Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Muzzin for Grundstrom, Durzi and a 2019 first round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
They accumulated a lot of room before Nylander signed. They were about $17-18 million under the cap then and accumulated a lot of cap space for later in the season. Hope there are more moves to come!

Over 4 mil in space this year.

I think that the Armchair GM must look at it more simply and look at it as if it's day 1 of the season.

Reactions: kb

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
At first I thought we overpaid. Calming down, looking at what we lost I don't like it. However Muzzin really improves out blue line. We also have him at a reasonable cost next year. Smart and calculated by Dubas. We keep our best two defensive prospects. And lost no one off our roster.

The interesting part now is does Dubas move Jake and maybe get a veteran defense man back at a reduced price while selling Jake at a higher price. I believe the Leafs should have moved JVR and Bozak at the deadline last season. Those would have been assets we could deal right now. Our blue line wasn't good enough to win. And it was still a very young team. This team is much better than last years team. BUT it has a different GM who looks ahead in making his moves. This is Dubas's first really big trade. I think it will be looked back on as very good.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
Saw we traded for Muzzin and automatically thought one of liljegren, Kapanen, johnsson was part of the deal. Was surprisingly happy with what we parted with. We have forward deph on the Marlies (Moore, Marchant, Bracco) to fill out our deph the next couple of years so losing grundtrom isn't that bad of a hit.

We can also sign cheap vets ala Ennis if needed.

Reactions: kb and Ziggdiezan

leafsrule123

Apr 28, 2010
Castleton
Dubas most likely did his homework and looked around the league at multiple D man, something tells me the prices for “Piece, Hamilton, Petro, etc” were way to much. Sounds like he wants to keep Lili and Sandin because we will need less expensive options on our roster eventually. Good move all around only time will tell if it was worth it. Can’t assume every prospect will become a stud in the future, Grunstrom is a 3rd liner at best who we have lots of in the system, and Durzi is a 5/6 D top 4 is pushing it. Time will tell!

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I don't like the assets we had to give up, but I didn't think we'd be able to get a top pairing defenceman without giving up Kapanen, Sandin, or Liljegren. I think this type of deal had to be made if we were going to address our D concerns.

I would not be against adding Gudas still either, but cap management may be tough to add another 3+ million contract with any term left.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I like grundstrom as much as the next guy, but his value among Leafs fans has gotten fairly inflated since most of them the best young forwards are all already on the Leafs. He really isn’t anything particularly special.

Wish him the best in his career though

But this is the trade you need to jump on: flipping 2nd tier assets for a player who can make a major impact and not just be another depth guy

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I like grundstrom as much as the next guy, but his value among Leafs fans has gotten fairly inflated since most of them the best young forwards are all already on the Leafs. He really isn’t anything particularly special.

Wish him the best in his career thougg.

But this is the trade you need to jump on: flipping 2nd tier assets for a player who can make a major impact and not just be another depth guy
Agreed on that, don't see him having production above a 3rd line level in the NHL. Good prospect, but not devastated to see him go for a legit top 4 defenceman.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
We need that for the bonuses, we can’t afford to pay them next season. We’re almost capped out if everyone hits their bonuses.

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

toronto_maple_leafs.svg

PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg
: $75,451,075

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg
: $0

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $4,048,925

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $11,075,001

DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $18,827,501
TODAYS CAP HIT
q.svg
: $80,911,111
ROSTER SIZE: 23/23
CONTRACTS: 46/50
RESERVE LIST: 68/90
GENERAL MANAGER: Kyle Dubas
HEAD COACH: Mike Babcock

Cap friendly says the Leafs have over $11 million in current cap space. Even factoring in bonuses, they have a fair bit of room to make more deals.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

toronto_maple_leafs.svg

PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg
: $75,451,075

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg
: $0

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $4,048,925

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $11,075,001

DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $18,827,501
TODAYS CAP HIT
q.svg
: $80,911,111
ROSTER SIZE: 23/23
CONTRACTS: 46/50
RESERVE LIST: 68/90
GENERAL MANAGER: Kyle Dubas
HEAD COACH: Mike Babcock

Cap friendly says the Leafs have over $11 million in current cap space. Even factoring in bonuses, they have a fair bit of room to make more deals.

There is a reason we don’t want to use LTIR, I just can’t recall why. Does anyone know what advantage we have not using LTIR this year?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
There is a reason we don’t want to use LTIR, I just can’t recall why. Does anyone know what advantage we have not using LTIR this year?

We don't want to dip into it and we want to have enough cap space to eat any bonuses our players like Matthews, Marner etc hit so that the bonuses don't eat into next years cap.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Using any LTIR room this year would mean that all performance bonuses earned this year would be pushed to next year, which would be disastrous.

BudsOne

Jan 17, 2019
We need that for the bonuses, we can’t afford to pay them next season. We’re almost capped out if everyone hits their bonuses.
GARDINER IS OFF THE BOOKS @ 4,050,000 so its wash for next season Gardiner is gonna want north of 5.5 closer to 6 perhaps even 7 M per good luck... Toronto can not afford him at that number so bye bye Thats why I like the idea if the leafs would entertain calls for him now.. Perhaps a seasoned veteran on the back end no one flashy but who plays minutes and is tough in his own end to make those want to get in on Andersen a little tougher.. Newflash Boys and Girls No Andersen no play off run as Dubas literally gave away the depth in goal on waivers....

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yes. However, Muzzin will be the guy moving to the right side, not Rielly.

As I have said and the poster you quoted, it is silly to move a guy to the opposite side when he's having a Norris calibre season on a cup contending team. Especially when defense is supposed to be their weakness.

Rielly is the better player, he's also played more RD than Muzzin I believe and Rielly uses his skating to get out of his own zone, he doesn't just pass it out all the time

All I care about is who's the best option, that looks like Rielly to me

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
You need to look a little deeper. Cap friendly is not applying what the expected cap is supposed to be. They have it holding at 79, while its expected to be at 83m. They are also not putting Horton on LTIR, which obviously he will be, freeing up another 5.25m.

Really, its doable with the above numbers. If we can somehow move Zaitsev or Marleau its no problem at all. At worst, someone like Brown needs to be dumped.

Gardiner is clearly gone. And who cares about Marincin? Sparks wont demand much more theb league minimum. Kapanen and Johnsson arent going to get crazy deals either.
Either the Marleau contract has to go. Or, Zaitsev and Brown or AJ the way I have broken it down with the ELC raises and such. Rosen will be in. OZ gets a slight raise as does Lindholm and I'm talking slight. If we want to keep Kappy this will be the only way I can see it going sadly. Never thought I'd be upset about the Kessel retention.... now I am lol This is without Gards of course.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
GARDINER IS OFF THE BOOKS @ 4,050,000 so its wash for next season Gardiner is gonna want north of 5.5 closer to 6 perhaps even 7 M per good luck... Toronto can not afford him at that number so bye bye Thats why I like the idea if the leafs would entertain calls for him now.. Perhaps a seasoned veteran on the back end no one flashy but who plays minutes and is tough in his own end to make those want to get in on Andersen a little tougher.. Newflash Boys and Girls No Andersen no play off run as Dubas literally gave away the depth in goal on waivers....

We need Gardiner and the bonuses gone to afford Marner and Matthews. There is no reason to bring any bonuses into next year.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Using any LTIR room this year would mean that all performance bonuses earned this year would be pushed to next year, which would be disastrous.

Thank you, I knew there was a reason we couldn’t use that cap space.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Muzzin is going to look good in the East I think, probably going to be fresher than he's used to come April.

My favorite part of this trade is that we set the market for Tampa and Boston to make additions. Is Tampa going to be comfortable moving another 1st++ after getting McDonagh? Is Boston willing to risk a big add in a year that doesn't seem like a good one for them to go all in?

Reactions: OddyOh

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
Good trade. Hate to lose grunny but didn't see him cracking the top 6 forwards.. and maybe not the top 9.

Can this open up another move?
Just spit balling but move gards or zietsev for another rhd?
If you hated to lose Grunny but you couldn't see him cracking the top 6 forwards and maybe not the top 9. Then why would you hate losing him? Just wondering.

Reactions: BayStBullies
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad