Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Muzzin for Grundstrom, Durzi and a 2019 first round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Man, this is terrific. Muzzin is that all-round top-pairing d-man that we really needed. He's great at transition defense and zone defense, good at transitioning the puck, great on the PK, can play on the PP and provide something offensively (though expect lower point totals as a Leaf.)

The price was a late 1st, which I count as a tier 4 pick, Grundström who I think is a good bet to become a Hyman-level player, and Durzi who is a bit of a wild card. For two years of a terrific player, that's a price I pay every day.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It kinda shocks me that they picked up a 29 year old, even though they picked up Hainsey and Papa Marleau who is much older, still surprises me that they targeted a guy who has 1.5 years left on his contract, will probably get a raise at the end of that contract and is hovering around 30.

I'm with Daisy. You make it sound like 29 is over the hill. Muzzin the player and the contract is a perfect fit. If they decide not to resign him, he is a bridge to Lily and Sandin. Nothing not to like about this deal. Button said it nicely. This is a 500 foot home run.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Great trade.
We are famous for overrating our prospects. Grundstrom could be a decent NHLer, but we thought the same thing about countless other prospects. Remember Brendan Leipsic? Tyler Biggs? Soshnikov? They were all supposed to be sure fire NHLers. How about Durzi? Remember Stuart Percy? Matt Finn?
Prospects almost never pan out. Muzzin is a legit top 4 (top 2 for us) dman who plays 20+ minutes a night. Plays the PK, PP, and he's won before. We have him for this year, and next for less than Zaitsev.

I'm not saying LA didn't do well, they did. They got some nice pieces that may eventually contribute. We got a legit dman without having to give up Kapanen, Johnsson, Sandin or Lily. Which was supposed to be impossible according to the main board.

Love the trade. This is a clear win for Dubas. Going out and getting the exact thing we needed a whole month before the deadline, at a solid price.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
NOT at all.

Reilly-Muzzin
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

sit Ozhi and Marincin and Holl and whoever else is sitting in the press box.

Leafs still need 1 more dman for depth. doesnt need to be a top 4 guy.
I'd rather have Hainsey with Gards. Just to break up Gardiner - Zaitsev pairing. Zaitsev has looked so much better with Jake out of the lineup.

Reactions: kb

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm with Daisy. You make it sound like 29 is over the hill. Muzzin the player and the contract is a perfect fit. If they decide not to resign him, he is a bridge to Lily and Sandin. Nothing not to like about this deal. Button said it nicely. This is a 500 foot home run.
There's the rub, even if we can't resign him, the two kids should realistically be ready. On the low end, the perfect stop gap, because we are losing Gardiner as well. In the meantime, let's win a cup!!

Reactions: ToneDog

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Great trade if it means there is another domino to fall.

This trade should open up the opportunity for trading Gardiner who is an asset that wont be retained after this season.

Zaitsev has looked better with Dermott. Different partner has helped Zaitsev and this pairing will allow for Dermott to better develop his game.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Can anybody be answer me why Muzzin has terrible giveaway/takeaway numbers every year (the whole LA D does too since the last decade)? Is he a turnover machine? With how much he hits I’d figure his takeaway stat would be significantly higher. Does the LA arena keep unreliable stats or has the LA D been unreliable?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Bold move by Dubas that should help our club immensely. The price was steep but palatable given Muzzin's pedigree.

That was my instinct at first then i thought about it after watching many reviews of the trade sports, that put it into perspective for me, we traded a guy who will probably become a NHL 3rd liner, a D prospect who is offensively minded but needs a lot of work defensively and a 1st rounder that is probably more like a 2nd rounder, the word is this years draft drops off significantly after the 20th pick. In return we get a top pairing D-Man. Could they all turn out to be studs, sure but the likely hood is they will all turn out to be complimentary players for a top pairing Dman with a bomb (think Phaneuf - same accuracy) for a shot from the point.

I was skeptical at first, mainly because I like the type of player Grundstom is and had high hopes (maybe too high) but perspective and sleep has me liking this trade a little more than my initial reaction. I'm 51% like this trade, 49% don't like this trade... ;)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I guess the shock comes from many many reports that the Leafs were interested in players that were around the core age and no older than 25 years old. 29 is not old at all, it's just outside the range I thought the Leafs were targeting.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Btw going by the takeaway stat, Slavin is one of the best in the league and I think that makes sense but Muzzin isn’t even in the top 30 for D.

Just a bit concerning. Still love the trade as Dubas finally showed some love for a gritty, big hitting and sizeable player. Go out and grab Gudas and a forward and we’re set!

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
A day removed from the trade... Muzzin will be a great fit.

I’m glad we didn’t go for Tanev/Faulk.

Yes i agree. Muzzin was among my most desirable trade candidates. I think he will add many of the things that are missing on this blueline.

This is the kind of “hockey trade” that this team needed to make. If we were to surrender young assets and picks, i wanted it to be for more than just a rental.

I wonder if other options are being explored to bolster this D group before the playoffs.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
Canucks fan in peace. To those saying "trade Gardiner at the deadline for picks and prospects to restock the minors" or "I don't like giving up those futures"... what are you thinking? The point of accumulating assets for the future is to someday be in a position to go for it.... otherwise what's the point? What's the goal in building a team?

The day for the Leafs to go for it has arrived. Look at the lineup. Tavares (!). Marner/Matthews giving superstar production on ELCs. Kadri/Nylander/Kapenen. Some useful bangers like Hyman and Brown. I mean, what on earth are you waiting for? If not now, when? My impression of the Leafs for the last few years is that of a team that could score and skate, but were a little bit fragile defensively against a heavy forward team (cough, Boston). Sounds like that's been shored up. Enjoy the ride!

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I guess the shock comes from many many reports that the Leafs were interested in players that were around the core age and no older than 25 years old. 29 is not old at all, it's just outside the range I thought the Leafs were targeting.

I like the mix of vets and youngsters. Muzzin also has lots of playoff experience and has a SC ring.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The Muzzin deal has also taken Willie and booing Jake out of the spotlight.
Good, underrated point.

Can anybody be answer me why Muzzin has terrible giveaway/takeaway numbers every year (the whole LA D does too since the last decade)? Is he a turnover machine? With how much he hits I’d figure his takeaway stat would be significantly higher. Does the LA arena keep unreliable stats or has the LA D been unreliable?
Separating the puck from a player with a hit doesn't always count as a takeaway. As for giveaways, I think you touched on it when you said the whole LA team gets a ton of giveaways. I'd say there's some rink bias - can't find away numbers so can't verify - and add that LA has been a premiere possession team for so long. If you have the puck a lot and make a lot more plays with it, you'll give it up more too.

If you look at the micro level, Muzzin looks great in how well he moves the puck with a high success rate. It'll be interesting to see how long he needs to get used to the way we play, you probably can't find two teams as different tactically than LA and Toronto.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Yes i agree. Muzzin was among my most desirable trade candidates. I think he will add many of the things that are missing on this blueline.

This is the kind of “hockey trade” that this team needed to make. If we were to surrender young assets and picks, i wanted it to be for more than just a rental.

I wonder if other options are being explored to bolster this D group before the playoffs.

I think our D really looks great now honestly.

We finally got a real partner for Rielly for the first time in his career. Babs can lean on that pair heavily now which will give Gardiner/Zaitsev some easier minutes on most nights.

Hainsey is old and slow but still will be effective in a 3rd pair spot and can be a great mentor for Dermott to take that next step IMO.

Reactions: MoreMogilny

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That was my instinct at first then i thought about it after watching many reviews of the trade sports, that put it into perspective for me, we traded a guy who will probably become a NHL 3rd liner, a D prospect who is offensively minded but needs a lot of work defensively and a 1st rounder that is probably more like a 2nd rounder, the word is this years draft drops off significantly after the 20th pick. In return we get a top pairing D-Man. Could they all turn out to be studs, sure but the likely hood is they will all turn out to be complimentary players for a top pairing Dman with a bomb (think Phaneuf - same accuracy) for a shot from the point.

I was skeptical at first, mainly because I like the type of player Grundstom is and had high hopes (maybe too high) but perspective and sleep has me liking this trade a little more than my initial reaction. I'm 51% like this trade, 49% don't like this trade... ;)

Let's see where you are in a few weeks.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The Muzzin deal has also taken Willie and booing Jake out of the spotlight.

Totally pulling this out of my butt but do you think Jake's sudden condition ( "back spasm's") have more to do with the pressure of being booed than actual back issues? Could Jake have requested a trade and is sitting out till he gets traded? Most people would say its not a big deal to get booed, pro's get booed all the time but imagine 15,000 fans or 5,000 fans boo you... that would be pretty intense... depending on how sensitive Jake is that could really crush a guy the most I ever had boo me at a hockey game was 2 people, my Mom and dad ... tough crowd (kidding) ;)

Would have loved for one of the Leafs to pull a Price and tell Leaf nation to relax and chill.

58 second mark:

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
We’re a contending team. We stocked our cupboards to make moves like this. We filled a huge need in a top 4 defenseman (with pedigree and physicality) who is signed cheap as hell next year (Gardiner replacement) for no one off the main roster.

Preferably we pick up Gudas to get rid of Hainsey or a LW but I see only one of the other happening since we really only have our 2nd to play with

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Totally pulling this out of my butt but do you think Jake's sudden condition ( "back spasm's") have more to do with the pressure of being booed than actual back issues? Could Jake have requested a trade and is sitting out till he gets traded? Most people would say its not a big deal to get booed, pro's get booed all the time but imagine 15,000 fans or 5,000 fans boo you... that would be pretty intense... depending on how sensitive Jake is that could really crush a guy the most I ever had boo me at a hockey game was 2 people, my Mom and dad ... tough crowd (kidding) ;)

Would have loved for one of the Leafs to pull a Price and tell Leaf nation to relax and chill.

58 second mark:

I was puzzled by the timing. I actually thought it was the "boo flu" more than back spasms. I do not think Jake asked for a trade. The break will be a nice reset for the boys. Jake should get a fresh start and few wins will put all the noise in the past.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I think our D really looks great now honestly.

We finally got a real partner for Rielly for the first time in his career. Babs can lean on that pair heavily now which will give Gardiner/Zaitsev some easier minutes on most nights.

Hainsey is old and slow but still will be effective in a 3rd pair spot and can be a great mentor for Dermott to take that next step IMO.

Yeah don’t get me wrong, I woke up thinking about how much more comfortable I am with this group going into the playoffs, as we are suddenly much more well rounded.

I just wouldn’t be opposed to bringing in an experienced 5/6 D who can handle some heavy playoff hockey. Thinking about another series against Boston makes me want to have another guy back there who can manhandle opposing forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad