LeBrun: Leafs and Kings have discussed Marleau trade

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
dion-phaneuf-2019-40.jpg
That is one, but why would he waive after the way he was treated here? He waived to get out of Toronto.

Last edited:

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Again...i am not saying the Leafs movd Marleau for free. But they can turn this into cap savings and get a piece they need while helping another team.

To Colorado
Marleau+Kadr

To Toronto
Erik Johnson

Leafs gain 4.75 in cap...Afs get a 2C they need while having the cap to take Marleau.

3C on a team that was eliminated in round 1 largely due to his antics.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Now that Marceau has agreed to waive, he won't be difficult to move at all. After his bonus is paid, some cash strapped teams might see him as an asset.
Only catch is both parties agreed he is going out west.
Easy trade with minor assets involved

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yep marleau wants out and will go West. Dubas approaches the teams closest to SJ first and then when it doesn’t look good. Goes to the next.
Sounds about right. It has to make sense for the Kings as well. They really don't have any $3 million type contracts for a couple of years that they would like to unload, which is what TSN had suggested would be the basis of a deal from LA's POV. Longer term but smaller cap hit guys that they want to move.

People also ignore what these Western teams expect to accomplish next season. Does adding Marleau help them achieve that. If these teams are retooling, it may make sense to add this contract for assets. If they want to compete for a playoff spot, there are probably better options to spend $6 million in cap space to improve their rosters.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think the leafs talked with Patty and talked to him about him, the team and his hit affecting the future of the team.

Most think he is a hall of famer and him waiving his NMC to free up 6.25mill helps the leafs and will score him pts with TO media and show the hall of fame committee how much of a stand up guy he is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad