Friedman: Leafs and Lightning Interested in Maroon

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
TB's second is likely to be low, and considering the strength of our prospect pool, I'd do it. And if we did make the trade, I think it'd be with the intention of bringing Maroon back, assuming he meets expectations.

I can talk myself into either side of dealing Erne for him. On one hand, I do think it'd be worth it, with certain conditions. On the other hand, I feel like we could get better value out of Erne in a different deal, should we choose to deal him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Leafs = speed
Maroon = slow

This isn’t happening.

TB = speed too, but there's nothing wrong with adding a little size to the mix. Especially if the guy can score goals.

Kunitz was a real headscratcher at the time TB signed him, but I don't think a single TB fan regrets the deal now.

If Maroon can keep up well enough to play here and there with McDavid, he can play with any team. Maybe not as effectively, but he'd make either TB or Toronto better, I think.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
No way there is any truth to this. The Leafs are stacked with winger depth. They are after a centre and a defencemen.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I thought the suggestion someone made earlier to have Maroon play LW on the third line and then move Marleau to C was the best one. No one can beat having a player of Bozak's caliber on the fourth line, and Maroon has the added bonus of being able to play a regular shift with Matthews if it was ever necessary.
It's a smart hypothetical move. I would take it one step further and explore trading Bozak, while sliding both Komarov and Marleau to centre, having Moore as the 13th forward. Ideally, the Leafs would send Martin back in a deal for Maroon as a cap dump (+ other assets obviously).

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
JVR - Marleau - Brown
Maroon - Kadri - Marner
Kapanen - Komarov - Soshnikov
(Moore - Johnsson*)

The only downside to this set-up is the lack of right handed centres, but both Nylander and Brown are competent at pinching in on draws if needed. You could always explore an additional trade for a player like Glendening (RH centre) on the cheap, which would keep Komarov on the wing and have Soshnikov as the extra. Regardless, this option would be a much faster line-up with more dependability down the middle.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It's a smart hypothetical move. I would take it one step further and explore trading Bozak, while sliding both Komarov and Marleau to centre, having Moore as the 13th forward. Ideally, the Leafs would send Martin back in a deal for Maroon as a cap dump (+ other assets obviously).

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
JVR - Marleau - Brown
Maroon - Kadri - Marner
Kapanen - Komarov - Soshnikov
(Moore - Johnsson*)

The only downside to this set-up is the lack of right handed centres, but both Nylander and Brown are competent at pinching in on draws if needed. You could always explore an additional trade for a player like Glendening (RH centre) on the cheap, which would keep Komarov on the wing and have Soshnikov as the extra. Regardless, this option would be a much faster line-up with more dependability down the middle.

Why are we breaking up Marleau - Kadri - Marner when they've been terrific since being put together.

We can sort out our bottom 6 another way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad