Friedman: Leafs "All in" for best forward they can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Foligno vs Laughton

this year NF 16 pts in 42 games, Laughs 17 pts in 37 games....edge Laughts
last year NF 31 pts in 67 games, Laughts 27 pts in 49 games....edge Laughts
2 yrs ago NF 35 pts in 73 games, Laughts 32 pts in 83 games....edge NF

Seems like the "type" of guy Dubas is going to target. Might come down to who is cheaper to get.

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Yeah it’s unfortunate that they made that Nash trade and now they aren’t allowed to make any others.
I’m sure Dubas even wanted to but the fans are the ones who make the decisions

I don't understand how people in here don't see this trade as a home run! Nash will be back in a few weeks and is prob the best 4th line center around. He will be a rock on the 4th line, is only 31 and cheap, and solidified our C depth on that line. The guy is made for playoffs.

Plus we get room on the cap for more moves. It was f***ing brilliant.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Foligno vs Laughton

Seems like the "type" of guy Dubas is going to target. Might come down to who is cheaper to get.
Feels like Laughton will be cheaper and fills a bigger need. I like Foligno, the guy is a heart and soul kinda player, but his name alone will make a GM overpay even with Folignos best days behind him. The Leafs aren't really looking for a point producer, that would be a bonus, more looking for a 3rd line guy who can kill penalties, defend and throw his weight around.

Reactions: Tripod

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What do you think he will cost because I don't think he would cost as much as Savard did
We've been asking the same (late 1st plus something minor, we'll handle retention) for both Savard and Foligno for the last several days, and folks were saying it'd never happen for Savard. I wouldn't count on that "not as much" assessment.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Foligno vs Laughton

If the price for Foligno is a first....I am offering the 1st for Laughton before I go down the road with Foligno. Without even thinking about it. If Foligno is discounted slightly then that may change things but if it is a premium then the choice is pretty obvious to me.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Depends if "all in" is actually in the cards.
Trying not to be biased but the Leafs have stockpiled pretty good assets for this very reason.

Sandin
Liljgren
Robertson
Amirov

Should be enticing prospects.
I know Leaf fans are worried about the ED, shortened year, and obviously the HF mentality of keeping prospects/picks - but if Dubas feels ready ( first in the league what more do you want), might be time.

The cost for both Rakell + Manson, retained, would be astronomical, especially considering Anaheim would have to retain 1.9 million on Rakell next year as well.

After watching what Savard went for today, would you be shocked if Anaheim asked for something like this?

To Toronto
Rickard Rakell (Retained)
Josh Manson (Retained)

To Anaheim
Nick Robertson
Timothy Liljegren
2021 2nd round pick
2022 1st round pick

Truthfully, they might want even more if we're being intellectually honest with ourselves.

I'm not saying Toronto doesn't have the pieces to do it, just that I'm not sure they would offer it. This might be their best chance for a deep run, they won't have to play another powerhouse like they have in the first round in previous years until the semi-finals (can't really call it conference finals this year). It won't be easy, but unlike previous years they should be the favorite to make it that far no matter who they play in the first two rounds.

Reactions: TorMapleJays

Mar 26, 2010
I am not convinced that Dubas is going to make any moves between now and the trade deadline. I think the team you see now is the team that Toronto will go into the playoffs with.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
If the price for Foligno is a first....I am offering the 1st for Laughton before I go down the road with Foligno. Without even thinking about it. If Foligno is discounted slightly then that may change things but if it is a premium then the choice is pretty obvious to me.

Yeah, to me Laughton is the better fit given that he's more mobile.

That being said, I think with Philly there should be potential for a different kind of deal; likely around Timothy Liljegren who could step into their lineup right away. Maybe the Leafs get some other piece in return as a result.

Liljegren is unlikely to get a real shot in Toronto, and would allow the Leafs to keep their 1st round pick this year, which should hold its value better than Liljegren playing in the AHL.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
:leafs

Scott Laughton @50%

:flyers

Alex Barabanov
2021 2nd
2021 5th (cond. 4th if the Leafs reach conference finals)

Miles Wood @50%

:devils

2021 1st
Nick Abruzzese
2022 4th (cond. 3rd if Leafs reach conference final in either year of Wood's current contract)

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016

Scott Laughton @50%

:flyers

Alex Barabanov
2021 2nd
2021 5th (cond. 4th if the Leafs reach conference finals)

Miles Wood @50%

:devils

2021 1st
Nick Abruzzese
2022 4th (cond. 3rd if Leafs reach conference final in either year of Wood's current contract)

I like the Laughton proposal. However, I am not much of a fan of the Wood proposal. Although wood, is a great 3rd liner who has immaculate speed and can score. I don't think that is the top of player we would throw a first at.

With these two deals in place the leafs would only have a
2021 5th, and a 2021 6th. Not necessarily ideal...

Reactions: uncleben

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I like the Laughton proposal. However, I am not much of a fan of the Wood proposal. Although wood, is a great 3rd liner who has immaculate speed and can score. I don't think that is the top of player we would throw a first at.

yeah i realize it is all but punting the 2021 draft...

thats what i feel like it would take to get Wood for 2 years at just over $1 million, with RFA status afterwards. Similar to the Kapanen deal. 1st and a good prospect for a cheap middle 6 young winger, on a great contract with RFA status.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

The 2021 draft should not be priority for a couple reasons first off no one has been able to scout so unless you are getting Owen Power and we aren't nobody has a clue.

Second as of this post they have the most points in the NHL and at worst will finish the night #2 it's go for it time, it's time to make the push draft picks aren't important in 2021

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Oh I guess Hutch is Okay now then, got it.
yeah i realize it is all but punting the 2021 draft...

thats what i feel like it would take to get Wood for 2 years at just over $1 million, with RFA status afterwards. Similar to the Kapanen deal. 1st and a good prospect for a cheap middle 6 young winger, on a great contract with RFA status.

A 1st for Miles wood? I'm all for trading our 1st but I'm not sure he's the guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad