Friedman: Leafs an unlikely fit for Pietrangelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
.3. Nick Kypreos shook the masses last weekend, wondering on Headlines if Alex Pietrangelo would be a fit for Toronto. With a few more days to work off it, my guess is this: St. Louis put him in William Nylander discussions, but the Maple Leafs decided to keep the winger. I see two reasons. First, Nylander is six years younger. Second, they might not be able to fit Pietrangelo’s extension (he’s eligible in July) and would prefer someone with term in that particular trade. It doesn’t mean they can’t/won’t re-consider him in the future.
They are doing due diligence on defencemen. They’re not crazy about term, but may consider some length if the cap hit is small enough. The defenceman has trade protection, but if Novice-age teammate John Tavares can handle Toronto, no reason Pietrangelo can’t.

Reactions: RoarBacon

member 157595

I find it hard to believe that St. Louis offered up Pietrangelo in trade in exchange for Nylander without a big add from our end.

If Armstrong wanted Nylander for Pietrangelo straight up and Dubas turned that down I'd be break-everything-in-my-vicinity pissed.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
Can't really add a Pietrangelo type D without cap going the other way and Doug Armstrong doesn't really lose trades. I doubt the idea that Zaitsev would be taken unless scouts think highly of him, or the premium of Kapanen/Johnsson are going along with picks. Pietrangelo is a bonafide number 1, who has been dragged down by playing with trash partners recently (Edmunson, Gunnarsson, Bouwmeester). I doubt there is a trade to be won here.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Nobody is happier than Ron Hainsey. He still gets to keep his top pairing spot.

dNuKYNI.gif

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I find it hard to believe that St. Louis offered up Pietrangelo in trade in exchange for Nylander without a big add from our end.

If Armstrong wanted Nylander for Pietrangelo straight up and Dubas turned that down I'd be break-everything-in-my-vicinity pissed.
Exactly. The Blues aren't moving a #1 defenseman for a 60 point winger with upside. Not unless they are 100% certain he wasn't extending here, which would be highly unlikely at this point.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Unless Pietrangelo says he won't re-sign, I see no reason for St. Louis to move him for anything short of Nylander. Kapanen/Johnsson don't solve any issues for the Blues - they've got lots of young talented forwards coming through the organization.

Reactions: Snowman

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Why?

No Gm would trade a 22 player of Nylander’s caliber for a guy whose going to be UFA in under 2 seasons.

DualThreat23

Nov 28, 2018
Leafs would probably have to pay a "Prime Pietrangelo" price to get him and while he's still very good, it's pretty clear he's already reached the summit and has started the slow trek down the other side of the hill.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto

You say it jokingly but this core just hasn’t got it done and rebuilding may not be the worst because they have a lot of nice pieces and trading some keeping others would make it a smoother rebuild.

Also just remembered they traded their first this year. So next year for sure would be the better time to start a rebuild

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I am glad we kept the long term signed 22 year old Nylander over dealing him for the 28 year old declining 1.5 years left on contract Pietrangelo.

That's the kind of move that only looks good if you win a cup. In every other circumstance your are thinking too short term.
He just had a career year last year....... and now he's declining at 28yrs old?

Has a certain poster just beat you down?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
You say it jokingly but this core just hasn’t got it done and rebuilding may not be the worst because they have a lot of nice pieces and trading some keeping others would make it a smoother rebuild.

Also just remembered they traded their first this year. So next year for sure would be the better time to start a rebuild
Remember when it was time for Washington to kickstart the rebuild, with older players?

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
What I'm wondering is what part of St. Louis' problems is solved by trading away a #1 defenseman.
Trading him might not be the best option but sometimes when things just aren’t working the whole lineup might need to be revamped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad