Leafs among teams interested in undrafted Justin Brazeau.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Can the little guy skate? Id rather have him.

Guys like Brazeau used to have to become face punchers if they wanted an NHL contract. Now they dont get one at all.

Skating can be taught, and we have Barb Underhill .. ;)

Here are the kinds of players Leafs usually have interest in ..

Kyle Maksimovich - Ottawa 67’s
LW - 5’9” - 175lbs
18/19 stats: 59GP - 35G - 43A - 78Pts

Maskimovich is a player familiar to the Maple Leafs. He was invited to the post-draft prospects camp in 2017, and played with Travis Dermott on the 14/15 Erie Otters. He was a career Otter, winning the OHL championship in 2017, and was traded to the top OHL team - Ottawa 67’s - at the trade deadline in January. He’s been a point per game or more player since his sophomore season in the OHL, and can move and puck handle like any top player on his team. He’s attracted attention from a few teams aside from the Leafs.

The Maple Leafs invite lots of players to development camp, both their own draft picks and some free agents from the junior leagues. One invitee was Kyle Maksimovich, the point per game winger who flew under the radar last season with the Otters. It wasn’t hard to miss him, as most eyes were on Alex DeBrincat, Dylan Strome, free agent defender Darryl Raddysh and his brother Taylor.

Alan Lyszczarczyk - Mississauga Steelheads
LW - 5’10” - 175 lbs
18/19 stats: 56GP - 33G - 38A - 71Pts

Alan Lyszczarczyk is another player the Maple Leafs have shown interest in, as he attended rookie camp in 2016. He was traded to the Steelheads early this season and is looking to hit 80 points in his final junior season.

Last edited:
Reactions: leafers

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Does he fight and hit lots?

Because if he doesnt, we already have a better skating version of this guy on the Marlies in Engvall

I don't know how you can suggest we dont need a prospect because we have another one...

Also, Brazeau will be a project wherever he goes. He is two years younger than Engvall, so there is lots of time to develop him

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Justin has attended training/development camps with the Detroit Red Wings, Columbus Blue Jackets, and San Jose Sharks in the past 3 years since going undrafted.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Speed cannot not be taught.

Maybe as a 5 year old.

Size can't be taught . :wg:

Bigger players that have had growth spurts tend to take longer to grow into their frames when they add muscle to their frames. 17-18 years are not physically mature yet so it takes time to build up leg strength to carry bigger bodies around the ice faster.

Now I'm a big fan of skating ability as the next guy, and as a prospect junkie always put it near the top of my list as a desirable in prospects and future NHL potential, but you can't teach 6'-6" and that is something a 5-9 player regardless of skating ability could ever achieve.

Now if you're taking a later round flyer on Justin Brazeau or a Dmytro Timashov, put me down for JT instead of DT gamble, and lets hire a good development coach and see what happens. ;)

Brazeau might a Brian Boyle type player, who is also 6-6 and not a great skater but approaching 800 NHL games, and over time has made his foot speed less of and issue.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

london flyer

Jan 2, 2018
skating is the easiest thing to work on....with the right training and equipment....I have seen the skating treadmill turn slugs into paul coffeys

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Nylander taking time to get back up to speed is important context to use, though. It's not cherry picking. There's no harm in looking at things a little deeper, man.

It's totally on Nylander that getting back up to speed was even something that needed to happen. He deserves criticism for that. But he put up two 60-point seasons before his deal, and is now operating at that pace again over the last little while. If anything, I'd say using his first two months against him to call him a "less than half a point ppg" player is cherry picking since you're not looking at the bigger picture.
He wasn't up to speed because of himself. He made the choice to sit and he made the choice to come back in garbage shape.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
you're the one cherry picking stats. Why don't you take his entire career into account? What a incredulously poor take. Your argument is worse than his season thus far (according to you).
is it not fair to judge a player based on a new contract he signed? If anything the fact he has been garbage this year just adds to my position of him being a selfish player.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
So you need to Cherry pick stats. Haha. His season is his season. And I compared it to Leivos. But keep defending less that half a point ppg for $7 mil
They are also made up stats. People think that they can post nonsense without others checking he has 12points in his last 20 games. 49 point pace no where near 60 point pace at all.

Reactions: yubbers

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

LW - 5’9” - 175lbs

Maskimovich is a player familiar to the Maple Leafs. He was invited to the post-draft prospects camp in 2017, and played with Travis Dermott on the 14/15 Erie Otters. He was a career Otter, winning the OHL championship in 2017, and was traded to the top OHL team - Ottawa 67’s - at the trade deadline in January. He’s been a point per game or more player since his sophomore season in the OHL, and can move and puck handle like any top player on his team. He’s attracted attention from a few teams aside from the Leafs.

The Maple Leafs invite lots of players to development camp, both their own draft picks and some free agents from the junior leagues. One invitee was Kyle Maksimovich, the point per game winger who flew under the radar last season with the Otters. It wasn’t hard to miss him, as most eyes were on Alex DeBrincat, Dylan Strome, free agent defender Darryl Raddysh and his brother Taylor.

LW - 5’10” - 175 lbs

Alan Lyszczarczyk is another player the Maple Leafs have shown interest in, as he attended rookie camp in 2016. He was traded to the Steelheads early this season and is looking to hit 80 points in his final junior season.

Skating stride and technique can be improved bad feet are not fixable. As well I would bet he has had lots of power skating instructors over the years.

I have not seen him skate so no idea of his feet at this point.

Barb could not fix Finn or Percy or Biggs.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Usually when 31 NHL teams pass you over there's a reason.

And it looks like it's because of his lead feet.

Pass you over 3 times! This guy is nothing if we get him he will be captain of the marlies one day maybe play 15 career nhl games.

The leafs are one of the worst teams for a player who is a shit skater. He should be self aware enough and bypass the leafs

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
skating is the easiest thing to work on....with the right training and equipment....I have seen the skating treadmill turn slugs into paul coffeys
Not a chance. You can extend your stride and change your skate recovery position as well as body positioning. But fast twitch muscles is genetics. You can work on foot work and it will improve but bad feet simply is not fixable.

If you were correct then everyone would skate like Rielly.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Pass you over 3 times! This guy is nothing if we get him he will be captain of the marlies one day maybe play 15 career nhl games.

The leafs are one of the worst teams for a player who is a **** skater. He should be self aware enough and bypass the leafs

Freddie Goat as an example

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Justin Brazeau is my kind of hockey player .. 6'6" & 225 lbs.

Who would you rather have a 5-9 170 pound player that can score 60 goals in junior or one that is 6-6 and 225 and blocks out the sun?

Hopefully Dubas lands the big fish and uses his hometown Ontario roots to that advantage. :crossfing

If I get the choice between Brazeau and Debrincat , I take Debrincat.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

LW - 5’9” - 175lbs

LW - 5’10” - 175 lbs

Can I buy a vowel on that name? It's like his ancestors were playing scrabble and got the shit end of the scrabble stick.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Skating stride and technique can be improved bad feet are not fixable. As well I would bet he has had lots of power skating instructors over the years.

I have not seen him skate so no idea of his feet at this point.

Barb could not fix Finn or Percy or Biggs.
It's always bizarre to me how people think skating is so simple to fix. Not just leafs fans but all fans. "He just needs a pro skating coach". I hate to tell you guys but pro skating coaches coach you from an early age. The leafs former skating coach, who was an Olympian, was my power skating coach for years. What I'm trying to say is, these guys have the coaches and always have. You dont put Barb Underhill in and she makes things better. Some guys just have cement feet.

Reactions: diceman934

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Not a chance. You can extend your stride and change your skate recovery position as well as body positioning. But fast twitch muscles is genetics. You can work on foot work and it will improve but bad feet simply is not fixable.

If you were correct then everyone would skate like Rielly.

I am just really curious, when you mentioned bad feet, what does that really mean? I just want to learn, as I don’t know how to skate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad