Friedman: Leafs an unlikely fit for Pietrangelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Exactly. The Blues aren't moving a #1 defenseman for a 60 point winger with upside. Not unless they are 100% certain he wasn't extending here, which would be highly unlikely at this point.
In a vacuum that makes sense but when you factor in term it gets more complicated. Is one year of player x worth more than many years of player y?

I'm not sure they are all that well suited to a complete rebuild anyway. They should look at a coaching change.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
St. Louis might end up being a good trade partner for TOR, but not at the price you might have to pay for Pietrangelo.

There's still a lot of hockey to play before the TDL.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Kapanen (breakout yr)
Bracco (ready for NHL duty)
Zaitsev (RHD)
Sparks (can platoon with Allen)
1st (always a great asset)

For

Pietrangelo (clearly a #1 RHD, but is struggling)
Binnington (can slot in as backup)

If St.Louis prefers, they could replace Bracco and the 1st with Liljegren.

I think St. Louis would prefer to erase that whole deal and start again with Marner+.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is this something you just copy and paste for funsies?

I flat out said next year won't be good, but after that the picture gets brighter. I've done the math enough times, dealing with people who're drooling over the prospect of the Leafs struggling. We'll be fine.

Not my problem you can't handle the truth. You need to be reminded I guess. The situation is what it is.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We should listen to this guy. He knows all about the bolded with his 31 year old mid-tier goalie making 10.5 mil and a 33 year old defenseman who can't stay healthy making 8 mil for the next 8 years.

YIKES!

This is not about the Habs, it's about the Leafs. But if you want to talk about the Habs, this is not the thread.

I simply broke down my perception about the Leafs D and their cap situation. It's more logical than not and I think you are getting too sensitive about it. You had no reply other than to switch it to the Habs. You got anything productive to say?

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
This is not about the Habs, it's about the Leafs. But if you want to talk about the Habs, this is not the thread.

I simply broke down my perception about the Leafs D and their cap situation. It's more logical than not and I think you are getting too sensitive about it. You had no reply other than to switch it to the Habs. You got anything productive to say?
Nah, not really :laugh:

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nylander for Pietrangelo would be absolutely steal for Toronto. No way that's the only ask.

Pietrangelo is a top 5-7 D in the game. He's worth closer to Marner than Nylander.

Lol no he isn’t.

Vet players and soon to be UFAs have subpar trade value compared to what folks on here seem to think.

I don’t know how many of these guys need to be traded for quantity packages of picks and B prospects for folks to realize this.

Mar 26, 2010
Nylander for Pietrangelo would be absolutely steal for Toronto. No way that's the only ask.

Pietrangelo is a top 5-7 D in the game. He's worth closer to Marner than Nylander.
:laugh: No he is not!

Nylander would be a steal for the Blues.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Ya the kid that's on pace for 100 assists. And you want more? Please.

You offered a deal with the Zaitsev contract. It's no better than STL asking for Marner. They don't need to do you guys any favors.

How convenient it would be to dump that contract AND get Pietrangelo. Please.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Lol no he isn’t.

Vet players and soon to be UFAs have subpar trade value compared to what folks on here seem to think.

I don’t know how many of these guys need to be traded for quantity packages of picks and B prospects for folks to realize this.

The Blues would have to actually be motivated to move Pietrangelo to accept that kind of return though. So you can drag out comparables all you like but the Blues likely won't accept a futures package, they'll look to retool for next year and re-sign Petro when it comes up.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Blues would have to actually be motivated to move Pietrangelo to accept that kind of return though. So you can drag out comparables all you like but the Blues likely won't accept a futures package, they'll look to retool for next year and re-sign Petro when it comes up.

That’s fine, they absolutely don’t have to trade him.

But if they do try to, no mater what the team, it’s going to be for a quantity package of futures not a 1 for 1 type deal.

Honestly, would be smarter for them to resign him, and he’s not exactly the kind of player the Leafs need. They likely can’t afford to gut their prospect pool right now.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
That’s fine, they absolutely don’t have to trade him.

But if they do try to, no mater what the team, it’s going to be for a quantity package of futures not a 1 for 1 type deal.

Honestly, would be smarter for them to resign him, and he’s not exactly the kind of player the Leafs need. They likely can’t afford to gut their prospect pool right now.

History would suggest you're correct on the return because by the time they might consider dealing him he would be 30 and about to hit UFA.

I don't think that time is now though and again, they'll almost certainly just re-sign him. But for 2 PO runs with him the price is more now than it would be for a pending UFA.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If the Leafs legitimately had an opportunity to get Pietrangelo for Nylander, and turned it down for those sort of potential future complications...that'd be asinine. You don't turn down a #1D for a Top-6Winger. Especially not when that winger is looking for like $7M anyway, which gets you awfully close to the ballpark of what Pietrangelo's future salary ask probably ends up being.

Reactions: Snowman

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If the Leafs legitimately had an opportunity to get Pietrangelo for Nylander, and turned it down for those sort of potential future complications...that'd be asinine. You don't turn down a #1D for a Top-6Winger. Especially not when that winger is looking for like $7M anyway, which gets you awfully close to the ballpark of what Pietrangelo's future salary ask probably ends up being.

He’s not just an average “a top six winger” he hit 60 points as a 20 year old rookie. You don’t trade players that young and that good for vets.

Not if you actually want to have sustained success in today’s NHL. Which is why it’s never happened in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad