Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Muzzin for Grundstrom, Durzi and a 2019 first round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Might be a better chance for Grundy to become an Arvidsson light (wich he could be). And great for leafs, so win/win thus far.

Reactions: canadon

The90

Feb 27, 2017
GARDINER IS OFF THE BOOKS @ 4,050,000 so its wash for next season Gardiner is gonna want north of 5.5 closer to 6 perhaps even 7 M per good luck... Toronto can not afford him at that number so bye bye Thats why I like the idea if the leafs would entertain calls for him now.. Perhaps a seasoned veteran on the back end no one flashy but who plays minutes and is tough in his own end to make those want to get in on Andersen a little tougher.. Newflash Boys and Girls No Andersen no play off run as Dubas literally HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO give away the depth in goal on waivers....

Fixed it for you

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
This is a fantastic trade for the Leafs! just found out about this now, I was stuck on the DVP for 5 hours last night!! we didn’t trade Liljegren or Sandin or any roster player for Muzzin, our defence has improved significantly. I wanted Muzzin for a long while now and if Dubas can somehow pry Simmonds (who apparently is on the block) out of Philly we’re set for a playoff run. Wouldn’t mind adding another D either for depth.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Short term, I love it.

Longer term, i'm a little bit nervous as I think Grundstrom and Durzi have a chance of being legit NHL'ers, and the 1st is a mystery box.

But i'm happy to have Muzzin in Toronto for sure.

Sign me off a reasonably happy. Delighted if Muzzin sticks around long term. Pissed off if he doesn't.

RubberHead

Apr 15, 2018
I like the trade, Looks like their going for it this year. Leafs have to get their goaltending sorted out.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Guy's got a pretty heavy shot too

None of our d-men really have a good slapper could be an interesting weapon for say the PP which I feel could really use that big shot from the point. Not saying he's going to be Paul Coffey or anything but it might be worth a try if the PP continues to struggle.

Outstanding shot at. 19 sec

Reactions: Blair

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
images

Reactions: kb

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
This is a fantastic trade for the Leafs! just found out about this now, I was stuck on the DVP for 5 hours last night!! we didn’t trade Liljegren or Sandin or any roster player for Muzzin, our defence has improved significantly. I wanted Muzzin for a long while now and if Dubas can somehow pry Simmonds (who apparently is on the block) out of Philly we’re set for a playoff run. Wouldn’t mind adding another D either for depth.

Simmonds and Gudas is just what the doctor ordered.

Trade Gardiner to recoup some picks

Brown + Bracco + 2nd + 4th
For
Simmonds + Gudas

Kadri + Zaitsev ( price to dump )
For
Faulk

Simmonds - Matthews - Kapanen
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Johnsson
Moore - Lindholm - Ennis

Rielly - Faulk
Muzzin - Hainsey
Dermott - Gudas

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
So to clarify we dont have to show up outside of Dubas' office with pitchforks. Muzzin can play on his off wing even though he shoots left?

He played the left side exclusively with the Kings. Doesn't necessarily mean he's unable to play the right side obviously, I guess we will find out.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I think we might see a Rielly Gardiner top pair for a bit:

Rielly Gardiner
Muzzin Hainsey
Dermott Zaitsev
Marincin Ozhiganov

Everyone but Gardiner slots nicely. Rielly Gardiner pair can play offence and defence and play well together.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Gardiner's UFA status is unfortunate timing given Matthews & Marner coming in, and Marleau just on his last year. Getting Muzzin is killing 2 birds with 1 stone:

a) Sliding that top 3 D-man UFA negotiation out by a year, and sliding some development time for Lilly and Sandin out by a year
b) Additional defensive help for the playoffs with some time to work on systems before things really tighten up

If Gards came in too expensive for 2019-20 (likely), and Dubas had to solve these 2 problems with 2 separate transactions, that would cost almost twice the price.

This was very good problem solving, imo.

Think about it -- status quo for this kind of situation is you overpay for your bottom pairing D (Polak) at the trade deadline. Then when we can't sign Gards, we're either even worse off next year, or we pay even more for a cost-controlled D-man when everyone's dealing after July 1. We'll be going into trade negotations with a bunch of teams who think they're going to make the playoffs that won't, or lost their big fix in FA.

Reactions: Chindis

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Simmonds and Gudas is just what the doctor ordered.

Trade Gardiner to recoup some picks

Brown + Bracco + 2nd + 4th
For
Simmonds + Gudas

Kadri + Zaitsev ( price to dump )
For
Faulk

Simmonds - Matthews - Kapanen
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Johnsson
Moore - Lindholm - Ennis

Rielly - Faulk
Muzzin - Hainsey
Dermott - Gudas
Dubas has already said he is not interested in rentals so Simmonds is a no.

Reactions: Al14

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Being from Toronto he will sign with us before he becomes a ufa.
not only that, but hopefully when its time to re-sign him in the 2020-2021 season we are out of cap hell with Marleau gone, and maybe Zaitsev dumped as well. I think Horton comes off the books around then as well so we don't have to worry about using his cap space and the effect on bonuses, etc.
Man, this is such a win win.
And I can't believe the gnashing of teeth over giving up Grundstrom, the first and Durzi. We have an ELITE defenseman coming back our way who hits and is tough, did people want Dubas to trade but not give anything up? And nothing went off of our roster, and we kept Lilly and Sandin!
Dubas, A+++

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It's a bit comical to me to see guys I've argued with about our clear need to upgrade the D now jumping all over this trade, even bragging about it. Thought we were good? Never change.

This move should really give the team a shot in the arm, not only are we better, but it signals the time is now. Could be a fun spring!

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's a bit comical to me to see guys I've argued with about our clear need to upgrade the D now jumping all over this trade, even bragging about it. Thought we were good? Never change.

This move should really give the team a shot in the arm, not only are we better, but it signals the time is now. Could be a fun spring!

Same people are saying we are tough enough.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
like i said - I give zero craps about it, but i know this is something the organization has talked about a lot so it was really more of athought. Like i said i know the organization has wanted Muzzin for years (like going back to Nonis days years), so it doesn't shock me that we finally got him

It kinda shocks me that they picked up a 29 year old, even though they picked up Hainsey and Papa Marleau who is much older, still surprises me that they targeted a guy who has 1.5 years left on his contract, will probably get a raise at the end of that contract and is hovering around 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->