the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Don't see anything wrong with this trade

Kings receive:
Marleau (TOR retain 1.5 mil)
2019 2nd

Leafs receive:
Trevor Lewis (TOR buy out)

Why would Toronto buy out Lewis? I mean, feel free, but Kings would just re-sign him. He’s still a great fourth line player. I’d rather just send a 7th.

Reactions: go4hockey

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Strange rebuild if they don't start moving out their own older players like Kovy, Brown, Phaneuf, Carter, Quick. A quick retool, and Doughty & Martinez can be there on the other end of it. Kopitar, I think his best years would have past.

So, LA is definately in a weird spot. Have several Vets that they would need to balance cap hits to move/or retain salary on. Phaneuf with a NTC, and Carter has indicated that he won't go to just any team.

Interesting times for the LA Kings.

Never said anything like this and in his exit statements said he hes looking forward to playing his 1000 game next season. He would love it to be for la but relies that he has no trade protection and its a busniess. I wish this article people read who's writter did not quote Carter once He assumed a bunch of crap.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Is retaining salary on Marleau an option for Toronto? If not, they could possibly get a third team involved.

LA

Marleau (up to 50%retained by Ottawa)

Ott

Lewis
2nd or 3rd round pick in 2020 from Toronto
4th round pick in 2019 from LA

Tor

Condon

Toronto can bury Condon in the minors or buy him out. The latter leaves them with a 400k cap hit for next year, and a 1 million cap hit the year after.

Ottawa can trade Lewis close to the deadline.

So what’s in this for LA. You have them sending out a player and pick for an old guy we don’t need. If LA is taking Marleau they are getting something out of it. IE a pick or prospect and sending out little of nothing like a 6th rounder.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
So what’s in this for LA. You have them sending out a player and pick for an old guy we don’t need. If LA is taking Marleau they are getting something out of it. IE a pick or prospect and sending out little of nothing like a 6th rounder.

I guess what they are getting is Marleau at a reduced price rather than his full cap hit. I don’t know if the Kings want him at the full cap hit, and I’m not sure the Leafs can retain salary, which is why I suggested the third team being involved.

I threw in Lewis because I thought maybe LA wanted to shed some salary in the deal.

It might be better for it to a two team trade, that way L.A. can get an asset from Toronto. It just wouldn’t shock me if a third team got involved to retain salary.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Marleau is only owed that little? He is easily tradeable, some teams need cap hit with no money spent. He wouldn't be a negative asset even if owed the full $6 million...at less than $3 million he holds value. Not much for sure, but you're not going to add assets to trade him.

The thing your leaving out is his NTC/NMC which ever he has he will not take a trade to most places. It seems it’s a California team or Toronto. So if your sending him to a team retooling you surely will have to add an asset to get someone to take him.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I guess what they are getting is Marleau at a reduced price rather than his full cap hit. I don’t know if the Kings want him at the full cap hit, and I’m not sure the Leafs can retain salary, which is why I suggested the third team being involved.

I threw in Lewis because I thought maybe LA wanted to shed some salary in the deal.

It might be better for it to a two team trade, that way L.A. can get an asset from Toronto. It just wouldn’t shock me if a third team got involved to retain salary.

LA will not be putting in anything of value to help Toronto by taking a one year cap dump. If I’m LA I set what I want to do the Leafs a favor and if they don’t want to pay the price they can keep that cap hit they badly need gone.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
LA will not be putting in anything of value to help Toronto by taking a one year cap dump. If I’m LA I set what I want to do the Leafs a favor and if they don’t want to pay the price they can keep that cap hit they badly need gone.

Can the Kings take on Marleau at his full cap hit? Assuming you guys get, say an asset like a 2nd round pick for your troubles?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
BTW, I totally understand Toronto keeping Sandin and their 1st rounder. I just don't see Blake settling for a lower Prospect or pick for giving Toronto 6.25 in Cap Space. With LA most likely not making the playoffs this year again, LA will have plenty of picks & prospects again next year. Blake will try to sweeten the pot by adding a vet at 50% , if Toronto is more ears about it. LA has plenty of 3rd/4th liners and 5th/6th dmen, now he going to work on the top tier lines/pairings.

It's 1 year contract though. You act like it's a multi year cap dump. Real money owed after July 1 is only a few million. If LA has cap space, and think adding Marleau improves their locker room or makes the team better, why wouldn't they take him for a small plus?

I can promise you that Dubas is not dumb enough to include their top prospect to dump 1 year of salary. If anything, it would be a trade like Datsyuk had. Leafs trade their 2nd + Marleau to the kings for the kings 3rd/4th round pick.

Reactions: Rorschach

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I believe they have about 12 million in cap with 2(?) players to sign...(posted earlier by a Kings fan).

We have about 7-10 guys to sign with the most expensive likely being Adrian Kempe..
We could realistically take Marleau’s entire cap hit which would be great for your team but it would cost a lot... think Kap, AJ, Bracco, maybe even a 1st... We match up pretty well as trade partners so it just depends on whether Marleau is just a straight dump or a dump++++ for say, Martinez and/or Toffoli??
Keep in mind that the above players could also be had with retention so the possibilities and combinations could benefit both teams.. again!

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
We have about 7-10 guys to sign with the most expensive likely being Adrian Kempe..
We could realistically take Marleau’s entire cap hit which would be great for your team but it would cost a lot... think Kap, AJ, Bracco, maybe even a 1st... We match up pretty well as trade partners so it just depends on whether Marleau is just a straight dump or a dump++++ for say, Martinez and/or Toffoli??
Keep in mind that the above players could also be had with retention so the possibilities and combinations could benefit both teams.. again!
4 pluses for Martinez? That's probably not gonna happen.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Sandin's name should never enter this thread. They would sooner trade someone like Johnsson than give up a potential top pair defenseman who will give them cheap ELC years.

Last edited:

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
4 pluses for Martinez? That's probably not gonna happen.
The pluses we’re for Marleau’s full cap hit with both Martinez and Toffoli headed the other way with retention...
So in a nutshell the Leafs would be
Subtracting
Patrick Marleau $6+mill
Adding
Alec Martinez - $750k-$1mill
Tyler Toffoli - 50% retention

So that’s where the +++ comes in
We don’t need Sandin or Liljegren so their off the table ...

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The pluses we’re for Marleau’s full cap hit with both Martinez and Toffoli headed the other way with retention...
So in a nutshell the Leafs would be
Subtracting
Patrick Marleau $6+mill
Adding
Alec Martinez - $750k-$1mill
Tyler Toffoli - 50% retention

So that’s where the +++ comes in
We don’t need Sandin or Liljegren so their off the table ...
Interesting cocept, so what would the full deal look like in your opinion? What needs to be added from Toronto?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Interesting cocept, so what would the full deal look like in your opinion? What needs to be added from Toronto?

Marleau + Kap or AJ + 2nd.. I think the first 2 parts are easy, its the pick(s) that might be problematic we might ask for your 1st??
Toffoli on any of your 2 lines likely explodes offensively while Martinez solidifies your backend with Muzzin and your pick of Sandin or Liljegren.. With any luck, Martinez pulls off some clutch playoff magic and this ends up a bargain on the TML end...

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Marleau + Kap or AJ + 2nd.. I think the first 2 parts are easy, its the pick(s) that might be problematic we might ask for your 1st??
Toffoli on any of your 2 lines likely explodes offensively while Martinez solidifies your backend with Muzzin and your pick of Sandin or Liljegren.. With any luck, Martinez pulls off some clutch playoff magic and this ends up a bargain on the TML end...
I would do that. Don't really want to move a 1st (unless Dubas manages to acquire on in another deal).

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I dont know if anyone posted up Bob Mackenzie's take from Overdrive, he said something along the lines of LA would be looking to send back someone with a lower cap hit, but with more term.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00