Confirmed with Link: Leafs agree on 2 year deal with Reimer ($2.3M AAV)

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Great contract, now lets see if he stays or goes. I thought for sure he would get 3+ though.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Great cap hit... makes him keepable and tradeable!!!

I hope he returns to form this coming season and we're able to trade him at the deadline for something nice.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
It's pretty nice that the Leafs only have $5.3mil in cap space committed to goaltenders this year, especially considering I think we can expect above average goaltending. Bernier will be due for raise but if he earns one that isn't bad thing.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I like the signing.

Expected Reimer to play hardball...

Hope he accepts his role without being overly sour about it. Judging by the signing, he appears ready to do that.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
post-41219-South-Park-NICE-gif-Imgur-CQwo.gif

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Probably has 1 more year to prove himself or else he's outta here. And lucky for us it's a nice cap hit so he should be easily tradeable

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Not surprised Reimer took 2 years here. I still think Bernier is the better goalie and likely our #1 of the future, but his leash is not as long as Rask/Quick/Lundqvist quite yet.

An injury or bad stretch of play by Bernier plus good play by Reimer could bring the goalie contest right back.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Terrific, let the #1 Goalie battle begin. I am going to say this first, it wouldn't surprise me if Reimer comes to camp in terrific shape, and play better than Bernier.

The question is will Leafs deal him, or reward Bernier with the season opening start regardless of how Reimer plays.

To me Reimer deserves a shot at the #1G spot, if he wins it at training camp.

It began last season and Bernier was better.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Bernier outperformed Reimer last year by quite a bit, so unless Bernier goes full Colborne and royally ****s up during training camp and preseason, Bernier will get opening night.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
Solid contract. I still can't see this goalie tandem working. Both of these guys want to be still want to be starters. At least with this contract he has some good trade value.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well not bad.

Maybe Reimer did take less in order to give himself more trade value. Either way it's a cheap number which is fine by me.

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
Great deal - At this cap hit, we can afford to do whatever we want.

If i am Nonis, i wait out an entire season if i have to get max value in a trade. I am sure he explained as much to Reimer and perhaps even gave me a partial no-trade in the deal so he has "some" control on where he gets traded [Just speculating here], BUT great deal for Leafs from a numbers perspective! :handclap:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Great deal - At this cap hit, we can afford to do whatever we want.

If i am Nonis, i wait out an entire season if i have to get max value in a trade. I am sure he explained as much to Reimer and perhaps even gave me a partial no-trade in the deal so he has "some" control on where he gets traded [Just speculating here], BUT great deal for Leafs from a numbers perspective! :handclap:

James, you can't make yourself look good with words

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Here's a thought: Sign and trade?

Trade coming???

If it was, the trade would have happened by now.

People should really expect Reimer to be here for at least the first half of the season.

Having 2 good to great goaltenders is a hell of a lot better then just one.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
expecting a trade. He took less than he probably would have got in arbitration, 1 more year than arbitration which would have made him UFA. He wants to be a starter, a chance that barring something surprising won't happen here.

He probably accepted less for 1 more year and in return Nonis probably told him he would do whatever he can to trade him. Ups his value so we can get something a little decent for him hopefully, and he probably gets a better chance somewhere else.

I don't see how suddenly after wanted to be traded to be a starter somewhere else, he takes more years and less money to stay here when he's a 1B at best. There's no other logic behind that besides Nonis agreeing to trade him sooner than later.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
how much do we have left for Gardiner?!?

4.372M if you go to the cap... but we have 16 forwards on the cap right now, so our cap space will grow depending on who gets waived by opening day. Could have as much as 5M to 6M depending on who's waived and what not.

But you gotta leave some wiggle room in there, so I'd say we have around 3.5M to give to Gardiner, maybe a bit more if we give him term and take the risk.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
With someone like Granberg (800k) as the #7 D, the Leafs would have around 4.5M to 5M in space with only Gardiner left to sign.

Maybe even more after they send Orr and Smith and whoever else down.

Closer to 6million I think.

That leafs plenty to sign Gards and have a cushion to make trades or w/e.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad