Confirmed with Link: Leafs add Hayley Wickenheiser, Noelle Needham and Victor Carneiro to front office

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Exactly, you don’t fight discrimination with discrimination...

But again, this shouldn’t be a quota type thing... how much is ‘enough’?

People should be treated like people, and most qualified people should get jobs. There shouldn’t be any more to it...

Agreed 100%

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Exactly, you don’t fight discrimination with discrimination...

But again, this shouldn’t be a quota type thing... how much is ‘enough’?

People should be treated like people, and most qualified people should get jobs. There shouldn’t be any more to it...

Yep, in a perfect world.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I agree with the above. Ive got respect for her and her accomplishments thats all fine, respect is respect. The problem is this feels like a bullshit diversity push, how applicable is her experience to teaching nhl prospects? Its a completely different game entirely. She has limited experience with men’s hockey, This just feels really greasy from a credential and value standpoint.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Hogwash. How do you think Hayley Wickenheiser actually played hockey? Certainly not as a perimeter player. Elite female hockey players understand physicality as much as any other hockey player does. Maybe more because they get to experience its role when they play down to competition that isn't used to it and play up to competition who hold a distinct advantage with it.

Where did I say anything about perimeter play? They're objectively allowed to get away with less physical plays to separate players from the puck just based on their rulebook, this forces them to find other ways to leverage their strength to keep or obtain control rather than just plastering someone into the boards. This kind of skillset would be useful for our smaller wingers.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I agree with the above. Ive got respect for her and her accomplishments thats all fine, respect is respect. The problem is this feels like a bull**** diversity push, how applicable is her experience to teaching nhl prospects? Its a completely different game entirely. She has limited experience with men’s hockey, This just feels really greasy from a credential and value standpoint.
She was actually brought on as a contract to try her out. This wasn't a blind hiring

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Heard Carniero was a lock to be hired a week ago, and posted as such. I hope he decides that watching soccer highlights on his instagram is not a good use of his time at the rink, and actually watches the entire game.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
No. Nothing easy about med school.
That's like saying Nylander isn't a 1st-liner because he isn't as good as Marner...

I never said it was easy, I implied that it may be easier for some than it is for others. You really don't believe that some people have an advantage in our society or in certain professional fields based on their gender, age, sexual orientation, etc.?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Hayley seems like a PC type move. Dont really get what she's done to justify the hire, but I'm sure she wont be doing anything too impactful so probably doesn't matter much in the long run.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
That's like saying Nylander isn't a 1st-liner because he isn't as good as Marner...

I never said it was easy, I implied that it may be easier for some than it is for others. You really don't believe that some people have an advantage in our society or in certain professional fields based on their gender, age, sexual orientation, etc.?

Women can go to and succeed at med school just the same as men. Saying otherwise is some SJW nonsense.

Reactions: dsred

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Sure. When I was in high school, we had a field trip to the Darlington Nuclear plant. The engineers there explained that they were always looking for some good engineers but if you were male, forget it...Ontario Hydro was only looking to hire women. That was in the 80's. Needless to say, I chose not to get into nuclear engineering.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Sure. When I was in high school, we had a field trip to the Darlington Nuclear plant. The engineers there explained that they were always looking for some good engineers but if you were male, forget it...Ontario Hydro was only looking to hire women. That was in the 80's. Needless to say, I chose not to get into nuclear engineering.

Because of that field trip?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
This sounds like something a failure would say who is trying to justify why they didn't succeed in life.
And this sounds like someone who's afraid to admit that society may have given them a head start in life.

I'm privileged - I walk around all day, every day, not needing to give 2 shits what people think about me based on my gender, age, skin colour, sexual orientation, any of it. Not everybody gets to experience that, and I hardly see how pointing out that this discrepancy is systemic within our society is in anyway a justification of my own failures.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
She was actually brought on as a contract to try her out. This wasn't a blind hiring
Dude im a man of odds, I just cant see a world where her credentials (within the realm of pro mens hockey) came before the public view/rep/diversity initiatives.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Women can go to and succeed at med school just the same as men. Saying otherwise is some SJW nonsense.
They can, and they do. Yet somehow there are still huge discrepancies in positions of power within the medical community based on gender, and there are still reports of female residents being told that they won't be able to lead their own practice like their male partner will, because one of them will need to take care of their children.

They do go to medical school, they do excel, and they still don't advance at the same rates that men do.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
And this sounds like someone who's afraid to admit that society may have given them a head start in life.

I'm privileged - I walk around all day, every day, not needing to give 2 ****s what people think about me based on my gender, age, skin colour, sexual orientation, any of it. Not everybody gets to experience that, and I hardly see how pointing out that this discrepancy is systemic within our society is in anyway a justification of my own failures.

It's not about you in particular. Well it is, if you use gender or race as a crutch for not succeeding in life. Then you would fall into the category I mentioned.

If a man and a woman go into med school, the man isn't pulled aside and given all the answers to the exams and a guaranteed residency at a top medical outfit. While the woman is given a tattered textbook and told she has to walk six miles to and from her classes everyday and if she's every late she will be kicked out of school.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
And yet there you were searching me.
Curious to see if someone with a stylized handle synced with external accounts trying to cultivate a persona was a somebody or just someone that thinks they're somebody. Had my answer before the elevator moved.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
They can, and they do. Yet somehow there are still huge discrepancies in positions of power within the medical community based on gender, and there are still reports of female residents being told that they won't be able to lead their own practice like their male partner will, because one of them will need to take care of their children.

They do go to medical school, they do excel, and they still don't advance at the same rates that men do.

Lol. I would love to see some scientific research to back that up. Sounds like the front page of SJW Weekly.

Reactions: dsred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad