a deal done for a guy Yzerman believes can improve the team.

I don't think there's many teams in the league that are going to be interested in Paquette

If he's healthy Paquette is an ok 4th liner, I also think he'd do better in the physical West.

Maroon would be a pure luxury, we are solid on both wings especially when Palat is back. But I wouldn't mind him as I think he's a more clinical Callahan. If Maroon had all the chances Callahan has had this year he would have 10 goals not the 2 Callahan has.

Reactions: LilWayneJetski

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Lol. We will at some point need to trade assets to get guys if we want them. Like I said, Yzerman I'm sure would prefer to deal in picks, but if we're really gonna sit here and say Matthew freaking Peca is somehow off limits, then I don't know what we're even doing trying to play hockey instead of just collecting prospects.

We've gotten to this point without winning faceoffs. I think we could make it without all 18 games of his NHL experience.

What does Maroon give us that’s worth a young effective roster player who solves one of our biggest weaknesses, is providing quality depth scoring, and looks to have a spot in our lineup going forward? And are you denying the fact that the Killorn-Peca-Gourde line had been our most effective recently? Peca’s obviously not off limits for a good trade but Maroon is both a rental and too slow for our system so it just doesn’t make sense.

We’ve also gotten to this point without a decent partner for Hedman; by your logic we don’t need one of those either.

Why is it every time somebody turns down a proposal on this forum they’re accused of “collecting prospects”? Just because you have them to spare that doesn’t mean you should throw them away in moves that don’t make sense.

Last edited:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Except it does make sense. We're not talking about Foote or Howden here. We're talking about Peca.

But whatever dude. Peca will certainly be more effective for us in the playoffs over a guy like Maroon because he can win a faceoff.

I'm done with this discussion. No TB draftee will revert be traded again, because we're not actually interested in getting better, apparently.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Oilers need to improve their team speed. I would be looking at players with this element.

I say this often, Stevie Y is a sharp trader, if you are trading with him. Be wary. If I had to deal with a GM here, It would be Lamoriello who seems to value Maroon type of players, You are likely to get a better deal from him.

Yeah Lou really values those types of players alright. That why the Leafs are chalk full of guys like that!

Oh wait...

Reactions: Morgs

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah Lou really values those types of players alright. That why the Leafs are chalk full of guys like that, not to mention their prospect pool!

Oh wait...

Yes, Lamoriello has a penchant for veterans, in most cases grinders in NJ, and in Toronto. IE. Clowe, Martin, Boyle just last year. So it would be no surprise he would pay more to trade for a player like Maroon.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Leafs fans claim Maroon wouldn't even make their team though.

How could this be?

Most Leaf fans like the idea of Maroon.

But currently, there’s no spot for him. That’s the issue.

Unless this management team was thinking about trading Komarov or JVR and replacing them with Maroon. But at that point, what’s the point in dealing one pending UFA, to acquire another

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Except it does make sense. We're not talking about Foote or Howden here. We're talking about Peca.

But whatever dude. Peca will certainly be more effective for us in the playoffs over a guy like Maroon because he can win a faceoff.

I'm done with this discussion. No TB draftee will revert be traded again, because we're not actually interested in getting better, apparently.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

There you go again with the ridiculous false dichotomy. Just because I don’t want to trade a useful cost controlled player for a rental who doesn’t fit our team, somehow that translates to being unwilling to trade any draftee and uninterested in making the team better. Why don’t you step off your high horse and explain why Maroon is worth Peca if you’re that obsessed with making this trade? Tell me why we need a slow player at our greatest position of strength, who would be at best our fifth best player at the position and who would be gone in the summer, over a cost-controlled piece who better fits our team and provides much needed lower line scoring depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAY7791

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I think Tampa makes a lot of sense, as they have prospects out the wazoo. Right wing also happens to be an area of need in Edmonton's system, and the Lightning have an absolute ton of them, so they are an even better match than Toronto in that regard.

However, most of Tampa's prospect wingers are either a) very young b) worth more than a rental of Maroon's caliber. If he is still gainfully employed by the deadline, Chia will probably target someone a bit older and thus closer to NHL duty.

With that said, Erne looks like a strong possibility; he's a good deal older than most of their pipeline, and will be pushed by the likes of Katchouk shortly. He's also a Chia player and ironically has the upside to be exactly what Maroon is today.

It's not as attractive as some offers I've seen for him around here, but Maroon for Erne + Tampa's 2nd is a decent deal I could live with.

Geoff72

Mar 25, 2015
Toronto
I think Tampa makes a lot of sense, as they have prospects out the wazoo. Right wing also happens to be an area of need in Edmonton's system, and the Lightning have an absolute ton of them, so they are an even better match than Toronto in that regard.

However, most of Tampa's prospect wingers are either a) very young b) worth more than a rental of Maroon's caliber. If he is still gainfully employed by the deadline, Chia will probably target someone a bit older and thus closer to NHL duty.

With that said, Erne looks like a strong possibility; he's a good deal older than most of their pipeline, and will be pushed by the likes of Katchouk shortly. He's also a Chia player and ironically has the upside to be exactly what Maroon is today.

It's not as attractive as some offers I've seen for him around here, but Maroon for Erne + Tampa's 2nd is a decent deal I could live with.

You think we would give up Erne +our 2nd for Maroon? Edmonton would be lucky if we were willing to give up more than a 3rd for Maroon

Reactions: AndreRoy

Geoff72

Mar 25, 2015
Toronto
Well, yes, in reality, that is what teams give up for rentals. If you choose to live outside of reality I can't help you.

Tell me again why we give up anything for a player that we don't need? Is this the player that is going to give us some grit for the playoffs?

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Tell me again why we give up anything for a player that we don't need? Is this the player that is going to give us some grit for the playoffs?

So in addition to ignoring trade deadline history, you want to pretend the report that was the genesis for this thread also doesn't exist. Yep, you definitely aren't living in reality right now.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Really don't see how this would work for the Leafs, unless they are moving out roster bodies as well. Where does he play in the line-up?

Hyman - Been stapled to Matthews wing since day 1.
Marleau - He isn't a player that is going to bump Marleau
JVR - Nope, not here either.
Komarov - Possibly?

He has to replace one of these players, unless the Leafs move Komarov to center (something they haven't really done at all this far, so I would assume that isn't the plan).

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I've always thought we'd get a 2nd for Maroon, a 2nd + Erne is well above what I think he is worth, but he most certainly would give you grit for the playoffs, if you spent even a small time watching him it becomes very clear that grit is something he brings to the table and quite regularly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad